Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic 500 Automatic. How Good Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002 | 03:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi. I am thinking of purchasing an ATV and really like the look of the Arctic Cat 500. I think I would like the Automatic but don't know much about it. Does it slip? Is the ACT suspension a better choice than the IRS? How does this bike compare to others? Any maintenance problems that occur with these bikes? Please I would like honest answers not just that "the Arctic Cat rules and everything else is junk". I want a good looking bike that gives a good ride and is not going to have belt slippage in water (like the new 660 Grizzly) and is reliable. Another question. How does the bike like cold weather? I live in NB, Canada and would be using it in the winter months also. My buddy had a 600 Grizzly and it was very difficult starting in the cold. The only way we could get it started was to take a propane torch and warm the carburators. Anyway just wondering about the overall quality and some of the major problems people have had with these machines. Thank you!

Old 05-12-2002 | 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I once had an ac 300 4x4 and it ran great in the cold weather of hayward wisconsin. that had independant four wheel susp. I looked at the ac 500 and isn't that four wheel independant as well? I thought it was 2002 500i. I bought the sp700 because i am 294lbs and I also use it for working around the property. this sp700 has been the most water tight belt driven quad I have been on. I have seen the ac 500i in the mud and it did very well it actually won a mud pull over the rubicon 500 from honda.This was in about 18 - 22 inches of mud but did it in deeper mud but not pulling the rubicon behind it. I love honda but after watching that and not wanting to waste half of the summer waiting for the rincon from honda I buoght the sp700 from polaris. I did stop last week at the artic cat dealer in trego WI and he saidthe 500i out the door was $5925.00 that is very good this dealer was the top us arttic cat dealer this last year. I know why now that is very reasonable for that much machine. hope you will buy one you can't go wrong the 500 ho. from polaris will cost you $6750.00 OTD good machine as well but at that differance you can get a winch with your arttic cat and a few other things.

Old 05-12-2002 | 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

This sounds a lot like your last post, Immature.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] The AC is a very reliable machine. I am sure there are some bad eggs out there though. But that is as with all other applications as well. I am very pleased with my 500 auto. I have not had any belt slippage or any other problems with my machine that are not self inflicted. If you are looking for negative responses, you will receive them from dissatisfied owners. Speaking for myself only, I would tell you that my AC fits my needs well. I live in a cold weather climate and my machine has had no problems with cold weather riding. Although, I park my Cat in a heated garage. If you are still unsure about whether to buy a Cat I can only say go out and test ride all the machines you are interested in. my $.02![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

later Fango

Old 05-12-2002 | 06:25 PM
Range Rover

I still have to hear someone's belt slipping or need to replace the belt yet. My 375 has the same transmission as the 500. I love it.

The ACT suspension has less moving parts and is proven. With the 500 you can get ACT or IRS. 375 only comes in ACT.

Old 05-13-2002 | 07:18 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

I have to agree with sargenthp, I still have yet to get the belt wet enough to slip. I did clean out the tranny this weekend and checked the belt. I've seen 660s, 700s, and 500 HOs all get their belts wet however this was due to the guys riding them flirting with disaster in the deeper water/mud holes than anything else. Any belt machine can get wet, but it all depends on how far you want to go. I have no complains about my 375 except for the body roll issue (there’s just a little more than I like). Would I buy another? Yes! Go buy a Cat and be happy.