Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bad Cat Reviews...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002 | 04:06 PM
TG1
|
Pro Rider

Why do Cats get such bad reviews? Because they don’t feature the most high tech gizmos. Cats are similar to Jeeps, simple, and built to last. Most of the other ATVs could be compared with the rest of the SUVs produced image driven products. ATV Action review of the 500I gave the impression that it was good for a Cat but nothing for trail use (lacks speed and raw power). Wranglers have never known to be power houses yet they are the most trail ready 4x4 straight from the factory, so are Cats. On technical trails I would rather have a quad with ample low-end grunt than a racy 4x4. High-speed handling doesn't mean $hit in 90% of the time. Just my two cents…

Old 02-21-2002 | 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

I can't explain why these quads get bad reviews. I did extenseive research before buying my 400 4x4. I am very happy with the machine but not very happy with the dealer. I think AC focuses on the snowmobile line more than the 4 wheelers. I chose AC because of the features that matter not just bells and whistles.

Old 02-21-2002 | 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I agree totally that Cat puts much more emphasis on their snowmobile line then on the ATVs. It often seems that the ATV's are nothing more than something to tide the dealers over until they start selling sleds again in the fall.
Look at the R&D that they put into their sleds. They're usually the lightest in class, most powerful, in class and best handeling. Every year there are constant and steady improvements. Their ATVs however....

Old 02-21-2002 | 08:43 PM
Range Rover

Two things to consider are: 1) they have been making sleds longer than the ATV craze has been on the scene
2) their parent company is Suzuki and you can't show your parent owner up, with out suffering the reprecussions.
I believe if cat devoted their full rescources to further ATV development they would be the industry standard.

Old 02-21-2002 | 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its easy. Almost all shootouts have a big emphasis on sport performance. Speed, acceleration, handling. The AC loses out because of this, and thats about it. Remember that most of these magazine guys are sport quad first types, rather than 220lb. country boys with no helmet and a .308 over their shoulder. Why else would you comment on how good or bad a 650lb. quad can jump? Is it relevant?

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Folks I believe what Mr. Andy Bassham said, just about sums it up for me at least. If I wanted a four wheeler that went 100 mph I would have bought a raptor or something like it. I wanted a utility ATV to hunt with, to use around the ranch, push some snow and take nice LONG rides in the woods with the family. Them ATV mag. boys just have a hard time dealing with CLASS.

CHEERS!!

Old 02-22-2002 | 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

I think you guys are missing out on half the fun of owning an ATV. My 270lb neighbor jumped with his 450ES all the time, and I know people with Rubicons who treat them like sport quads.
That's why AC's lose out in the shoot-outs. Yes, they may be very good at some things, but they're not very good all-round quads. In any of the shoot-outs it's teh quads that do well in all the catagories that win, and not the quads that excel in one or two areas, but poorly in all the rest.

That's why they break the test down into different catagories, and that's why reading the last paragraph to find out who won doesn't tell you the whole story.

Old 02-22-2002 | 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Look in the newest issue of atv action.
They actually have a good article on the 500i.

Old 02-24-2002 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Kycat~

They must have heard the people. Did you notice that in order to essentially say something decent about an Arctic Cat, they had to come up with a new category: "Adventure/Utility" You are right, though, compared to most all other reviews/shootouts on the new cats this one was the most complimentary. But, I can't help getting a tad steamed with several portions of that article:

...but Mr. Magazine writer, "why don't you call the regular AC500 an adventure quad?" and the reply: "Lacking IRS and breathtaking GC (admittedly a compliment to the I models), the old school swingaxle Cat is more of a pure utility quad." HELLO? That "old school swingaxle" outflexes most IRS machines on the market today, not to mention spanking swingarm machines for flex. I've seen more adventures on swingaxle cats then any other quad to date. I wish my wife's Kod had a swing axle rather then a swing arm.

Alas...I digress, let's continue: "Why don't you call the 500i a sport/utility machine?"
and the reply: "It's just too heavy. At 665 pounds with a gallon of petro charging down the trail is out of the question, it's handling isn't bad, but you don't want to change direction too quickly" How much do polaris quads weigh in at? Dry weight? I really don't see Polaris getting beat up for their weight, other then from other riders. A Grizzly 660 claims a dry weight of 600#'s. Lets take the steel rims off the Cat & replace them w/aluminum, empty the tank, and I bet you'd be getting close to that.

I guess the last part of that article that got me was their comment on the OEM tires. "We were never a huge fan of the Titan tires typically found on Arctic Cats, and the Dunlops on the 500i are a notcieable improvement." Somebody pinch me. Dunlops a noticeable improvement??? Hmm...where I ride the dunlops are crap, and those "old school" Titan 489's were a heckuva lot better. I suppose if I rode on blacktop, I may like the ride from the Dunlops over the Titans...but that would be the only situation I'd choose those skins over the Titans.

Anyways, Kycat, you're right there were some nice things said about Cat's in the article, just amazes me that it appears that magazines have to "quantify" their positive statements about Arctic Cat by pointing out as many negatives they can, regardless of merit from this riders point of view.

SilverBear

Old 02-24-2002 | 08:11 PM
TG1
|
Pro Rider

The Titan tires are great for a stock tire! Silverbear noticed the same things in the article I did, after pawing through it I decided not to give up my $5.
As for riding our machines like a sport quad I think we all do at times. But I have no desire to race along at full speed. Part of the fun of wheeling is enjoying the surroundings. After re-looking at a 400i I've decide the next quad will be another Cat. Yam, Pol, Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, and Bomb are all nice quads but when push comes to shove a Cat gives me the most bang for my buck. Happy riding, and less brand bashing...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bad Cat Reviews...