Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

how do I make the 90 go faster????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my son a artic cat 90 a few months ago and I was wondering how I can remove the governor on it so it will go faster? Will this hurt the motor any if I do this? Any help will be really appreciated.

Old 09-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Your dealer should have fixed that problem before it ever left the dealership. They are useless with the restrictor in. There are actually 2 one in the intake system on the carb and one in the clutch. With these out the little kitty will run with the lt80 actually faster on take off. I suggest the one in the carb first. I haven't done it yet since I haven't picked the lime green one up yet maybe this weekend. My nephew has on that has all the restrictions out and it will do over 25mph with a 200lb person on it. If you still want more go to a bigger sprocket in the rear.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Mudcat...I am going to call the dealer and have them fix this small problem. My boy weighs about 110lbs, and with the restrictors in it will barely climb small hills with him on it. I am buying me a new Grizz soon and I want him to go riding with me, but as it is now, we would only be able to go on flat ground.

Old 09-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Is there a way to make the Ds90 faster (they have the same engine)

Old 10-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default how do I make the 90 go faster????

I also have a AC90. I have to help my daughter put it on the trailer, it wont go on its own. I have to push it, while she is on the gas.
Can anyone walk me through this?

Old 10-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Though I am not certain, most of the 90cc quads use the same engine. I went here and ordered their 90cc to 110cc kit for my Polaris Sportsman 90. I did this because I had to replace the head anyway as some grit got in and basically destroyed the piston and cylinder. Polaris wanted $400 to bore it out and oversize it (to a true 90cc) but I got the 110cc kit for $102 (including shipping) and did it myself.

It's still being broken in but my son reports it already has more power then when it was new. I took a spin and it seemed to haul my big bottom around better too.

It's remarkably easy to do.

I know you can get muffler upgrades as well, though the ones at this site may not fit.

Another option is to get ahold of a fellow on this forum named "Raptor720," I believe his kids race these machines and he has access to parts for a reasonable cost as well.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I finally took my 90 back to the dealer and he took the spacer out of the carb. They are taking them out on all of the 90's now. Now the kitty has all the power that my boy needs and will pretty much get up and move. I can get on it and sit all the way at the rear of the seat and nail the throttle and if I pull on it, it will pull the front tires off the ground. That is what the problem with the 90 is, AC puts a limiter on the carb needle so it won't get full power as a safety measure. It was a 5 minute fix under warranty.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

I once got my kid's 90cc up to 40mph!

'Course, it was on the back of my Cat at the time, as we'd broken the swingarm. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Tomorrow we take the now 110cc version to be broken in. Should be interesting to see how it does.

Old 10-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the 90cc to 110 cc conversion worked perfect except for one small snafu.

(mental note: Next time make sure the head bolts are tight BEFORE testing).

My son reports that it's "15 to 20 percent more powerful than new!" I'm way too big to test it myself so I'll have to go with the subjective opinion of my 12 year old and say it is a success!

Old 05-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pechmial. I tried clicking on your link but would not work. Can you repost it or send me a PM.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: how do I make the 90 go faster????