Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Analysis Paralysis...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening guys,

With your wise counsel and good input, I had all but resigned myself to buying a (2002) 300 4X4 for myself, and a (2001) 250 4X4 for my wife. I asked questions about power to (my) weight ratio, performance, speed, on and on...

I had even gotten some very creative financing advice (courtesy of the gentleman who has finally found a use for those annoying 0% credit card balance transfer offers...)

However, after reading the discouraging recent entry by Scootdog 706 (and sentiments echoed by ChunkyBoy) my confidence started to waiver.

I then stepped over to the dark-side (another ATV forum) that basically did nothing but talk trash about ACs; Comments such as ("underpowered, constant back-firing, totally disappointed, wish I hadn't bought it", etc...) What was really disappointing, is that most of these comments seem to come from current owners. It also seems as though support from dealers seems underwhelming with thier levels of commitment to warranty, customer sat, etc. I'm now totally confused and my confidence is shaken with my initial inclination to buy these two ACs.

I am looking for this rather large purchase to be a fun one, not a high-maintenance, costly one.

Because of these issues, I've even been tempted to step up to quads 1 1/2 times the price of the 300 4X4, such as Grizzly, Vinson, etc. And have been tempted to check out the promotions and low interest rates from other manufacturers.

I guess it just seems like the overall tune of the Arctic Cat song has gone a little flat, as sung by some of ACs current owners...

MAKE NO MISTAKE, I still think the ACs are some of the coolest looking Quads out there, I just don't want to make a $10K purchase (remember, I'm buying two here...) and regret it.

I'm really not looking for you guys to be my personal thearapists here, but let me know where I've slipped off track. I'd love to hear of some success stories, and good service stories if you'd all be so kind... Oh, and by the way, I will actually have a signature that includes a few quads here pretty quick (with your help).

Thanks guys...

Old 03-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you went to hear all that because i have been here for quite a while and at nation too and all I hear is good things (9 times out of ten)

First of all every quad will have problems and you will see this if you spend time in all brand's forums so just becuase some people have a few beefs shouldn't sour you. Chunkyboy said he still loves his cat to death even though he said it is not as powerful as is old AC400.

All the atv mags say is that "AC is weak and underpowered and it should be left on the farm" well blah to them! I am not going to get into why you should disregard what they say becuase it just gets me flustered.. but trust me you have to ride with some ACs and see how they shine! The mags just don't do them justice at all! I rode the 500 and boy howdy it has gobs of power and torque even when it isn't broken in!! I have seen a 400 in action at a sand pit and he had power to spare let me tell ya!

AC's are built like tanks, I spent a long time going over my new one today and couldn't believe how over built it was. and with the PROVEN suzuki engine and basic reliable features.. this thing will last forever!

I am oh so very VERY pleased with mine that i just can't stand to see someone shy away from such a GREAT quad. I know my post could be considered biased and all but i have ridden a lot of different kinds of atvs and have a basis by which to compare.

Like i said before any brand can produce lemons adn can have problems and every brand does.. just take all the Rubicon problems that i read about.. but that doesn't mean they aren't a great quad. And also remember even though some people were claiming ACs were underpowered in a post at nation (i think) there were also a bunch of people saying how their 400s had more than enough to turn much bigger tires.

Oh and about service issues. It is hard to classify it as good or bad since I have heard all kinds of contradicting stories from different places. Like a guy that bought a rubicon and had TONS of problems (where, in most people's opinion on here, the quad should have been replaced) but instead he got no replies from Honda and his quad was in the shop for months! (I am NOT bashing hondas just using as an example) Then i heard stories of happy customers from Honda that got treated like kings. I heard where an AC was recalled and was replaced with a new machine no questions asked. I know that should be expected.. but some places would just opt to fix the problem (which means your quad is in the shop instead of in your garage).

And another thing is that AC is COMMITTED to improving their products each and every year.. that is something in itself to credit AC.. Really when you think about it most dealers make a quad (that most likely has faults) and sells it the same year after year.. like the banshee with weak suspension and really bad air box design.. that quad had like 15 years to get it right! Or any of the Hondas that stay the same year after year.. I mean the 450 STILL has 5.9" of travel.. COME ON HONDA!! and it was just this year that they FINALLY put a 2wd/4wd selector! Ac has been improving things since day one. They haven't been in the buisness long.. (since 98 or 96) and they already have captured a good part of teh market.. AND they are selling more machines than they can build.. waht better sign is there for a company?

