Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Warn 2500 installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 2500 installation question

The #2500 has a contactor instead of a solenoid. If you use a #2500 without the contactor it will only be a #2000 .. Bill

Old 01-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Never really thought about selling the racks. I found out that as soon as I "go into business" with something, the fun soon departs. I do projects like this for fun, and because it's cool to have unique stuff. I'm sure that sooner or later you'll be able to get something like it on-line, and I truely doubt that I'm the first guy to think this up. Anyway, right now I'm fabricating custom bags. And then, who knows?

I bought the tanks from Cabela's, but have since found them cheaper on-line. Check out Cabela's, Montana Jack's ATV Store or Off-road (http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/...oneer_outdoor/ ) for more info.

Have fun with your winch!

Old 01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

ZRT, I bought one of these:Warn U2500 winch

And this is all that was included with the winch:Winch parts

It seems like this guy also bought a winch from ebaY, and got stuck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Doc, I hear you about the "no fun" aspect as soon as you do anything for money.... I still think it is an awsome design. Don't discount your enginuity, someone might copy your design down the road but I have yet to ever see anything like it up to now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

You won't need the solenoid to make it work, you can use that grey switch. But you won't have the power of the #2500 without the contactor ...BIll

Old 01-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

So what does a contactor do?

Old 01-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

I am not sure but it must boost the power some how .. They are getting about $150 for the upgrade kit for the #2000 and it has a new switch a bracket , contactor and some wire .. I have 2 new in boxes warn winches 1 is a #2000 the other is a #2500 . The #2500 has a contactor and the #2000 does not ..Bill

Old 01-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

A solenoid is any electro-magnetic device with a coil and an iron actuator. When an electric current is applied to the windings of the coil, it creates a magnetic field which moves the iron actuator. Solenoids are typically linear or rotary.

In the automotive field, a solenoid is as above, with the inclusion of high-current contacts that can be closed by the movement of the actuator. Apply a current to the coil, the actuator moves into a position where the contact is closed. Remove the current, the solenoid is de-energized and opens the contacts (disconnects load). The solenoid in this application simply connects the battery to the switch.

Since a solenoid is either open or closed, changing the direction of current (and thus direction of winch motor rotation) is not possible with a single solenoid. Two solutions: 1) add an external high-current switch (the big gray switch) that can change (reverse) the polarity of the current from the switch to the winch motor, or 2) get rid of the solenoid/big switch combo and get a contactor and a low current switch.

Simply put, a contactor is like the automotive solenoid but adds more electrical contacts, or think of it as two or more solenoids in one package. There are many configurations. Nevertheless, the contactor still needs a low current signal to energize a coil to move an actuator so that it can close the right contacts to make the correct connections between the battery and the motor.

In any case, from an electrical standpoint (assuming all high current cables and contacts are properly rated for the motor loads), there is absolutely no difference in winch operation or performance if you use a solenoid and big switch vs. a contactor and small switch. Remember, all these components are doing is connecting and disconnecting the battery to the motor! These parts are handy for us, as it permits us to keep everything connected, and to "remotely" control the motor by pressing a button (switch).

Old 01-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I ordered a solenoid, and got Warn to email me the wiring diagram.

Now I just got to go and buy some wire, eyelets, and plastic end caps and I will be in business....

Old 01-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Oops, I forgot to mention one more thing...

ZRT is correct in describing the Warn model numbers. The A2000 has solenoid/big switch, and the A2500 has contactor/small switch. But the winch assembly (motor and gears) are the same, so the performance will be the same (sorry, no boost!).

Old 01-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I totaly understand what you said . So how do they get the extra #500 out of the winch with a contactor ?? Must be BS...on Warns part ???? ...BIll

Quick Reply: Warn 2500 installation question