Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Well I did it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my STOLEN quad with a NEW auto 500i. The dealer had it in the show room with 28" Mudzillas on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (he must have known i was comin' to look) Even though he saw me comin', he must have felt sorry for me as I got a GRREAT deal. I was a little apprehensive about the big 28" tires. But after riding them thru some mud holes yesterday --- NO MORE worries. They do eat up some of the power especially on the top end but I don't EVER need speed . I am more interested in the bottom end torque. (do i see a tranny mod in the near future?) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Was playing in the mud with a friend on his 660 Grizzly with stock (bad) tires. He couldn't get out of the hole on the far side even in full lock. With my Mudzillas I walked thru in 2 wheel drive. Great tires but I think the real reason is the FULL 15" of clearance they give me. What a day. Even had my Grandson with us on his AC 90. What a HUGE smile on his face when I let him drive the 500i thru the BIG mudhole.

More to come later.

shmoky

Old 05-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi. I am thinking of purchasing a 500 Automatic. Why did you mention a modification to the tranny? Is there a problem or do you just want more torque. And if this bike is supposed to have more torque than a 600 Grizzly why do you need more torque? DO you feel this bike has enough torque or is just the big tires. How do you like the IRS?

Old 05-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm happy for ya Shmoky!!! Now you should do a little shopping for some insurance![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am thinking about going with 28's on my 2000 auto500. I have already modified my tranny with minehunters tranny trick and the low end is amazing. I just don't know if I should go with the 27's or the 28's. What do you think. I'm going to by tires anyway, but I just need some reassurance from some fellow AC riders who have put on the bigger meats.

Later Fango

Old 05-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

Immature: I just want MORE torque and a quicker response in the bottom end. The tranny mod will do that. I have the 28" tires and they do eat up some of the power but not a lot. I still get almost 50mph and can spin them in the mud in low range. The bike has enuf torque but I just want MORE. Losing top end speed is NOT a factor for me.

Fang: I feel happy too. I have shopped for insurance and found if I join the BC ATVers accociation I can get fire/theft/comp. for around $300.00 a year. That sounds good for me. I also have it chained to the floor struts in my shed. The chain had to be cut with a torch to get me my length. The lock can't be touched with a bolt cutter. So I do sleep at nite. Regarding the 27's or 28's: I am VERY happy with the 28's. The extra clearance is amazing. Everyone I ride with says WOW what a difference a set of tires makes. But it is not ONLY the tires. It is also the 15" of clearance they give me. GO WITH THE 28's !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

gotta go, (you know mother's day and all)

shmoky

Old 05-13-2002, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

just so you know I have farmers insurance and it is only 240.00 for full coverage on my sp700 and that is with 7800.00 replacement cost. 100/300 liability and 250 dollar deductible.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:25 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Shmoky
Glad to hear you got a new Cat. I got my insurance through AAA and pay only $145 a year. Progressive wanted to charge me a little over $300! I realize a 375 isn't a big-bore but thought this might help. Happy riding!

Old 05-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

Glad you got your new Cat. Still feel bad for your other one getting stolen though!!!

Old 05-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Great news shmoky. I hope you enjoy you're new machine. Did you check to see if your auto insurance would cover it since it was stolen from the back of your truck?

$300 sounds pretty steep for fire/theft/comp. I pay $185 here in Nova Scotia. Maybe the rules for insurance is different in BC, I'm not sure. Even at $300 it's money well spent. Congrats

There's an insurance company around that only deals in motorcycles/ATVs. I'll see if I can't find the phone # or email for them for you.