Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500i - Your Opinions and That Darned Foot Shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at several ATV's lately. One quad that stands out to me, visually at least, is the Arctic Cat 500i. That thing just looks tough.

However, the AC 500i gets the short end of the stick in every review and comparison with other similar ATVs I have read. I would like to get the opinions of some AC 500i owners rather than just reading the magazine articles.

Although I really enjoyed the automatic transmission on the quad I test rode, I would rather have the automatic clutch shifter. But, I hate their foot shifter. Is there an aftermarket shifter available that would convert this to a normal shifter like found on other ATVs?

As I stated before, I have looked at several ATVs and they all share nearly the same features nowadays. If it came down to looks, which it just might, I think the AC 500i is the best looking one of the lot.

What's your opinion of this machine and how does it compare to others you have tried?

Old 05-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

Cat actaully has an adapter to convert the toe/heel shifter into a conventional toe shifter. Its relatively inexpensive but i would suggest you try out the AC shifter for a while before getting the adapter. You will get used to the toe/heel shifter much faster then you would expect . It really shines if you are wearing large winter boots or heavy work boots. I wouldnt ride with anything but a toe/heel shifter , it just takes time to get used to.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with thud. Here in Nova Scotia the regular footshifter is about 15 bucks. I think.. maybe that is american and it is more here.. i can't remember.. but yea i would try the heel/toe for a while. it kinda grows on ya.. and then if you still hate it you can get the normal shifter.

newf

Old 05-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea don't listen to those rags. they don't appreciate the cats for what they are meant to do.. and they are awsome at what they are meant to do: slow, torquey, climby, pully, fun! They plop sport riders on them and then those riders say they suck since they don't handle like a sport bike or the closest thing to one. I for one LOVE my 500i. It is perfect in everyway and i am 100% satisfied!

newf

Old 05-22-2002, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree with THUD. I own 2 cats and a Honda and converted the Honda to a toe/heel its the only way to go. As for the rags that dont promote the Cats they cant find a harder working quad. I have a 500 4x4 Honda, 500 4x4 A/C and a 300 4x4 A/C. The 300 out preforms the Honda in work. But the Honda isn't a slouch either its fast. My 500 A/C is my favorite of all its great all around, though not as fast as the Honda, its a work horse and a mean machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2002, 06:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I liked the rocker shifter the whole 3 years I had my AC. Not one qualm with it.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

what they said , I like mine to , nerf where you been , I anit seen you lately over there , I got to tell you this , I have a friend I ride with and he was allways raging on my shifters , then he get a new street bike ,guess what its got a heel- toe shifter on it ,and its the greatest thing hes ever seen , go figger , ride it a week you will say , you know I like that thing , Im going to put one on our kawasaki to , works great in the mud ,
chunky

Old 05-25-2002, 02:47 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

It took a little getting use to but I grew to like the shifter on the old Cat. It was much easier to use when wearing big boots.

Old 05-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hi chunky!
I know I know it's terrible how being busy keeps you from the things you like. i haven't had a chance to be on the internet at all for the longest time before the past few days. I missed quite a bit it seems. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Not only that i haven't got to ride all that much either. Went out last weekend once.. but that isn't nearly enough! dang i wish there were trails right by the house so that i could just get on and ride away.

Just got back from giving the kitty a well deserved bath. she sparkles now.. well everywhere a brush would reach.. (don't have a pressure washer)

anyhoo gotta go make my rounds around the rest of the forums

mel