Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

The AC 375

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Fellas, here's my take on the Arctic Cat 375:

I tested one out on Thursday. When I first got on the bike, I didn't like the way it sat. I felt I was seated too high in relation to the handle bars. I hit the throttle slowly, nothing happened. I pushed a little harder and the machine crept to life. I proceeded to a large field next to the dealership to try out the performance I had read about here. First, I looked down at the gear lever to put it into high gear, thinking the dealer had given me the shifting pattern in reverse. That's when I realized, I was in high gear! Man, this thing was geared low! I started to get on the throttle and was very disappointed in the response. The 375 seemed very sluggish. It had no zip to it at all! Please, don't think I'm comparing it to the "sport bike" performance. I'm judging it against other machines in it's class (i.e. Magnum 325, Wolverine, etc.). I could only bring myself to accelerate to about 25 mph because I thought the 375 was going to blow! The engine seemed to be wound tight! The dealer told me he had one up to 56 mph on the county road next to the dealership. I hope he had earplugs in when he did it because the engine whine on this thing was deafening! Maybe that's why he kept saying, "Huh?". I took the bike over some bumps and dips to see how it rode with the ACT rear suspension. I must say it rode very nice. The steering was very easy and precise. I noticed during sharp turns the bike had a bad tendency of leaning hard to the outside front wheel. This situation could be un-nerving on a downhill turn! I did like the ground clearance and the 25" tires. The machine seemed solidly built and looked to be bullet-proof for any unforseen problems. I believe Arctic Cat has made a step in the right direction, but, they still have some steps to make if they want to call this bike a "Sport-utility" machine. It is definitely heavy on the utility and light on the sport. In closing, the 375 is a very nice machine, just not the bike for what my wife and I like to do with them. I believe there are still much better choices out there in this price range that will give you a more diverse bike than the 375. Therefore, we bought a '02 Magnum 325.

Just one man's opinion. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 11-19-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

I am beginning to wonder if there is a bad "batch" of 375's out there. My brother's 376 has plenty of get up and go (for a 650lb machine) and would have no trouble reaching 50mph. And, no, the engine doesn't wine at this speed either. As if you can test drive another.

As far as the height and lean, yes, it's a tall heavy machine and it will lean like that in turns. Depending on your riding style and locations, it may NOT be the bike for you. Luckily, there are plenty of other fine machines on the market today.

Old 11-19-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I sort of wonder if people aren't used to the way that AC's Duramatic tranny keeps the engine in it's powerband. The engine sounds wound out, transmission shifts although you cant really feel it and you hit a higher speed before you know it. That's the impression that I got until I realized how the bike was tuned.

I just picked up my 375 on saturday. I have 10 miles on it and I have to say that I'm impressed with the power. I have no trouble bringing the front wheels off the ground in low gear (but that doesnt mean I'm sitting on the handlebars either). As far as the "sport-utility" thing is concerned.... I'd be glad to stand corrected, but I don't think AC intends to plug the word "Sport" on any of it's rides. AC makes a bullet-proof work horse that can get you out of a jam when you need it. AC's machines are pure utility and probably the best pure utility machine on the market in their respective price range.

my 2 cents

EtherNut

Old 11-20-2001, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ethernut,

No correction needed. I was merely calling it a "sport-utility" because most of the other bikes in this class are considered so. The possible exception being the Big Bear. I haven't read where AC was marketing it in this fashion either. I was getting that from a previous thread concerning questions about the 375. It was called the "more peppy, sportier," Arctic Cat. I haven't ridden the other AC's, and, based on what I experienced, if this is the "sportiest" AC made, I probably won't. I'm not putting them down, believe me. There just not what I want. I think for certain situations, the AC would be "THE" bike. Plus, it's American made (less engine), which I think is great! That's the main reason I bought 2 Polaris. Glad to know your enjoying your new purchase. Maybe someday we'll run into each other on the trails. Some buddies and I "TRY!" to make it down to Turkey Bay once a year.

Happy trails!

Old 11-20-2001, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

If you think that a Magnum 325 has more speed and power than a 375 AC than the AC you rode must have had 4 flat tires. We owned a 325 for two years and while it was fairly dependable it was probably one of the most underpowered quads I had ever ridden. The 375 is neck in neck in acceleration with the AC 500 and has a slightly higher top end, ours will hit 56-59 on level pavement. The 325 was never even close to being able to smell 50. Dirt wheels once described the 325 as "freakishly underpowered" This statement spawned many jokes about our 325 but it wasn't far from the truth. The 375 has more ground clearance, more hp, better suspension, more rack capacity as well as a higher towing capacity and is much faster in both take off and top end. I hope you enjoy your 325 but Their must be a few messed up AC's around.( I wonder if maybe the 375 had the throttle limiter turned way in)
Joe

Old 11-20-2001, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]That must be it!

