Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

How do I bleed my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While out riding yesterday I noticed some bubbles in my brake reservoir window...The brake lever was getting closer to the grip...There was obviously some air in the system, and it got pretty bad, although I didnt lose the brakes altogether...Anybody else have this problem? Anybody have any ideas on a fix? Any/all advice appreciated! ('02 500i auto, 50 miles)

Old 04-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

Delta, If I'am remembering right, you just recently got your 500i. Did the dealer replace the master cylinder for you before you picked it up? There is a service bullitin on these! (not the same as the brake presure switch recall)Not that this has to do with air getting into your system.

Old 04-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

I noticed my brake lever getting closer to the grip as well. I asked the dealer if the recall was fixed, but I didn't know there was two. Can anyone clearify this?? Thanks

Old 04-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

Akita & Delta, There was/is a RECALL for 15,500 arctic cat ATV's made between July 2001 and December 2001 this one is for the brake presure switch. The "i" models were not part of this RECALL. There was however a service bulletin sent out to dealers that requires them to replace the master cylinder assembly on the "i" models. I'm not sure if this is for all "i" models and if non "i" models are a part of this bulletin. You can call your dealer or Arctic Cat direct with you V.I.N. # and they will give you the lowdown as to wether or not your machine is effected.

Old 04-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply C-Cat...I'm pretty sure that the master cyl was NOT replaced B4 I picked up my AC...I will definitely call about the master cyl replacement issue...I hope that solves the problem...By the way, I took this incredible machine through some of the toughest rock-strewn, stump-lined, mud-filled trails I've ever seen yesterday...The auto trans was perfect-went through plenty of water without a hint of belt slippage, either...Overall, I'm very happy with this machine at this point...It definitely attracts attention on the trails, too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

delta, Happy to hear your enjoying your new ride. I'm also very glad to hear the Auto is performing so well(not that I had any doubts)and they certainly do attract attention don't they! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I too am having some problems with my 2001 500 Automatic Brake System.Last year I had to replace (Under Warranty) the master cylinder as the old one developed a problem with the piston sticking in it.The dealer gave me a new one and I put it on and everything worked perfectly untill the fall when I went to put it up for the winter.I noticed on the last ride my brake lever got spongy but I let it go untill this spring.As I wanted to check out the brake pads anyways I pulled the wheels and wheel cylinders and took everything apart and checked and cleaned everything up,installed new pads,put things back together and bled the system thoroughly but still have a spongy brake lever.I took the Master cylinder up to the dealer and tried it on a 2002 500i and it worked perfectly.Full lever and solid.I brought it back home and reinstalled it on my ride and bled and bled and bled and bled(You get the idea)the system but the same results.Still a spongy lever.About 1/4 to 1/3 lever.I tried a new pressure switch also but no luck.(I dont understand how the switch would give a spongy lever anyways!!!)Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You All [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure if I am having the same problem, but whenever I get into a sloppy mudhole that is at least as deep as the pads, the brakes seem to go out altogether. I pump them a few times and they work once or twice... then go back to not working at all... If I turn around and dive into a creek of deep water to wash the brakes off, they work fine...Kinda wierd to me, the thing isn't just not stopping well like i would expect, the lever goes all the way to the bars with very little effort. Both the 400i and the 500i do it just alike. I did notice while riding the 500i yesterday that the brakes quit one time while riding on the trail without the mud. This was the first time I ever had that happen. I will ask the dealer about the tech bulliten about the brakes when I take it in for the first service. Has anyone else broke the goofy brake lock lever? I have broken 2 so far in 2 months. I just about quit using it because it breaks so easily.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

Catsass, you might try checking the rubber brake lines to make sure there isn't a little bubble forming on them when to pull on the brake handle. A bad hose will do this exact same thing.The other thing I have read is the 02's have more of the brake system in metal lines instead of rubber lines to help with the pressure in the brake system.

Old 04-13-2002, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cummins,You hit the nail right on the perverbial head on this one.I took my RIDE up to my dealer and he said the exact same thing.Actually both front flex lines are bulging when I apply the brakes.He phoned Arctic to see what the fix is.Although it is a 2001 it only has 679 miles on it and as the dealer told the tech. guy on the phone it is CREAM PUFF.The dealer wants Arctic to pay for the Steel Braided lines just as the ones on the 2002's.He said it is definetely a safety issue that should be remedied by the Company.If they dont do it the dealer said he will put them on for me with no cost to me.I think you call it TRICK WARRANTY CONFIGURING LoL!!!Thanks for the input though.Glad to have help when I need it. Thanks again.I will let you know how this all works out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]