anyhoo i will not say anymore.. but i do hope you don't write off AC because of a couple complaints.. because honestly there isn't too many.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Don't know what or where you read it but ya the 300 IS underpowered, so is the 350 Honda, 300 Kaw, 325 Pol etc. The Cat is NO worse than any of the others, most mag writers are sport riders & like 500's, so naturally the 300 is underpowered to them. My 300 will go & do almost anything a 500 will,& sometime more, at a far cheaper $$, ++ it's also far less tiring to drive on a long day!! "Wish I HADN'T BOUGHT it" NOT ME, it's best in class as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hello, and welcome to this forum...I understand your dilemma, I was in your position just weeks ago...I was in the market for a new 4X4 quad, and believe me I looked at them ALL...I finally settled on Arctic Cat because I felt that they were about the best engineered of them all...Hondas were nice, and have been around a while, but just didnt measure up in the suspension department, although they may have nice motors...Yamaha was another brand I looked at hard, but it came down to the 500i auto that I now own and the Grizzly 660...Many of my friend have Polaris's but I passed them over too...I just felt that the AC was better in most areas, and better built..Now that I have an AC 500i auto, I am very happy with it and satisfied with my decision...One of the most important questions you will have to answer is 'what kind of riding are you going to do?'...Another has to do with the dealership issue (although you are going to spend a relatively small amount of time at the dealer) but it could be that you may have to travel quite a distance to one dealer over another...But then again, you (obviously) have access to the internet (where I do a HELL of a lot of shopping)...The people on this forum (as well as others) have a TON of valuable information for people like you, it's where I asked all of my questions (and got great answers, thank you)..But dont let one persons opinion of an issue change your own instinct..It's your money, research it until your satisfied then dump the cash...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

There's a guy on here that posted that his 300 4x4 won a tug-o-war against a Honda 500.

I own a 375 4x4. I was going to buy the 300 but for just a few bucks more I could get the 375 with more ground clearance, power, and larger tires plus it's an auto. There's a review or two that say the 375 can almost keep up with the 500 in a drag race. Ofcourse the 375 doesn't have the torque the 500 does but I've never found a situation where I needed it. Pechmial says his brothers 375 is faster than his 400 manual which impressed me into buying the 375. I've responded in quite a few posts about what I was able to do with my 375, below is a short list.

- Pulled an early 1990's ford aerostar out of the mud in 4 wheel lo gear.

- Went camping a couple of weekends ago. We loaded 5 sleeping bags, a 40 gallon cooler full of food, 1 6 man tent, 2 thermarest's, 3 camp chairs, myself ( I weigh 195 lbs) and my 5 year old (45 pound) little boy. I drove it in high gear 4 wheel drive up into the mountains to camp. Never did it skip a beat. The quad with all that weight was well over 1100 lbs. Mind you I could tell it was heavier.

I've had a few things here and there go wrong with it.. easily fixed. I really like my 375 I have over 600 miles on it now.

Good luck

EtherNut

Old 03-11-2002, 08:29 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

NeWf said it best "AC's are built like tanks"! After spending a little bit of time I tested just about every quad, after test rides, studying brochures, and reading the forums I can honestly say Cats are the best bang for the buck. Yes, I've seen the Kawi 650, Grizz 660, and 700SP in action (all are almost) but Cats seem to be the best built. For an example compare a 500i to a Grizz 660. From the 1st moment you'll see why the Yamaha weights only 600lbs. There simply is more beef to the Cat. Next take into consideration a hopped up motor compared to a relatively mild engine. Which will give fewer head aches down the road? Now the Grizz is a great machine, I love the looks and raw power but if I was to bet money on which machine would last longer Cat would be my choice every time.
As for being underpowered who cares? Do you plan on racing the quads? No, you and the family want to enjoy the outdoors and get a little muddy. Maybe test a 375, they offer quite a bit of pop (I was impressed and currently considering one). The auto tranny will make things easy too. Remember having fun is the most important part!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

It is a very difficult time to try to buy a quad, there are so many choices both good and bad out there. The manufacturers are having a tough time keeping up with each other as far as inovation is concerned. I'm sure it isn't even close to being over yet.

