Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat 400 4x4 vs 500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much difference in torque, top speed, climbing ability between the 400 and the 500. I'm looking for practial experience to decide if I really need a 500. I have a buddy that has a Honda 450 and a couple of buddy's that ride Polaris'(not sure about their model of Polaris). I do want to be able to keep up with them on hill shooting/trail riding and the like. I know that I'm not going to touch the top speed of the Polaris' with any of the 'Cats but I don't want to be left in the dust either. I know I'm definately gonna buy a 02 Cat and it either gonna be the 400 4x4 or 500 4x4 (although I hear the 375 is a pretty quick machine, but I want a manual shift).

EtherNut

Old 10-24-2001, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its a well know verse that ACs are NOT known to have a great top speeds.ACs are TORQUE monsters.I dont own either of these machines but have rode a 400 before.If you plan on keeping up with the Polaris 500s,you'll more than likely want the AC 500,because the 400 is NOT a top end quad.Besides,for the few extra $$,I think its a safer bet having the larger CC ATV,you'll never be wondering IF you SHOULD have bought the extra 100cc ATV in the first place if you allready have it?The reliability of the AC is also VERY good,especially when compared to a Polaris.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:11 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

The gearing on the bikes is the exact same, so the top end speed should be identical. The differance will be noticed on hils, the 400 will require a down shift as it will lose speed before the 500. I own a 400 so my opinion needs to be offset by a 500 rider. I wish I had bought a larger bike, but having said that the 500 would not fill the void. My desire is to cruise at 50MPH with brief spurts to 55. My 400 likes to cruise at 40 and is wound out at 50-52 MPH. I checked my speedo with my GPS, the speedo actually shows 55MPH. Both bikes are awesome, but I still can't justify the extra $1000.00[CDN] for the 500. The new 2002 500i might be a different story. I had a 2002 500 Auto out the other day and the gearing has been changed. This bike would bury the needle. I don't know what the actual top speed was but I would guess I was going 55-60MPH. Anyway, whichever you choose I am sure you won't be dissapointed in the Cat family.

Cheers Jim

Old 10-24-2001, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jim,
I had no idea that there was a 1000 $$ differance from a 400cc to a 500cc.Thats ALOT of extra CHEESE!

Bill

Old 10-25-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Ok this is a good one for me since I have a 400 and a 500 2001 Cat. The top speeds are the same about 48mph on GPS. The acceleration is almost the same too. Dead heat most of the time when my dad and I race. the 500 has 31 ft/lbs of torque and 29 HP while the 400 has 21 HP according to the origin papers. The 500 is heavier and mine has a winch and some rack accessories too. This may attribute to some of the speed being gone but them again the radar gun in the magazine had the 500 auto cat at 48mph too. You will notice the torque in the seat of your pants more on the 500 than the 400. Gearing is the same on both so there is why the speed is the same. The 400 is powerful but it is not the same as the 500 manual. The 400 you have to pay attention to what gear you are in more than with the 500. I can take a couple of hills in 3rd and the 400 needs a shift to 2nd which really kills the speed. The auto really takes the guess work out of hill climbing and mudding since you don't loose any momentum shifting like we do with the manual trannys. There are time I would like to have an auto. Some places are nice and smooth and all of a sudden 3 feet of water and mud stair you in the face. Manual tranny means a good setup and entry while the auto means get in and get nasty. texascat rides with us and his auto works great in these situations. You said you want to keep up so this might be a good help. I still love my manual cats and I have just gotten used to paying close attention to my gearing, speed, and terrain. The 500 really shines here because it can make up for a poor approach or slightly wrong gear. I'm not bashing the 450 Honda but it is no speed demon either so don't worry about keeping up with it unless John Force or Tony Stewart is driving it. Some of the polaris quads are very fast. One of my riding buddies has a polaris expedition 325 and we eat him alive in everything but fast cornering/power sliding. The 500 has the selectable 2wd or 4wd on the 2001 model while the 400 is full time 4wd. I believe this has changed for the 2002 models. Both now have selectable 2wd/4wd. The price difference on our 2 cats was about $700 including the winch and rack extension on the 500. If the gearing has changed as everyone seems to indicate you should have no problem keeping up since the suzuki motors make some torque and easily bury the speedo at the redline/rev limiter now anyways. taller gears will help a whole bunch. You should be able to ride a 400 allday with those guys and a 500 would help out even more in the slow technical stuff with its very torquey power plant. By the way the 400 steers much easier due to it's narrower front tires. If that is any consideration to you. Check out my web page below to see some pics of the two cats. if I can help in some other way drop me a line and I'll give you any info I have.

Dakota R/T

Old 10-25-2001, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

ethernut,

I will start this by saying,....my friend and I bought new Arctic Cat's...mine in July, and his shortly after...his is a 2002 400 4X4 manual(stock)...mine is a 2001 500 4X4 manual(stock). Well...I have to say that the 500 clearly out-accelerates, climbs faster, and has WAY more torque than the 400...yes...he can run the same speed as I can, but only if it is downgrade for a stretch and if I hold back on acceleration so as we are side by side untill the rev. limiters hit. He does not have the acceleration to catch up very well on trails...short straight-aways, and big hills kinda leave him behind after aways.
As far as the gearing being changed...it may be...but the stock Dunlop's on his bike are shorter than my 489's by about a half inch, so that may contribute to the same top speed on the rev-limiters.
We also used a G.P.S. and his speedo reads 6-7 miles per hour faster than mine at the same speeds. And yes, both bikes were broke-in and freshly tuned.
For "hill-shooting/trail riding and the like" go for the 500...and you will not be dissapointed.
Happy trails to you!

Old 10-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just out of curiosity... What does your GPS say the top speed of your bikes are? I know it's not really important, but I'm hearing the 2002's are a little faster.

Also, Thank you Dakotart for your response!

Thanks!

EtherNut

Old 10-25-2001, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the weather is right I can get 53(G.P.S.)...on a different day I may only be able to run 51 or so...depends on the air temp and density, air filter,etc.,etc. No speed demon...but it will hold it's speed up or down hills quite well...perhaps with a little more work on the jetting and tire size, 55 might be a possibility! Oh well...fast enough for a 4X4 utility...if I wanted to go fast then perhaps a Canondale or a Bombardier DS650.
Good luck!...you will not be dissapointed with the Cat!

Old 10-31-2001, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 400 AC 2001 model. It sems once I get to 20 mph the engine is crying for a higher gear...and I am in 5th gear? You guys are saying that these things can go 48 mph and faster?

Old 10-31-2001, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

you must be in low range,I have had my a/c 400 45 mph and it seems to be just cruising at this speed.