Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Split Brake Lever System For AC500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to drop out of a 60 mile "Pumpkin Ride", hosted by the Windrock ATV Club of Oliver Springs, TN, because I sprained my LEFT wrist halfway through the trip. I had to ride about 18 miles after I sprained it, but the Good Lord helped me out and I got picked up 12 miles shy of finishing. (Thanks again Charlie and Dale!)

This was the first "extended" trip I had taken with my AC500 and I was well pleased with its performance. On a side note, out of 236 ATV's on the trip there were about 12 or more Arctic Cats-250cc and up! And of the 4 vehicles I know of that had to be towed out of the woods on day one....2 were HONDAS!.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone knows of a split brake lever system like you can get for a Polaris?
I don't really want to control the front and back discs seperately (I know on a true 4wd system it doesn't matter...you slow the front, the back will slow too...etc..) I just want the option of using my right hand if I want too! I have no complaints on the performance of my brakes, I just don't want to be in the same situation when I'm 30 miles out and there might not be someone to help me out next time! I know this was a freak thing and may not happen again, but I would definitely invest in a right lever kit if there is one available....Anybody heard of this?

Thanks for any info!

------------------
Rob Ervin 99' AC500

Old 10-19-1999, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could have a seperate front front brake lever. That way I could lock up just the fronts to get better traction in the mud.

I know this works, because I found it out when I left the parking brake on,on my 500, (ooooops)when I was pulling a heavy trailer. I could not steer it, even on gravel, where I can steer my BigCat with one hand.

Arctic Cat 500, The bigger cat