Joe you've got it right! I must be the only guy in the USA that got the "messed up" 375, and the "pepped up" 325! Just kiddin'! I didn't say the 325 was faster, more powerful, had greater towing capacity, blah, blah, blah... I did say, the 375 does not take-off as well as the Magnum 325. The one I rode wouldn't touch the Magnum I bought! Consider my previous post, I haven't ridden any other AC's. If the 375 will "hang" with your AC500, that's a pitiful shame your 500 runs that bad. I know, neither the 375 or 325 will "hang" with my SP500. I'm not putting it down, it's just to inform people of another opinion on the matter. Go to any other forum and you will see critiques of those brands also. The AC is a nice machine, just wish it were a little "sportier" when compared to others in it's class.

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
2002 Polaris Magnum 325
2000 Yamaha Badger 80

Old 11-20-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bearcat, It's a small world. I have some inlaws that live in bedford. Are there any good places to ride up there? There's several places tat look compelling down at the lake between bedford and bloomington.

I'm kinda coming to the conclusion that the whole "best bike" argument isn't really about the bikes, all of the bikes are really good. It's about our personalitites, what we see ourselves utilizing the bike for, how it makes us feel when we get on it, and how it looks to us.

When I bought my 375 I knew up front I wouldn't be able to keep up with Polaris', Grizzly's, or Rubicons, or Kodiaks in a drag race. I had read the review in the magazine that tested the Grizzly agaist the AC 500 doing a drag race with 700 lbs on the hitch and the Grizzly amongst others Smoked the Cat. Actually, in the particular review I read, the Cat and the Zuk came in dead last behind Grzz, Polaris and a few other big bores. But, I was comfortable with that. Speed wasn't a deciding factor in my purchase at all. That, I think is where the conflict lies. I don't think that AC is for everyone. It truly isnt. I do believe that the 375 is the most heavily built bike in it's class, has the most ground clearance, is extrmemly low maintenance and has the best ride (best ride meaning comfortable). That just appeals to me as the buyer,for those reasons I am thrilled with my purchase.

I be glad to go riding with you sometime if there is a place close by when I come up.

EtherNut

Old 11-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Ethernut,

We've got a new place up around Harrodsburgh owned by ABATE of Indiana. I think there's around 600 acres. The wife and I went up there about 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. There's nothing hard about the riding at all. Hills are very tame. It's been so dry 'round here, it's almost impossible to find any mud! But, none the less, to be only 20 miles away from home, it's well worth the trip. The wife, kids, and I are going there over the Thansgiving weekend for a day. Let me know when your coming up and I'll try and round up some buddies to go for a ride.

About the 375, I really wasn't trying to speak bad of the bike. It's just like you said, "It's what we utilize the bike for.". My wife and I like to trailride and mud. I mean serious mud! She enjoys running the wide trails, and divin' in the mud pits. She and I both, after riding them, felt the 325 suited her better than the 375. That's my whole point. I just wanted to give the less informed another opinion on the machine. I would strongly suggest, that if anyone is considering these 2 bikes, and cannot make a decision between the 2, go test-ride 'em. Decide for yourself. Don't take my word for it or anyone elses on this thread. Riding styles and preferences in a quad are as varied as the grains of sand in the Sahara. Decide based on your opinion.

Ethernut, I get around the town quite a bit, wonder if I know your kin?

Old 11-20-2001, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

The slow breed 375s must have made their way up to Canada too because I thought the same thing as bearcat after testing one myself. It was terribly slow and revved really loudly. it almost made me cringe to drive it! but everything else was goo on it and the suspension was great. My only other beef with it was that it seemed very high (mainly the seat). I rode the Eiger that day too (with the same engine as the 375, although it may be tweeked differently) and you would swear it was not the same engine at all. mind you, I know the Eiger is WAY lighter and sportier and so on but just the sound of the engine and the kick it had made a world of difference. anyhoo just thought i would add my take on the 375. (but i do agree it might have just been the one i drove that was like that)
Newf

Old 11-21-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Some of may have read a post I made last week that siad the same thing. I was really hoping I would like the 375, because I love my Cougar 550 and I've had very good luck with AC snowmobiles.
Also, after reading a bunch of posts talking about how "peppy" the 375 was compared to other ACs I thought, "finally a Cat for me". Well, no dice. I know that speed is not the most important thing in a utility quad, but I don't want to be dead last everytime I go for a ride with friends either, and with the 375 you almost surely will be.

Unless, of course, all your friends have Arctic Cats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]