Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New webpage...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...featuring my new Arctic Cat for anyone who might want to check it out.

Old 02-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

Nice cat! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like you have some excellent riding there, lots of hills. Enjoy the new Cat.

Old 02-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

I'm sorry for my ignorance, (or my lack of high resolution computer screen), but is that a 250 AC 4X4?

If so, I've got a few questions for you on how you like the machine...

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buckweet,

Yes, it is an AC 250 4x4. Sorry for the lack of resolution, I sacrificed it for small file size to make for quicker download of the photo. The high resolution photo is 760kb versus 22kb for the photo on the webpage.

I am pleased with it. It's certainly not the biggest and fastest, but for the price, it had the features that I was looking for. A great value for the budget minded ATV buyer, like me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2002, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hello HuntR

Thanks for the reply. A few questions for you (seeking advice).

I am seriously considering the purchase of a new 2001 250 4X4 and a new 2001 250 2X4. My wife will get the 2X4 and her weight/size is not an issue. (She will also not be the one plowing and wanting to get a bit more aggressive, or so she says.) I'm also looking to buy two 50ccs for my kids.

I've previously owned a 600 Grizzly and 400 Kodiak. That is not the financial path I wish to take this time.

Now to my question(s). What are your thoughts on the performance, power, speed of your 250? I weigh about 245#s and am 6'4. I will spend 75% of my time riding this with the family on some private land, and 25% having some "solitude" riding time. (No kids or wife). I'm not expecting this thing to be a Grizzly, or Kodiak for that matter. I'm encouraged by the fact that the 250s are full size (or close to it). So, I'd like to know if you would recommend it for my profile and use.

Second question: The reason I'm looking at the 2001's is the price. It looks as though I'll be able to pick up a new 2001 2X4 (with warranty)for $2995 and the 4X4 (with warranty) for $3695. When you bought your 2002 250 4X4, did you consider the 2001s? I know the 2002s look much cooler, but AC is also offering $500 in parts/accessories that I could use to dress up the 2001s quite a bit... (Fender flares, better racks etc.)

Thanks for your time! Anyone else who may have a thought or two, please respond as well...

Old 02-27-2002, 07:42 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Buckwheet,
Not to butt in but:
The 250 4x4 is a great machine. Its sub tranny really helps make the most of the power produced by the motor. I've had no trouble riding with 500 Sportsmans on the trails. No we weren't speeding along at full throttle but I never felt unreasonably slow. My girlfriend normally rides with me so roughly the weight on the machine is 310lbs (give or take). With it in mid range there is enough power to get going and have fun riding.
The 01 has a better front diff that can be locked by lengthen the 4x4 shift (which is a $60 option). I'd suggest buying CV boot protectors front and back and keeping a careful eye on them (the back ones more than anything). The Spring Fling sale works toward 01s so you might be able to get a great deal with the right dealer. Hope this helps, if you would like to bounce any questions off me feel free to email. By no means am I an expert but I'll try to help.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buckweet,

Sounds like you have an opportunity for an excellent bargain. I would definitely have grabbed an '01 model for that price. The dealer I went through didn't have any holdovers. My '02 model doesn't have the locking differential option that the '01s have, from what I understand.
That I would consider a definite plus.

The power to weight ratio is of course less than with the bigger engine models, but I find it perfectly satisfactory. Top end speed is not a priority for me, workability is, and this is certainly a full sized, full featured machine at a good price. I noticed it is listed in an article in the latest NRA's American Hunter magazine as one of the top bargain models.

I'm very happy with mine and could only be happier if I got it for the '01 price you mentioned. I paid $4,400 for mine, tax and everything, which I consider a fair price.

Happy riding in whatever you decide.

Old 02-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Buckweet, how old/big are your kids? You might want to consider 90cc's for them instead. Physically they're only a little larger and will last you longer.

As for your frame on the 250...should not be a problem. It's the same size layout as their larger machines, just a little lower to the ground.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! Great feedback.

My son is 4 (is already driving his grandpa's 300 Suzuki), but I still think would be too small for most of the 90cc machines I've seen.

My daughter is almost 6 (is taller than most 7yr olds.) I would definitely consider something larger than 50cc for her. She is very comfortable on smaller machines and would ideally fit on a 70cc/80cc. I've noticed (as I've read in many reviews) that the throttle/break spread is too great for smaller hands. I totally noticed that issue when she was sitting on the Suzuki Quadsport 80cc. So I'd like to get her something that will also be easy to control and inspire more confidence. Am I being too conservative in listening to the manufacturer(s) when they advise that no one under the age of 12 should operate them?

Any recommendations would be great.

Quick Reply: New webpage...