Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 500 Auto Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all. I'm new to the ATC world and am a proud owner of a 2002 500 Auto. I wanted the awsome "I" but the dealer made me such a good deal I went with the non-I. ($1000 off sticker).

I want to complement you on a great site that has really helped me come up to speed on the world of ATVing.

Let me share with you a defect on the 500 Autos and possibly all other Autos. There is a 1 & 1/4 inch diameter rubber transmission cooling hose that butts right up against the exhaust. Mine burned through after only 50 miles. I showed the dealer and the units in the showroom were the same starting to heat-harden out of the factory.

The fix is this. Get a new hose and trim 1/2 to 3/4" off the end of the hose that connects the main plastic tranny cooling hose on the right side of the engine. This will pull the hose an inch or so away from the exhaust. Also get some foil tape and wrap the hose section exposed to the exhaust. If not fixed water can enter the tranny through the failed hose.

I called the factory and notifed the techs of this flaw. They indicated to me they would present this problem at their next engineering meeting.

I enjoy reading your post and would welcome any replys!

Old 01-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

EXCELLENT POST newcatman.

I was impressed when I say they relocated their auto vents up higher. But it figures, just when the "fix" one thing, something else breaks. I will let me dealer know of this, and they (since they're awesome) will call up all their customers with the 2002 autos, and have them brought in for a "dealer recall". As info, this should only affect the 2002 autos, as one of the issues with the older ones was that they didn't go high enough, but I'll verify that.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

Hi all. I just picked up my New 2002 500i Auto this past weekend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It is DEFINITLY an AWSOME machine. NewCatMan when I read your post today while at work I couldn't wait to get home to check mine out. I'm Happy to say that if I'm looking at the spot your talking about (I'm pretty sure I am) mine is about 3/4" away from the exhaust already. I took a digital picture if you want me to e-mail it to you I'll be happy to do so. Maybe You know how to post or link it so every one can see! (I don't know how). Looking at the situation closer it could be that at the factory they are not sliding the rubber hose onto the neck of the plastic tranny vent tube far enough. I called the factory also to let the tech's know, thinking that for whatever reason the 500i's might be different. I did not get to speak to a tech and the girl said there was no bulletin about it.Then I gave the girl my V.I.N. # and she said that mine had a recall on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] as of 1-03-02 that the phone reps got notice of today. Apparently the master cylinder assembly is not up to AC's standards so they are replacing them. I asked if there were any reported failures or Injuries and she said NO it just is'nt up to there quality standards.Thanks for the heads up Info. thats what make this forum so great!

Old 01-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

I went to my dealer tonight, and showed him what you are talking about. The 500 auto's that he had, did not have this problem. Perhaps they mounted correctly, like crazy cat said. I appreciate this though, sounds like there may have been a misunderstanding in the assembly line, and some people installed the hose right, some didn't. These forums are just great to inform us consumers like this, got to love it

Old 01-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thank's for the feedback! You might still want to put some foil tape on the hose. 3/4 of an inch is still close enough to transmit enough heat to prematurely dryout the rubber hose. Once its dried out it will split easily.

I got my recall notice today too. I read a post were there was one injury from a brake failure. These service bullitins have to be posted by law on the National Administration of Safety and Transportation cite. I can't recall the exact letters of the cite.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Hello again, NewCatMan, Yes I thought the same thing (3/4" is to close)I plan on getting some of the same type of heat shield tape like they applied to the side of the storage box in the back of the machine. That should do the trick! As far as the recall goes, I think you are refering to the brake pressure switch recall.(copy and paste this link) http://www.arcticcat.com/news/20011120_recall2.asp
The i models are not included in that recall. The one I was talking about is a new recall on the Master cylinder. I checked earlier today and Arctic Cat has not posted it on there website yet. I'm not sure which model(s) or how many ATV's are effected.

Old 01-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

CrazyCat thanks for the info. I contacted my dealer and he had a switch. It seems it's a pressure sensitive switch that effects the start-in-any-gear feature. This is located under the front bodywork. The dealer is arguing with Arctic Cat over the 45 minutes of labor they will reimburse him for the repairs. He claims the time is much more and is threatening not to do it. He (gladly) agreed to give me the part so I can put it on my self. I'd rather do the repairs myself so I know it's done right and I can take all the time I need to carefully remove and replace the bodywork.

I'll let you know how it goes. Keep me posted on the Mastercylinder. It sound like the suppliers of the brake components did not produce for AC and AC is making them fix their errors. I don't care, if the parts are better I'd rather have them now than have to pay for them later. At least Arctic Cat is taking care of this now and not waiting at the end of a model year or after lengthy law suits like GM does.

Old 01-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

NewCatMan,

Thanks for the input. I looked at my brand new 500 this morning and the hose was about 5/8" from the exhaust. I took a half inch off both sides of the hose and put some reflective tape on it. Would have liked to take more off each end but was afraid I might not get it to fit right due to the flair on the transmission side and the curve on the vent side. At any rate it's much better than it was.

Bob

Old 01-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to ask. Is there an easy way or trick to get the air filter feed hose to the carb back on to the air filter box? I spent about 15 minutes and untold cuss words trying to get the inside seal part of the hose connection inside the box connection.

Bob

Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

I just thought I would drop a quick post in regards to the "New Recall" about the master cylinder I had mentioned a few posts back.I Called the factory on friday to try and get more information about it and as it turns out there is not a recall, but a bulletin that was sent to all the dealers. The phone Rep. would not give me any details as to what the actual bulletin says even though a had asked a couple times -- (humm? whats the big secret?) I will call my dealer next week and try to get some answers. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: 2002 500 Auto Defect