Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

IRS vs Solid Axle Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, you guys have me going. I have a 2002 500 manual ACT. It's wet out, so I did a different test. Jacked up one side of the cat and put bricks under one rear wheel. With 12 inches all four wheels are still on the ground. I did notice there was only 1/2 inch clearance between the shock and tire. What happens with wider than stock tires? Sorry, no pictures, take my word for it. I'm sure someone will have pictures soon. The tires have quite a lean to them, the IRS keeps them straight.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well, actually, there was a guy that custom made a 400ex to have the IRS and said it was the smoothest desert racer he has ever ridden. The only advantage I would see in MX is the fact that you could hit a jump crooked and you would still fly fairly straight, but I would still rather have the solid axle for weight reasons. If I rode utilities... IRS all the way.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:07 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

A solid rear will get you there but not in comfort, a person generally doesn't buy a utility quad for racing or dune riding. Yes, there are more moving parts but the advantages of IRS or ACT out weight the potential for more mechanical problems and the extra pounds.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I really liked the looks of the Cat the best. I did not get it after riding the Prairie 650. I do a lot of all-around riding so IRS was not as high on my priority list. It sure is smooth riding though. I ride a lot of tall grass and slough bottoms and the solid axle is more ideal for me. In rutted areas I wish I had IRS though. My next ATV will be a 500cc plus ATV for my wife which will certainly have IRS so I can have the best of both worlds.

2 more things:

1) A Highlifter employee (don't remember his name but I can link to the interview) enjoys riding IRS ATV's. He will not own one for his professional riding because of the reliability issues he has. He maintains that getting stuck high-center is a better trade-off to fixing and maintaing IRS.

2) Rumor has it that Arctic Cat is discontinuing ACT suspension in 2003 in favor or IRS in its bigger ATV's.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:51 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I've heard the rumor regarding the ACT suspension. Why would Cat introduce the 375 only to discontinue the ACT? That would mean the 375 would become an IRS machine and most certainly steal sales from the 400i besides there are a lot of people who prefer the ACT to IRS. If anything Cat will produce ACTs with adjustable shocks.

Old 04-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

The ACT suspension seems like a very nice option for 300cc ATV's. I would prefer it to solid axle.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

It's not quite the same idea, but if you go HERE you can see an '02 400 Act under articulation. One front and the opposing rear are up on 7" blocks in these shots.

If you have to go solid axel, go with the Act. In my opinion the only advantage IRS offers is clearance and maybe less body roll.

Old 04-29-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

That ACT suspension looks like it works slick. Wish my Prairie 650 had that. Thanks for the pics. I love the look of the Arctic Cat.

Daryn

Old 04-30-2002, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, i have to make a comment....i saw in the honda forum that someone said that IRS doesnt corner well.... BULL.

Both our griz's corner awsome. I can power slide (with brake or throttle) and NEVER had a problem. BUT, this is not a SPORT bike. It is a Utility, and wheel travel is very important. The rough terrain that we ride in, a sport could not. Thus, the difference in bikes. I really like the IRS and ACT, both. I dont think that i would buy a quad with a solid rear axle (even though i like the kaw).

It all depends on riding style and prefferences.

Thanks for the pics... really nice.

Glad to have forums that are informative and SHOW nice features.

^5 and good job
Jonathan

Old 04-30-2002, 04:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've seen a few good replies here and a few that are just reaching for anything to grab onto. This picture is almost sick with that massive offset and ground control.

first, the guy that said sport riders prefer this or that. SPORT riders don't get 650lb. 4x4's to do their dirty work. This doesn't even apply here.

Second- the guy that said the solid axle because of less nuts and bolts. Not a lot of a-arms laying around the junk pile. Maybe a few cv's, but its not really a major issue. We are talking performance, and not 50mph cornering either.

I think this picture really describes it. The only better step would be to put a 600 Grizzly or a Prairie 650 in place of the Rancher. As for the ACT question. It would do extremely well. Not quite as radical looking as the 500i did, but all 4 would still be on the ground. The 99 ACT performs as well as my 660 without the anti-sway bar to be honest.

Quick Reply: IRS vs Solid Axle Pictures