Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Idle problem with 500i Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured he was feeding me some poop but I thought I would ask you guys. I am not too impressed with what I figure he was trying to do. i.e. get me to bring it in for all service and pay his shop fees. While it is under warranty I think it is best to have the dealer do the service but I just wanted to get to know my new toy better! I'll have it out with him this week. I hope you don't mind me quoting you on the price. Did the 8.5x11 come in a book or could it have been printed by the dealer from a disk?

Old 01-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

1. JH, dealers can be slimeballs just think he has to sell used quads, that's somewhat lower than selling used cars. ( Yah this baby's been driven by and stored in a little old ladies garage and always had the maintanence done by dealers. )
2. The OEM service manuals are all still available on plain old paper for about 50$, a CD rom version is still probably too much tech for some dealers.
3. BB, check the plug for sure, on a broke in four stroke anything darker than mid brown is too rich. Also of note the choke on many of these carbs isn't a choke at all in the traditional sense, it opens an additional jet circut for more fuel-not less air such a traditional choke. Generally on jetting higher altitude smaller jets, but colder tempereture needs richer jets, it's hard to make a good "swag" which way to go up in the GWN.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

It is definately a AC book, not printed by the dealer. Just ask for part # 2256-469 This is the p/n on the back of the book.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

Hello everyone, I know this isn't related to the original post But, Mudcat I was wondering what you think of your 589's. I don't like the stock Dunlop's on my 500i at all. Is the steering any tougher? I am going to go with 26" high. Did you need the spacers becouse of clearance problems? Does anyone else have any input as far as tires go.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

First, I don't yet have an AC 500i but I will soon. I asked the dealer to do two things, added to the cost of business:

1. The storage box is so small, it is ridiculous for the manufacturer not to install a winch with the basic price. You would never get a tow strap in the box. No cost, so far.

2. The stock tires are not an option to the ATVer. You have to get tires for this power monster if you intend to ride trails or farm. The 589's were my choice, and I will be filling them with Slime, as soon as possible. Cost added.

3. Last, you need to know your machine even if you don't want to do your own mechanical work. $50.00 is no big deal for a service manual. Look at it as an investment. It goes with the quad if you decide to release the monster from your garage. A good selling feature. Cost added.

I can only say, this is the quad I really wanted after looking at all the others that provided shifting transmisions with the power to do all the things my friends can do with their non-shifters (automatics). I may miss the four wheel lock with this quad but the jury's not in yet...
I hope the manufacturers are reading this stuff. Maybe they will start to put tires on these quads...
Chuck

Old 01-17-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Crazy cat' I really like my 589s they are 27x11 rear 27x9 front. I had to use 1.5" spacers on the rear to keep them from rubbing the shocks at full articulation. If you have an i model you shouldn't need spacers, neither do the 01 and earlier ACT suspension quads. Tha 589s wear real good I have over 1700 miles on mine now, not all on this quad. I had them on my 01 500a then sold it and got a 02 500 manual. It had about 750 miles and they recalled it and gave my a brand new quad. There are other tires that may be better than the 589s in some areas. But there isn't a tire that does everything as good as a 589. This is my opinion and I'm sure there are others that will tell you the same about their tires, but this is my opinion. They make it easier to steer, I think because there is less rubber on the ground. The 589 m/t doesn't seem to wear as good as the 589 m/s, but may grip a little better on slick rocks or slick hardpack. I didn't notice much of a power loss with them except in deep sticky gumbo mud, but if they didn't pull some power they wouldn't pull you out either. I can live with this. I would buy them again but 28" this time. I would like another set of pure mud tires just for the mud too.

Old 01-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

Mudcat, Glad you like your 589's. I ordered mine (regular 589's) I should be getting them put on saturday or monday. I just went with the 26"er's. If those 589's in your pictures have 1,700 miles on them I am VERY IMPRESSED. I also heard that the 589 m/t's are made with a softer rubber compound than on the regular 589's. ITP bought the factory and 589 molds where titan was making them. The 589 M/T's are not made by ITP but by titan in a differant factory.
Thanks for you reply.

Old 01-18-2002, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

bbertram
As promised the service manual says:

Problem: Engine Idles Poorly

1. Condition
2. Remedy

Valve Clearance out of adjustment
adjust clearance

Valve seating poor
replace - service seats - valves

valve guides defective
replace guides

rocker arms - arm shaft worn
replace arms - shafts

magneto is defective
replace magneto

cdi unit defective
replace CDI unit

spark plug fouled - gap too wide
adjust gap - replace plug

ignition coil defective
replace ignition coil

float out of adjustment
adjust float height

jets obstructed
clean jets

pilot screw setting improper
adjust pilot screw

Problem: Engine Stalls easily

spark plug fouled
clean plug

magneto defective
replace

CDI unit defective
replace

carb jets obstructed
clean jets

valve clearance out of adjustment
adjust

Looks like I'd start with the plug, carb and valves as they will be the easiest to eliminate.

If you have any questions feel free to ask..

EtherNut

Old 01-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

I found the spark plug last night, finally. That thing is tucked away really good. But there is one problem, I can't get the spark plug cap off !! Does it lift off or do you twist and lift it up or what? I think I might be taking my quad back to the dealer this month or next and see what he says.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Brent, the plug cap lifts off. Yes, they are tight to keep water out. You may have to carefully use the tip of a screw driver and try to catch the top of the cap to pry it out. Refrain from yanking on the plug wire. You might have to use the socket that came with the tool kit to get the plug out. Once the plug is out check the gap. (specs are on the sticker for the radiator holder on the left side of the machine behind the front wheel) Check the color of the plug and gap it. Make sure the plug wire is pushed tightly in the cap.

I would look in the air box to be sure theres no obstructions excessive oil from the filter and all the hoses to the carb are not pulled off. (you would be surprised on a new machine) Also, there is a clear hose that's your carb vent be sure this is not filled with water. I got water in mine from washing it with the seat off. This routes under the seat.

Double check the wires connecting to the coil under the tank. I've seen connectors hanging from their posts. If all is well and your problem just started the valves could need adjusted. (I doubt it though) It sounds like a vacuum, carb, electrical, gnome.

Keep us posted in any event.

Quick Reply: Idle problem with 500i Manual