Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400i Mods for deep water

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new/stock Dec01 400i. I hunt bottomland and need to cross deep water. What do i need to know about the quad in general? And specifically:

1) Any recalls on this quad (brakes/A arms)?
2) Are the differential bellows water tight or do I need to snorkle? What about the radiator, pull start, etc?
3) What is the deepest water I can cross stock? Of course book says only footrest deep, 13inches.
4) Do I need to replace the fan fuse with a switch for deep water?
5) I have excessive idle when warm and Clunk into reverse.
6) I have a clicking in right rear cv joint in reverse, any problem?
7) This is my first water cooled quad. What is the life expectancy of the water system? What prevention of problems with the extra system?
8) What's this about a hose too close to the engine dry-rotting? Which hose, how much do I shorten it, foil tape?

Thanks,

Scott-Beaumont TX

Old 02-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

Can't be of any help on deep water. Check with Arcticcat.com for brake recall ser#s. or call your dealer. Do you have manual or auto? for coolant hose issue.

Old 02-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Scott, I can address some of the questions. yes, the bellows is water tight make sure you occasionally check them to be sure they are pushed on snug. Make sure your rubber pull start handle is pushed down onto the case before you ride rivers.

The hose modification is for the Automatics only. This hose is 1 1/2 inch rubber that circulates air to the tranny it runs very close (in some cases touches) the exhaust. Easily fixed see my post on 500 Auto Defect.

Life of the cooling sytem is indefinate as long as you change your coolant as needed. The anticorrosive agents in the coolant wears out after a few years.

You can go into water up to your aircleaner snorkle. Pop off your seat and find out.

Recalls were targeted towards the 500 and 400 brake line switch, 10 minute fix. Others, were complete master cylinder replacements. You will be notified certified mail from AC or as others have said, go to AC's website.

As for A-arms and broken welds. The Polaris and Honda's have recalls broken welds but not Arctic Cats. AC's have really well built frames.

The clicking in the CV joint is not good take is back to the dealer.

I can't really comment on the racing idle, some are experiencing pinched carb vent hoses. Also, start your machine and turn the bars full left and right to be sure your throttle cable is not binding somewhere. If so you might have to adjust the play in the cable at the throttle lever.

I can't comment on the fan fuses either. I don't know what this would solve. Some people who run deep mud where the fan kicks on and the fan is submerged will run a bypass owner operated fan switch.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-18-2002, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

About the recalls. The brake pressure switch did not effect the i models. The i models were effected by the mastercyclinder recalls and a bulletin on drilling a 1/16th inch hole in the top cover of the master cyclinder effected ALL models.

About the a-arm weld recall, that was on a select few Green 2002 Arctic Cat 500 ACT models. One of which was effected was the first one that Mudcat owned. Because of this recall, he got a completely new ATV to replace his recalled model.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Boner, a question about the recalls you just mentioned.

I just got a new 2002 400i 4x4 (Picked it up Saturday). Do any of the recalls apply to this machine? (I see that New400i said his was a 2001.)

If so, would my dealer have already replaced the master cylinder? And what is this about the 1/16 hole?

Old 02-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

jburglund,The master cylinder recall is on all 02 "i" models I believe. The "i" model was not available as an 01 model (NEW400i said he bought his in Dec. 01)CaTTrax has posted some good info. regarding the brakes. Copy and paste this link:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=294042

Note: It is a #60 hole that needs to be drilled which is smaller than a 1/16 bit.

Old 02-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I made the mastercylinder modifcation after reading Cattrax post but rather than adding another hole into the mastercylinder cap I enlarged the existing hole (actually a slot) with a file. Also, the rubber diaphram had a molded notch which seemed to prevent any air from entering the top of the MS. I cut the notch off with nail clippers. Brakes are very powerful now.

Ambient pressure needs to get into the top of the diapham when the lever is depressed. The hole has to be small enough so water does'nt enter the master cylinder.

I experienced very low braking power on several occasions which I attribute to an air lock. Good lever no mush but no brakes.

CaTTrax' post is very well appreciated! He literally saved me and my son's tail.

Old 02-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have taken Yamahas and Hondas beneath the muffler in water. No problem with them, not sure about the Cat. I think it will do as good as these did. Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey no water will enter the master cylder because there is a rubber dia in there so no water will get in the fuild

Old 03-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also about the high idle adjust the idle at the carb thats the reason it clunks when you put it in reverse.

Quick Reply: 400i Mods for deep water