Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2000, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I brought my Arctic Cat 500 to the shop about 3 weeks ago fro water in the differential, burnt 5th gear light, and a Fan switch.

The Fan switch was fixed under warnanty and they rewired it like the 2000 models while they were under it.

They replaced the 5th gear light, 10 fender rivets, flused and replace the axle oils, and they refilled the radiator (because it was overheating and boiling over). Total bill=$208.50!!!!!!! (only 18 bucks in parts)

Well I call a weeka go and it had been fixed last friday, but today was the only chance I had to get it. When we got there I got the bad news, after they put it on the side it leaked radiator colant from the water pump seal. So I went there for nothing since the part has yet to come in. It will be replaced under waranty though.

So thats 2 water pump seals that I have counted that have gone bad on the 400/454/500 models, and 1 fan switch. Didn't some one have a problem with a 300 4x4 that wouldn't start and the lights went out?

So if you have had any things go wrong with your Arctic Cat, that you didn't cause from a wreck or something, please let me know.

Old 02-05-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boner, just go ahead and buy that Polaris you're lusting for; no need to trash your Arctic Cat or try to build a case against their reliability! (smiley faces)

Tree Farmer

Old 02-05-2000, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Seems to be a smart as' in just about any Forum now.

Old 02-05-2000, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Boner,the 208 dollars seems like alot of $$ for the little work they did.Did you question them as to why labor was so high for so little work? How did water did into the diff?==BILL [BTW,You cant pull me out,your AC is in the shop-lol]

Old 02-05-2000, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

You prove your point, Bill!

I know your intention's good, but Boner needs no help taking care of himself.

He's been sniffing around those Polarises some time now; he knows I'm joking with him. If not, he's capable of speaking for himself.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-05-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, I guess you ARE an expert when it comes to dealing with the service departments of ATV dealerships!

Do you think Boner will receive a refund?

Tree Farmer

Old 02-05-2000, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

They are unsure of how the water got in. They did a Presure test and it held all of the presure so it shouldn't leak. They said they could take it apart and change all the seals in both axles for only $600 bucks and that MIGHT FIX IT. Since seals and bushings aren't covered in the waranty I would have to wait for some thig to fail to get them to change the seals under waranty.

As far the High price. They took 3.2 hours to do what they did at 55 bucks per hour.

Old 02-05-2000, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

OO my god!!!! Tree Farmer made a funny!!!!!!!!
Thats a first. Atleast he didn't use any big words this time.

The sad part is that he works for this site, yet he doesn't even know how to make a Smile face.

Old 02-05-2000, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Boner, I'm glad you noticed no big words in my post. I've enrolled in "plain bubba english" (notice: earlier, I would have typed, "Plain Bubba English") at the University of Arkansas; glad it's working!

Next semester, I plan on taking "Smiley Faces 101," if the University will waive the course enrollment requirements for me.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-05-2000, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Boner,since when are seals and bushings not covered under the normal 6 month warrenty?Or are you on an extended warrenty?My Sportsmans water pump seal leaked antifreeze.100% COVERED parts and labor.You say 3.2 hrs labor to do the work they did?Did they use the labor guide from the AC service repair manuel,or did they just charge you for how much time it personally took them?If the dealer wanted to replace those seals,he knows how to send them[seals] back to the manufaturer so they appear defective without charging you a dime.Hell,we used to do it all the time at the auto dealership back when I was wrenching.I know some quad dealerships that do it all the time to,just to make the customer satisfied.My dealership once screwed up my clutch cover seal in order to get me new clutches covered under warrenty.TF,as for me speaking for Boner,I was speaking for no one but myself.I found your remark personally insulting to Polaris riders.Buy a Polaris and you'll not need to build a reliability case against your AC.That remark sounds strange coming from someone who is allways anti-bashing.If it was meant as just a joke,than I personally apoligize for my remarks.And yes,if the dealership was charging Boner for the time that it took them to do the repairs instead of going by the time alloted in the AC repair guide,than he should go back and ask them to show him the service repair time guide for ACs.Why pay for 3.2 hrs labor if the repair manuel says 1.5?I think you see my point.Have a super day,====BILL

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat Problems