I've been riding Arctic Cat quads since 98. I had another brand and couldn't get anyone to take it on trade except the AC dealer. So I figured it couldn't be any worse than what I had. So I brought a 98 500 home shortly there after my dad went and traded his older quad off and got a 98 400 4x4. I ended up putting 27" Vampires on mine and riding the p!$$ out of it. I mudded it every weekend climbed hills that none of my buddys would even try and out run a lot of them with my slow underpowered Cat. I got the extended warranty and used it two times. Once when I got some fishing line wrapped around my front axle ant messed the front axle seal up, it was replaced by a different dealer under the extended warranty no problem. The secont time my rectifier went out at about 2000 miles probably because of something that I did, again replaced no questions asked. I replaced my first set of brake pads after 1000 miles never replaced a wheel bearing, ball joint or tierod end (remember 27" vampires and lots of abuse). I trade it after 2 years and over 3700 miles for a 2001 500 auto. I also got a 2001 250 4x4 for my son. I was not happy with the auto and sold it with help from the dealer and got a 02 500 manual. I put over 700 miles on it in 4 months and my dealer called and told me that I needed to bring it in That it had been recalled. I took it in one evening after work and drove home with a brand new one on the trailer with all my accs. installed on it, no questions asked except by me. I couldn't believe it also got a new warranty starting all over again. I now have almost 300 miles on my second 02 500 with no problems. The 250 has performed flawlessly for a year now with a 10 year old riding almost every day. He jumps does doughnuts and really rides it hard, but does keep the oil and filters clean and changed.

This is not to say that they are perfect by any means. But I still think they are the best going for the money right now unless you are wanting to blast down the trails. They are not as slow as what most lead you to believe. The do have some body roll but the ride is excellent. I would like to have a front locker of some sort, the 250 is set up to where it locks. I think they are right up there with any and better than some as far as dependability goes. I have had most other brands over the yearswith mixed results. I ride with every make out there except Bombadier sp? and they all have problems. I have a buddy that is a freak for a certain brand but he is allways working on it, granted he does ride hard but so does everyone else I ride with. He still won't buy another make. He just ordered a quad that isn't even out yet and I aked him how he could do that with something that he hasn't even seen yet. He said if ***** makes it it has to be good. I have been riding with a lot of Cats lately people see how reliable they are and how well they do being they are so "underpowered as the rags say" and decided to try one for them selfs.

All I can say is go and ride what you like from whomever and then decide which one YOU like the best for the kind of riding that YOU will be doing. That will be the quad for YOU. Just don't believe any of what you hear and only half of what you see. Arctic Cat is a very good, dependable quad no matter what you may read or hear.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

What was your impression of the other forums you visited? I don't know about you guys but when I go to some of the other forums (or other manufacturer's threads), the quality of the discussion does not seem to match that of in these AC threads. In my opinion, this reflects poorly on the credibility of the overall discussion. When you go into a forum, look around at what the threads are. Is it all about "this mod and that mod" and "which sport bike would win in a drag race"? I'm not saying that the discussion you might encounter over negative aspects of the AC (in those forums, this forum, or any forum) is ungrounded. If everyone wanted the same machine, there'd be only one manufacturer. The trick is to think critically about what you hear and make judgements on your own based on what you believe is true and what you look for in a machine. Don't let someone else buy the quad for you... research, testride, and get the machine you really want.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, good feedback. You've all led me to ask a few more questions...

1.) Is there any value in an extended warranty?
2.) How willing are the dealers in letting you test-ride a quad?

Regarding the last question about other forums I've visited, the only other one I really liked (just visited it the first time this morning) is ATV Nation. And yes, the AC forums have always seemed MUCH more about the purity of ATVing (and helping other AC riders) and less (whats the word???) brand ego-maniacal...

Looking forward to your feedback.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno about the extended warranty since I didn't get one..

But as for the dealer thing it all depends on the dealer. I have went to 2 AC dealers:

1) I think this dealer was more of a Harley/Hog bike shop that sold ACs on the side than a true dealer. They seemed to ingnore us since we didn't have long beards and wear Harley shirts. (I swear we were the only ones with out a black harley shirt in the whole place!) But anyhoo they didn't seem to want to even talk to us let alone offer to let us test drive. After waiting for 5-7 mins at the front desk for service (with the guys walking past us and around us and plain ignoring us) the guy says to us (from across the room) and i quote "Yea you guys don't have to worry about us jumping on you with service, it is not like that here, we are just layed back." So yea.. needless to say we didn't go back there.

2) The second dealer we went to was fine. (this is the one we bought from) We visited a couple times and one of the times he said pick your bike out front and take it for a spin.. it was that simple. So matt (my brother), dad and I all got to drive it and we didn't have someone staring at us while we did. This was nice because there was no pressure or anything.

Some places are more strict about it than others. When at a big rally in the summer, Suzuki Canada was offering test drives but required signing papers and wearing helmets adn all this stuff. An AC dealer at the same rally just threw us the keys and said take it for a while. They didn't say anything about helmets (although we had our own anyway) and even let us ride double. It is probably safer for them to have done what Suzuki did, but i didn't mind either way.. The AC guys even gave us a pillow to put on the back rack to sit on.. that jsut won me over![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Well there I go again making a big drawn out story out of a question that could have been answered in like two lines.. oh well.... like i have anything better to do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

BTW the nation rules.. hope i don't get kicked off here for that![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Analysis Paralysis...