Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bent frame, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent frame, what to do?

I am new to this forum. I have a 01 AC 300 4x4.

I was jumping with it while riding some open spaces and landed (high sided) on some rocks. Basically I landed on a ridge and bend my frame rails. The ridge was parallel to my ATV and so the bends are on the two bottom (lower) frame tubes going from the left side to the right side frame rails!!

The bike still rides straight, and there is no "tear" in the frame. Should I try to bend the frame back? Or should I buy a new frame?

I have had this ATV for about 8 months now. Man this thing is though! I have flipped with it twice, the first time I lost the speedo. The second time I broke the bars and bend both front and rear racks (it rolled down a step hill). $80 for a new handlebar (with a cross bar, it looks a lot better than stock), and some bending and welding of the racks and all is good again.

What modifications would you suggest to get a bit better power out of this 300? I am adding a 2500 Warn winch (It was really tuff to put the bike back on its wheels when I fliped. I was bruised and bleeding and almost got stranded). I have also changed the air filter to a K&N (can't feel any difference).

It is nice finally finding a forum with some fellow AC riders.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

i would say do not bend the frame back. once it is bent, it creates a weak point, and when you bend it back , it makes it even more weaker. i would suggest just biting the bullet and buying a new frame for it.

Old 01-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Sounds to me me as if your riding style is more suited for a sport bike, rather than a 4x4 utility machine.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

my friend was borowing my ac 300 and some one ran into him and bent the frame on it. i took it to a welding shop and they straighted it back up. i figured $90 was worth a try vs. $300 for a new frame and then switching all the parts out. my frame is still all alingned up and i have ridden it allot since then but i dont jump it eithe but i do have 26" outlaws on it and do allot of mud riding.

Old 01-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you all for your input. I think I will try to get it straightened out first, and hope for the best.

MaxandBlade, my post sounds "wilder" than what I actually do with the AC.... I actually use it for its utility purposes most of the time.

I live near an open space, and so most of my fun riding is on fire roads. My proerty is on steep hill, so I do some crawling on it too.

I can't believe what these 4x4 atvs are capable of!

Old 01-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure you use heat before you bend. other wise you will weaken the frame if not break it.