Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

An old debate...the oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 07:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like a ford prob than a lube prob.

Old 11-22-2001, 09:11 AM
The Facility

I agree with every fact that you've guys have said about the synthetic oil being superior to conventional oil, EXCEPT the statement that it has been proven to be better suited for SMALL engines. It is the exact oposite. 4 cylinder cars maybe, but not a single cylinder.

Old 11-22-2001, 10:39 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

Het there Knowsalot, I would interested in knowing why synthetic is no good for single cylinder emgines and where the info came from. I have been reading everything I can find on the net. And I have improved my knowledge on oil to a good level, but I can't find anything anywhere that is negative with synthetics period.

Cheers Jim

Old 11-23-2001, 12:13 AM
The Facility

That's because you are looking at the wrong place! Exactly what sites did you find all this info. on? Not one that pertains to ATVs no doubt.

Go to your local dealer, ANY dealer , ANY brand.

Have him pull you up the reports given from the ATV manufacturers years ago regarding synthetic oil for use in an ATV when everyone started using it.

Sounds like you are carrying this to the extreme, with all your research and all, if you don't make the oil, sell the oil, deal with a hundred machines a week that pertain to such use of said oil, then why the hell do you care one way or another what someone else should or shouldn't use?

Simply put, if it was so much better than conventional oil for ATV use, that would be what the manufacturer recommended and would come in the machine already with it, instead of conventional.

Run what you like to run, if something goes wrong, you can think about it then, if someone else runs what they prefer and something goes wrong, then that is their problem as well.

Smart______

I don't know why I wasted my time.

Good day sir.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-24-2001, 02:13 AM
JKB
Pro Rider

Hey, I neversaidI used the stuff. But I am thinking stongly about changing, that was why I wanted to know where you got your info. I spoke with Shell and they say to use there 0w50 Synthetic in my bike. They say itis superior to conventional.

Cheers Jim

Old 11-24-2001, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

veruy spunky.

Old 11-24-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well, KNOWSALOT. It appears that your answer to one of your questions is in the first post of this thread. Arctic-Cat is putting synthetic in their snow mobiles next year.

If you had fully read the thread before you responded you wouldn't have asked, what you thought was a rhetorical question.

Maybe you should change your sig to "I know as much as I think I do"

Cheers!

EtherNut

Old 11-27-2001, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

I think we have a bit of analysis paralysis guys .I purchased a 1986 trx 350 4by4 honda in May of 1986.I used cheap automotive oil and changed it often with a new filter.After 15 years of constant use i sold the machine to upgrade.The machine ran as new when i sold it.I currently have a 1999 honda 450 es and an arctic cat 300 4by4.I have run both machines with synthetic and regular petrol based oils.In the artic cat the synthetic oil tended to leak from the oil cooler line connections and when hot caused a bit of clutch chatter.i noticed no "seat of the pants" performance increase.The honda 450 responded to the synthetic oil a bit better.There was a slight improvement in performance and the oil cooler fan turned on less frequent.I have currently ceased using the synthetic oils in the machines.The synthetic oils are roughly 4 times the money conventional oils are..... and my experience has been that you will become old and grey long before you will wear one of these engines out given proper care with the regular oils.I believe the key to long engine life is to keep the oil clean rather than try and use the extended drain intervals that the synthetics will allow.Accumulation of grit and acids are your enemy here.I do however believe the synthetics oils are better but simply not worth the extra money in this application.

Old 11-27-2001, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

KNOWSALOT[/i] >>

<< Simply put, if it was so much better than conventional oil for ATV use, that would be what the manufacturer recommended and would come in the machine already with it, instead of conventional. >>

Obviously, your signature is correct. I'm still wondering about your name! If you will go to your nearest Polaris dealer, you will see synthetic is recommended, and is in the machine when you buy it. I see no problem with either the &quot;dino&quot; or synthetic. If you want to go longer between oil changes, then I'd say go synth. It all depends on the guy takin' care of the machine. Do your regular maintenance and both oils will serve you just fine!

Old 11-30-2001, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went through the same debate when I purchased my 250 2x4. I ended up breaking the motor in with dino, then switching to MOBIL 1 MX4T--10W-40. I am convinced that I am protecting my investment. At $6.50 a quart I'll let you know in a few years---

Quick Reply: An old debate...the oil issue