Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Dunlop or Titan489

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering which are better Titan489 or the Dunlops that are stock on the 03 AC...

Old 08-23-2002, 08:15 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

489s by far. The stock Dunlops are crap, they are way to soft for four-wheeling and don't offer nearly as much traction as the 489s. I've just received my Dirt Devils so the Dunlops are coming off.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey TGI I have the same Cat that you have! I want to get a winch for mine also. Was it much trouble installing? Does it work well?

How do you like your 375??

Old 08-23-2002, 11:08 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Icemanphil
I didn’t in install the winch the dealer did when I bought the Cat. My understanding is that if you buy the winch at a Cat dealer then everything is there to make it a smooth operation (wiring harness, and mount). The 2500s are great, they'll even pull a 700SP out of the mud![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Honestly I love it, although it is my first winch. One thing, the rollers on the fair lead get packed up with dirt and grim. This causes them not to spin as freely as they should. Just unbolt the roller, spray WD40 to clean them out and add some never seize or grease.
As for the 375 it has plenty of power, even with both of us on it. I've never had trouble keeping up with the others in a straight line. In tight turns it gets a little more difficult due to the body roll. Hopefully after installing the Dirt Devils the body roll will be less. The dealer has been trying to track down some 03 ACT shocks... They are on back order. Some people have been adding washers, and some have used 01 shocks to cure the body. Overall I'm a happy camper especially since Blackmagic will start cranking out some parts. Who knows we might see a locker?
Oh yea I just bought the front and rear bumpers today!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I'll have to take my Cat to the dealer when I get the winch. Probably the best way to go.

Yeah, I have taken my Cat on some pretty big mud rides and have kept up with all of the big boys. No wonder they are calling the 375 the Giant Killer. Arctic Cat is using this engine on the new 400 models for 03. So, this may be the only 375's ever made, kinda cool.

Not sure what you mean about the body roll... is there a problem with tight turns? I haven't noticed...

What kind of bumpers did you buy??

I can't wait until blackmagicracing comes out with some performance parts!!

Old 08-23-2002, 11:51 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Taking turns faster speeds produces a body roll. The suspension and stock tires are just a little too soft. I bought the Cat front bumper actually I guess it 's a bush guard and the rear Cat bumper. Both seem to very heavy duty. As for having one of the few 375 it is cool. People are always amazed by the size of the engine... In fact my Cat got nicked named tow truck on the last ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you buy the bumper and brush guard from your Arctic Cat dealer or somewhere else?

I was looking at getting the ITP 589 tires for mine... but you like the dirt devils?

Thanks for the info!

Yeah tow truck is a good name...

Old 08-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

IcemanPhil, I did the winch installs on both my 400 and my brother's 375. It's really rather easy to do, if you want to save yourself some money. Be sure you BUY the winch from your dealer and tell him what machine it's for (all Arctic-Cats use the same winch).

The only "tough" spot on the 375 was mounting the solenoid. This goes on the back side of the battary compartment and you need to remove the storage box and part of the rear tranny "snorkle" to get at it properly. This might be easier with a set of deep well sockets and an extention or two, though (which I didn't have).

I am sure the dealer would have no qualms about installing it for you, but I saved $100 per machine doing it myself.

Old 08-25-2002, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

I also installed the Warn 2500 with AC installation kit on my 500i, after hand winching it off of a hillside where it got stuck. Never again!

Installation is very easy. With the kit, all cables are cut to the right length, properly labeled, and color coded. Toughest part was running the wires from the switch on the handlebar, and that wasn't very hard. I did relocate the relay away from the muffler, no point in getting it hot if it wasn't necessary. If you go this route, be sure to cut a drain hole in your battery box while you're under there. They didn't put one, and if you get in the deep stuff, water will accumulate in your battery box and stay there.

One of the reasons I had to winch the cat off of a hillside was the somewhat flabby dunlops, they flexed way too much and increased the lean. I'm looking at replacements, kinda partial to spider tracs due to past experience with them, but it never hurts to consider alternatives.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:01 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

Icemanphil
I got the bumpers right at the dealer (you can check them out on the website). I haven't had a chance to mount the Dirt Devils yet.

Quick Reply: Dunlop or Titan489