Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Belt Slippage on the Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002 | 07:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hi. I am thinking of getting an Arctic Cat 500 Automatic and wonder if the belts slip when in the mud. My buddy has a 660 Grizzly and is having trouble with his belt slipping. Mind you he is in deep mud and water but other bikes go in the same places and don't experience this problem. I know nothing about Arctic Cats but love the way they look and am impressed with the specs of the bike. I also would like to hear anything bad you can tell me about the bike. If I plan on buying one I would like to know what to look for. I understand that all bikes are not perfect but don't want to have annoying problems like that 660 Grizzly is having. Thank you for any unbiased information you can give. Also should I go with the IRS or the ACT suspension? Which would be more comfortable? I want a utility bike that I can play with also. One more question. Can someone explain to me how the front differential works? Is it a normal limited slip or is it something different? Thank you.

Old 05-06-2002 | 08:47 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Immature
I haven't had any trouble with my belt slipping in the mud. But it is possible to splash through deep-water crossing and get water in the tranny. Truthfully I have no complains regarding the tranny, it seems to do a good job keeping the engine in the sweet spot of the power band. As for EBS it works as well as any other auto quad I've ridden. Unfortunately I can't really comment on the 500's characteristics or traits because I own a 375 (same machine just a smaller engine) although it should be very similar.
The front diff is a limited slip unit that for most part works well. I have seen posts on different forums stating that the 01 diffs were better (Suzuki designed as opposed to the new AC design). The Ac diff gives the impression it free wheels less than some others, but it unfortunately can't compete with the 660 locker.
IRS or ACT? It's a toss up; my ACT suffers from lots of body roll. The IRS features adjustable shocks, which will make a world of difference, and it also gives the 500 a slightly wider stance. I went with 375 due to the fact it had the ACT (simple), auto tranny, and bigger engine than the 400i. Looking back I'd almost rather have an i for the increased stability. It's really what you like better. Hope this helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2002 | 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

I'v been mud and water up to the fenders unfortunatly I had to keep it running to work the winch(no fault of the machines- operator trouble)and I had no problems at all. It will go any were father than I will be willing to take it at this point. Some people have mentioned that the 375 has alot body roll but no one has mentioned that it was the most comfortable to ride when just riding.

Old 05-06-2002 | 09:28 PM
Range Rover

hey dude , buy a 500-i- manual , no belt , IRS , add some 27 tires , shake well , ride hard , hard to beat , my dealer offer me one the other day at a great price , to bad im poor ! I have a 400 i , 26 tires 589m/s 13-1/2 ground clearance , I allso have a 500 sp polaris ,it has a belt , so for I have no problems with it , I play in the river a lot to , but I think the 500-i manaul is the way to go for deep mud , check out the highlifter site for the 500 they set up , its unreal , if you can wait , wait till after july see whats new , mite have a diff lock you never know , I had a 2001 400 act , it was a good quad , but the I model is a lot better , wider , and more stable , I heard rumers the act are on the way out , may be just rumers , but belive me IRS is super , best ride Ive had yet ,

chunky

2002-400-i
2000-500-sp
1997-220

Old 05-06-2002 | 11:02 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Bullets
The 375 does have a great ride, but the soft suspension gives a false impression that the quad is tipping over in difficult off-camber situations. Of course this is my personal opinion, I'm wondering what changes will made for 03.
Chunkyboy where did you hear about ACT being phased out? I've seen this posted a couple of different times on several forums. No dealers around here can give or know any info on the 03s. Since the 375 shares the frames with the 400 and 500 it is quite possible it could become an i-model. Is there a locker on the way?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2002 | 07:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thank yu for your info. I think I will wait and see what 03 brings. It sounds like IRS is the way to go. I wonder why the 660 Grizzly has such bad problems with belt slippage?

Old 05-07-2002 | 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

The ony quad i have owned is a AC500 auto with the ACT rear end, so far have been happy with it no complaint at all. Used for hunting, hauling corn into the woods and swamp,and hauling deer out. Since this is my only fourwheeler i have had, all I can say is that I don't think that I would buy annother brand if I had to do it over again. All my hunting buddies like the AC setup compared to thier Hondas, and the performance so far. According to the forums the belt slipping problem have been taken care of with the metal belt housing and gasketing

Old 05-07-2002 | 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

TGi

My dealer also said that the ACT were going to be discontinued... he said his AC rep told him.. the same rep that said AC was going to have an 800.. I hope he is right!

newf

Old 05-07-2002 | 10:16 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

A 375i would be a really nice rig. I'd like to see this 800 Cat come true, but a 650i (kawi motor) would be even nicer... At least to me. I've seen some guys post on the Highlifter forum that Cat could be making the first 2up ATV. If it's true then it's a great idea since many people ride 2up anyways. Too bad legal issues always get in the way....

Old 05-07-2002 | 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I would not worry about the belt slipping at all. Unless you swamp it and fill the belt housing with mud, slop, and water![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] All the other companies use a plastic cover, which does not seal as well as the AC aluminum covers...and the belts are really heavy duty. I have not had any problems with my auto at all. But I have riden with many Polaris machines that have nothing but problems. I know when switching from a manual machine to an auto you will be a little apprehensive, but if you are looking at an auto, the Cat is very reliable!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

later fango

Quick Reply: Belt Slippage on the Automatic