Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 375 - Q&A on Jetting, Spark Plugs, Tires, Duramatic Tranny, Air Filter..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 26x9 or 27x9 would be a good choice all the way around. Either one will be wider than the stock tire, I know they are 10s but actually the 9" 589 will be wider than the stock 10. The ACs aren't that heavy in the rear anyway. It will be lighter and easier on the drive train. You shouldn't have any trouble turning either one, shouldn't need spacers either. I hate the spacers, I am allways wondering if this will be the jump or hit that will break them, even though they seem to be holding up well. The 589 is a very good wearing tire they will last a long time, even with some road riding.

Old 12-20-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Ethernut,

I have no experience with jetting an arctic cat, but carburetion principles apply across the board. You commented that the plug was black, and from that you want to change the main jet. While it is true that most all stock bikes come jetted rich from the factory to ensure long engine life, you don't quite have enough info to deem that it is the main jet causing the plug to be black. There are primarily 3 fuel circuits in the carburetor..........air screw: idle and low throttle, slide&needle: mid throttle, and last...main jet: high throttle. All 3 of these overlap with each other to some extent, but mainly control low, mid, or high end throttle.

Therefore, to be sure it is the main jet causing the plug to be black, you would need to do around .25 to .5 mile run at wide open throttle, and shut the bike down quickly and pull over to a stop. Check the plug then. If it is black then, you can be sure it was caused by the main jet. Same way for jetting the low and mid throttle carburetor settings.

I'm not sure if all this makes perfect sense, but I hope you get the basics of what I'm trying to say. It would be bad for your bike to have the perfect main jet in it already, and you lean it out.......which ultimately can cause overheating and engine damage.

Waylan

Old 12-21-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I gotta say thanks to waco4whlr for pointing me toward the GBC tires. I did like the Gators but I liked the Dirt Devil X/T's better. I bought a set of 26-10X12 for front and 26-12X12 for rear. I should have them in next week. Their tread pattern would appear that they would have an excellent ride on hard pack.

I bought a hotter plug (NGK CR6E) and am going to try it out here in a few minutes. I'm trying the plug before I rejet just for kicks.

walexa, I totlayy understand what you are saying and have given it much thought. Most of the guys here that have been rejetting (several of them are dealers) have been changing the main first. That was my reason for going with the main. Thanks for your input!

Minehunter, I did start out on the 87 octane but experienced noticable detonation when I hit the throttle quickly. By going to the higher octate the detontion went away.

Thanks again guys!

I'll post my experiences with the spark plug and jetting.

Ethernut

Old 12-22-2001, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Good choice, I like these tires also. Did you order wheels too, if not you will probably need spacers for the rear. If you ordered ITP wheels the offset on them may be enough to keep them from rubbing. Be sure to check it while flexed out.