Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Arctic Cat
Reload this Page >

99 Arctic Cat 500 vs. 2000 Arctic Cat 500 AUTO

Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

99 Arctic Cat 500 vs. 2000 Arctic Cat 500 AUTO

Old 10-12-1999, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Here are some of the differences that I caught in ATV Magazines test of the Cat-omatic.

1) New gas gauge
2) Better placement of the Fuel Shut-off Valve
3) 1.6 inch longer wheelbase
4) Shorter turning radius
5) Arctic Cat made brakes (Wilwood makes the brakes on all of Arctic Cats other quads)
6) Aluminum brake fluid reservior
7) Selectable 2wd/4wd with the use of a lever on the right front fender
8) Smaller tires(25-10-12 vs 26-10.5-12)
9) Easier steering
10) 3 lbs heavier
11) And finally an automatic transmission

Arctic Cat 500, The new King of the Cats AND Quads

Old 10-23-1999, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what I got from the
ATV Connection review:
This quad has EVERYTHING riders
have asked for.
The trans is the best offered
The 4wheel drive is true
The ride is superb, great clearance
The quality of build is excellent
The price is around $6400, about
$500 LESS than a SP500.
Am I missing something?

Old 10-27-1999, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm getting pretty close to buying my 1st ATV. I have looked at the pros and cons of most utility/open class quads and like different features implemented on different machines. I'm leaning toward the 2000 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. The dealer says that the 2000 has implemented new "easier steering" and a shorter turning radius. An earlier posting implied this to be on the new Automatic. My question is this: Has the steering/turning only been improved on the Auto? Also what is this forums opinion on auto vs manual tranny? Auto is nice but is it worth the extra cash and possibly more maintenance? Thanks all.

Old 10-27-1999, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 2000 AC500 Manual and it does steer much easier and sharper than the 99. I prefer the manual less things to break and go wrong. Not that there is anything wrong with the auto.

AC500 Not your average Kitty.

[This message has been edited by cosbeard (edited 10-27-1999).]

Old 10-27-1999, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

The new Cat Auto is out. One of our local dealers in Richfield just got one in last night, I was fortunate enough to get to take it for a ride.
Here is my quick assesment.

The transmission seemed very well assembled, it took off from a start very quickly. very little tranny noise, it did have some whine to it not unlike a Yamaha.
The trans was very wide and all sorts of things were sticking out of the side, im not sure what all of them were but I know that the shift cables ran from the shifter on the right side under the fuel tank area.
The shifting on this particular machine was terrible, you never could tell if you were in gear or not, and it was very hard to get it into and out of gear.

Overall it seemed like a nice bike, but I was hoping they would have handled the details a little better...Ill keep waiting to see how the Rubicon measures up.

Old 10-28-1999, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

So how does it compare to your Sportsman?
Which feel like it has more power?
How does it steer?
Which side do you call the right?(the side with the brake lever?)

The Atv Magazine had trouble with the shifter because it moved TOO freely, they could not tell what gear they were in because it move to each gear with out a stop or somthing to tell you which gear you were in.

Arctic Cat 500, OH HELL YEA

Old 10-28-1999, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

It felt alot like the Sportsman as far as power, Im not sure that it was more powerful it felt good..the low range did not in my opinion seem as low as the S500. The brakes felt good..I wasnt real impressed with how you select 2wd/4wd it is a handle that sticks out from the fender, I just wonder how effective that would be in very cold/snowy conditions or very muddy conditions. ??? Overall I liked the bike, but im not sure it is state of the art.
By the way..I sold my 99 S500 and bought a 2000 450es Honda.

Old 10-28-1999, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

What about a front locking differential???

Old 11-07-1999, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

To address a few things posted the my auto was very stiff for the first 50 miles now it is great seems to me it has more power than the sp500 rode a buddy of mine seems the AC 500 got out quicker and had a better top end could really tell no difference of the pull in low gear seemed the same and I have no trouble telling what gear it is in it shows neautral on the key switch and a quick look at the shift tells you where you are at I seriously think if you get an automatic you will not go back to the standard I know I won't seems the 4 wheel to 2 wheel is in an awkward place not like push button on other models but it pulls like a sherman tank I love it...BiLL

Follow the Big Cat...

Old 11-09-1999, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I think Arctic Cat must be improving
the new model auto as they build more.
I drove one this afternoon that was a
new arrival. The 2wd/4wd lever was on the left side and redesigned from the one in
this sites test.
The gear shift was very precise and smooth.
It felt quite a bit faster than my 98
Polaris Magnum 425.
The tranny noise was almost non-existant.
The engagement of the tranny when you
bleep the throttle was much more quick
than my Magnum.
I was very impressed and almost wrote the
dang check today. They are expecting
more to arrive in a few days...
I want a red one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Arctic Cat 500 vs. 2000 Arctic Cat 500 AUTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: