Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

IRS on 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS on 400

I'd like to buy AC 400 4x4 auto for my wife. Is its IRS comparable with yamaha or polaris rear suspension, ...or is the ride similar? Does it have a light steering in 2x4 ...and 4x4?????????
Is the power similar or better than her current ride Polaris Magnum 325/motor is only 50cc's bigger???/. Anyone has a personnal experience? /I hate to sell her Magnum, but she's got a back pain after 3,4 hours every time we go riding./
So, 3 questions,IRS, steering, power. Thanks .
Joe
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default IRS on 400

Can't speak for the power as I ride a 500i, but I can cover the other areas.

The IRS is at least comparable, if not better, than the other machines. It has slightly better ground clearance and slightly better wheel travel. Not enough to make a dramatic improvement, but it's at least as good, probably a bit better.

Steering is very light, for the size of the machine. It's lighter than my old 350 big bear, which was a much smaller machine. In 4x4, there is no real increase in steering effort. I tend to leave mine in 4x4, as the front end bites a bit better, and steering doesn't get any stiffer. My wife can drive the Cat, and she doesn't like quads.

If she's having back pains after a long ride, the IRS Cat is the machine to get. I couldn't believe the difference between my old bear and my Cat, the bear just beat you up on a rough trail, while the cat glides over the same terrain.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default IRS on 400

Our club brought out a new 400 I for one of the club rides. The ride was a night "Halloween" ride. The elevation was between 5000-9000 ft. The terrain was mud and snow with some very rocky roads. My turn was fairly short Only about 10 miles but here are my impressions. The "I" was too stiff. It was a night ride so I didn't stop to check to see where they had the preload set. I have heard others say that it theres isn't this way. For steering: It was very light. Even lighter than my 01 400 in four wheel drive. The power was there although the bike was new so the motor hadn't been broke in yet. The clutch seemed to make more noise than the AC 500 or Polaris Sportsmans. This was bothersome at first but I got used to it.
Now if your deciding between the Polaris Magnum I would take the AC 400I over the Polaris. If your deciding between the sportsman 400 and the AC 400I then its a toss up. The both have their good points and bad points.

For you wife. Does she wear a kidney belt? If not get her one. For $25 this may solve her back pain.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default IRS on 400

Thanks guys, I am pretty much convinced. She has the Magnum 325 4x4 and I/she doesn't want to spend the money/ want to sell the magnum and buy her AC. She hates the big machines/I had SP 500 for 4 years and she rode it once, the same with my griz 660, too much power, too high,I don't like it she said/.
The kidney belt is a great idea ..... I'll buy it for her.