Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500 VS Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Mudcat on the climbing issue, i rode with a 450 last fall and he flipped over on the same hill i had no trouble with. But what bugs me is that alot of people are concerned with weight! In my opinion if a quad is heavy (like bombs and cats) it is a good thing 98% of the time. The only time it works against you is when racing, wich these utility's aren't made for anyway. I feel that the weight of the cats give them more traction in any situation, mud or snow and makes it more stabel when on uneven ground. It should also make the buyers of these machines feel better about the 6,000 dollar purchase they just made because if you've got a heayweight quad like the ones previously listed you know that it must have quality components. When you see a 500cc Honda that weighs 600lbs, you've got to wonder about what the insides of the machine are made of!

Old 02-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

needaquest, I have to question your logic, for a number of reasons.

>>" In my opinion if a quad is heavy (like bombs and cats) it is a good thing 98% of the time....I feel that the weight of the cats give them more traction in any situation, mud or snow and makes it more stabel when on uneven ground."

I think extra weight may be helpful 2% of the time, instead of 98 as you said.
First of all, you may have more traction, but you have more weight to pull up the hill or through the mud or whatever, which will negate any traction advantage you may have.
Ever get off your quad and walk it through a difficult spot? That's because getting rid of a few pounds makes it easier to get through soft mud. As for snow, if you think weight is better in snow then you've never really been in snow.
As for making it more stable, that just doesn't make any sense. If I'm going to be in off-camber situations I'll take as light a quad as I can get. That way your body language will have much more affect and you'll keep the rubber side down much easier.
Anyway, if extra weight is really an advantage in any of these situations then you can always through some sand bags on the racks. Why don't you try adding an extra 100lbs and go see if your quad is any better in mud and snow?

>>"It should also make the buyers of these machines feel better about the 6,000 dollar purchase they just made because if you've got a heayweight quad like the ones previously listed you know that it must have quality components."

If this were true then Polaris would be the toughest quads available, and I don't think you'll find many people who can honestly tell you that Polaris' are tough. Heavy and well engineered don't always go hand in hand. Often they will be opposites, because it shows that the engineers haven't done their homework.

You're right that quality shouldn't be sacraficed just to save weight, but it should be possible to build lightweight quads that will be durable. Manufactures just need to put the time and effort into some R&D.

If you're happy with your heavy weight quad, then great, but don't try and convince anyone that it's better because it heavier.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I don't agree that heavier is always better, but I do think Honda and others limited to 600 lbs., are building things that won't hold up as well. I don't mind a little extra weight. It seems rediculas to buy a quad and then buy parts to upgrade because the fender supports and foot peg area are "wimpy"...Honda Ribicon for example.

Old 02-18-2002, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I can agree with you Rob, that the AC certainly seems like a well built quad. As I said in an earlier post to this thread, I've almost convinced myself a few times to buy a 500 AutoCat, and part of the reason I wanted one is that when you look underneath it looks like it will hold up to heavy use.
Unfortunatly I just couldn't imagine going the places I go, or climbing the hills that I climb, with a quad that weighs that much.

They do look really tough though.

Old 02-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I guess i shoudn't have said that heavy is always better, but i still think that if you have a heavy quad and the weight is well balanced and the quad has a low center of gravity it will be very stable. Oh, and if you ever get into any snow or find a mud hole and there is a Traxter or Quest around ask if he would play a friendly game of tug-of-war, you may be surprised with the results.
>>"It should also make the buyers of these machines feel better about the 6,000 dollar purchase they just made because if you've got a heayweight quad like the ones previously listed you know that it must have quality components." --- I said if you have a heavyweight quad like the ones previously listed, Polaris was not previously listed in my post. I didn't mention this brand because i too am aware that they are far from tough. On the other hand, ask any Bomb or Cat owner if they think thier quad is tough.
If you like your light quad, then great, but don't try to convince anyone that it's better because it's lighter.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

touche

Old 02-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

I have to agree with needaquest. Most of the things I use my 500 for I welcome the added weight. In fact, when plowing snow or skidding logs, I add weight and, if you don't think the added weight improves traction far more than lugging the extra weight around, you need to try it sometime. Ofcourse when you get the bike close to vertical with little or no speed, the added weight becomes and issue. But I try to never do something stupid enough to get myself in that situation. In most situations (utility that is) when lack of power is not a problem and traction is, more weight helps. If that were not the case, there would be a lot of weight manufacturers for the farm and construction industries going out of business. Heck, my grandad filed his tractor tires with liquid and it wasn't because it was easier to do than air. My 2c.

Bob

Old 02-19-2002, 01:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Weight depends on where it is and how its designed. I had a 650lb. Arctic Cat that was about 5 times as stable in any situation than the 336lb. Yamaha 200 that I had when I was a kid. Same when compared to the 428lb Honda 300 thats sitting down in the garage. Those two would be a lot easier to manuever of course, but you would also be fighting them the whole time in tricky situations where the AC would just go.

Old 02-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

My friend has a Rubi, and my neighbor has an AC 500i. The Rubi has poor power, probably because of the hydro tranny. However, it has more speed and acceleration. I would say they are about equal in handling. Hope that helped.

Old 02-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Id go with the Rubi mine has been in the shop a couple of times but thats my fault. The Rubi will have more power more drive modes , overall I think its a better deal

Quick Reply: AC 500 VS Rubicon