Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

My AC 375 4x4 - The first 100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AC 375 is my first Quad. It is definately more than I thought it would be. Last weekend I put about 85 miles on it. I went up some REALLY steep hills. I never found a hill that the bike wouldn't accelerate up if I wanted it to. I didn't get a chance to drag race with anyone to see how the bike fared against other quads I would like to just for grins at some point. Naturally, I wouldn't expect to beat any other quad with similar engine size. I'm just curious how much I'd be beaten by say, a Big Bear 4x4 or something similar to it. I guess it's just for my own reference..

I was riding with my Dad and he was on his dirt bike, I couldn't keep up with him on a sprint. My top speed was higher as he was running a large sprocket for more low end torque.

I put 55 miles on it the first day. I never had to reach for reserve, but my gas indicator said that I was empty when I got home. Just how accurate are those things anyway? How much gas do you have left when the inidcator says you're empty? I ran Shell Premium in the tank on the first day. The next day I used Shell 87 octane. I did notice more detonation (pinging) from the engine when I hit the throttle hard with the lower octane gas. I think I'll stick with high octane.

The 375 seemed noticably faster after the weekend was over by the way. I had no problem doing doughnuts on it. At about 10-20 mph, I was also able to make the back end break loose by jamming the throttle. I was starting to get used to swinging the back end around by cutting the handlbars, leaning, and hammering the throttle instead of slowly turning and hoping that I had the radius to make the turn without backing up.

I noticed a lot of pro's and con's by riding with a dirt bike. Especially the off camber capability between a dirt bike and a quad. Besides that and a bike being able to cut and turn faster than a quad I was really impressed with the 375. Dad's bike was a MUUUCH rougher ride than the quad. You had to expend about 4 times the energy on the bike than you did with the quad. Dad rode the 375 and likened the ride and it's ability to take the terrain to a Cadillac. I also found that the quad was much better at taking rocky terrain at high speeds than the bike. The dirt bike was very unstable on rocks and wet rocks at that. At one point Dad was in front of me fighting his bike up a wide steep hill full of fist size rocks. I decided that I would try to pass him. And pass him I did, like he was sitting. That was a mojor strong point of the quad. Another strong point that Dad and I both recognise was the ability of the quad to take a steep hill at very slow (controlled) speeds. Where he had to get a run at it to make it up, I could put it in 4wd and take it easy. We both liked that alot. The engine braking coming off of steep hills was spectacular as well. Putting the quad in Low 4x4 and pointing it down a steep hill was refeshing. I didn't even need the brakes.

Dad took the 375 up some terrain that he wouldn't take his dirt bike up. He back down with a HUGE grin on his face. I think he's gonna be getting a quad as soon as he can.

The 375 has a super soft ride. Taking bumps and rocks on a rugged trail at 25 mph was no problem. I never once bottomed out the quad. I ran over some rocks that I thought for sure would hit my rear diff. Nope.

I met some old high school buddies out on the trail. They were riding a Honda 450ES. They both commented on the styling of the cat and how much larger it seemed than the Honda. They also liked the jeep like look of the 2002 front end.

All in all, the 375 has all of the power that I'll ever need. It has more than I would want in the low end. As far as top end. I can get to 55 on the spedo, but that's about it. After about 45-48 mph the spedo climbs slowly.

I'm ecstatic with my purchase. I bought the bike for $5068 which included the winch. It's a blast!

EtherNut

Old 11-27-2001, 06:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dude ,congrats on the quad , I HOPE YOUR NEVER disapionted with it . I realy like 375 alot no matter what others say , I heard people say things that cant be so . I rode dirt bikes for 30 years, i loved them too.I would not wAnt to ride anything that would out run my 400 , BUT THEY SAY A 375 WILL! WOW , They say mine wont do 55 miles an hour but it will do 60 thats with my van chasing me my chevy dont lie either , but i didnt buy a utility quad to race with either , I bought it to ride and work with I like mine heavy like a logger not a bicycle bents to easy , I like to ride thought the woods knocking things down , he he he he , hey you just enjoy that 375 alot , o yeo the gas gauge lie a lot says empty at half full , let us know how it dose good or bad 2001-400-4x4 2000-2x4-250 1997 -220-bayou