Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 500I still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first i like to thank Cattrax for trying to help me but sorry it wasnt the carb vent tube.
Last week me and my body went on a vacation quadind the Matapedia valley we rode over 500 miles in 4 days and believe me my overheating problem is still there. It was pretty hot outhere around 90 degress, everytime i asked the cat for power it would backfire on me(it made it for a long week), going up hill was almost impossible. The way the dealer explained to me is that the fire(spark) is design to cut out when the oil temp reach 230 degress to protect the engine, i know it is liquid cool but dont let that fool you the antifreeze only circulated and cool the top end of the engine. My bike been in the shop since last friday, the dealer call Arctic Cat and i guess im not the only one we this problem they are now trying to find a solution(maybe an oil cooler). Did anyone else had this problem............ (This problem is only momentary it goes away went i can get enough speed so the air cool the engine)
Help i need you input[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

hey buddy , sorry your having trouble ,I too have have a heating problem , I traded a 2001 400-4x4 act for a 2002 400i for my back , I use to bragg to people about how cool the 01 ran ,cant say that about the 02 it will burn your leg at times , it hasnt done what your has ,but it wouldnt surprise me , I hope your dealer can help you , im going to talk to my dealer this saturday about mine , see what he says [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

Your bike is to run on the rich side, it sounds like the carb. is too lean . the pilot ajustment screw at the bottom of the carb. should be a full 2 turns out. If it is, then check the float level, might be too low, you should have your dealer check the float level (warnanty). Also drain your gas out of the carb. just to remove any dirt.

hey Slowcat I used to live near you a ville called Arvida but I think they change the name... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I hope this will help.. Oh, is your cooling fan running all the time or does it shut down and only come on when the engine is hot or does it ever come on?

Old 07-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

The first thing I'd do is check your fan to make sure it's running properly. Then your fuel for water or dirt. My buddy has a new 500i and has had -0- problems with over heating. We rode all week in 80-85deg. weather......Good luck!

Old 07-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well you guy wont believe this, i got my bike back from the dealer and there fix was:they cut my fender without asking me and installed a snowmobile air vent in it plus they drill a bunch of hole in the plastique guards in the front end of the bike to let more air get to the engine(i guess they never though of all the water and dirt that will also get in. I took the bike out for a ride and the same problem happen after 20 miles of hard riding, back to the shop again. This time they rerouted the air inlet for the cluch by putting and extension on the tube, now the intake is just in front of the handlebar, there theorie was that the cluch was using warn air coming from the engine in the same time making the engine run hotter.They also told me that Arctic cat made all these recommendation. Everything chunkyboy and bigcat said what checked, no problem there, for the fan it work as advertise. So what do you guys think about this...

Old 07-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I would be a little up-set with your so-called "mechanic". I'd want a new fender for starts! Next time try looking up a go Cat dealer. Maybe in the North where they work on them year round! (Snowmobiles!)Arctic Cat makes there mechanics go to class to learn about their products. Yours sounds like he is guessing and trying to make a quick fix! I live in Maine and own a Arctic Cat sled and AC 300 4x4 if I had a problem I know they will fix it right! Try e-mailing a dealer with your problem, I bet they can help. Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey dude,
you said that your cat was overheating!!!! check to make sure that your radiator is clean... you should be able to se through it. sounds simple but if those fins aren't clean it won't cool..

Old 07-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

Also check the thermostat it could be stuck and not opening all the way, or like 400catman said the rad is plug with mud or you have a bad rad.