Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Warn 2500 installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 2500 installation question

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Just installed my Warn 2500 winch on a 01 300AC. It did not come with a solenid!

Do I need one?
If yes where do I buy it from (on line preferred, there are no ATV dealers near me)?
Do regular motor cycle stores carry it?
What kind of selonid do I need?

My switch did not come with any "U" bolt either. Is my kit just missing these parts?

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

No winch experts out there?

Old 01-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Rocket,

Yes, you need a solenoid. The solenoid is a high-current relay that transfers high-current from the battery to the winch motor. The high current will be carried on the heavy gauge (thick) cables. The winch motor is a DC (direct current) motor, which means that the direction of motor shaft rotation is dependent upon the polarity of the current to the motor windings.

The winch switch, whether handlebar or remote mounted, controls the solenoid by sending low current signals to the coil of the solenoid. Depending upon which switch is activiated (cable in or cable out), the solenoid is energized closing the proper relay contacts to provide the correct polarity (either positive or negative) current to the motor to make the motor rotate to wind the cable in or let it out.

As far as switch mounting hardware goes, I'd check the parts list or contact Warn. If you got this as a "kit" with the purchase of the Cat, I'd go back to the dealer and let them know some parts were missing. If you got this kit from the guy down the street, then I guess you're on your own.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot Doc.

Wow I can't believe it, there is some one else from East Bay on this forum...

I bought the Winch from ebaY. It looks like the twist switch should be mounted on the end of the winch itself (from the diagram).

There are no wiring diagrams on the instructions. Since there were not enough wires in the kit, does anyone have a wiring diagram (or can draw one for me), so I can put together the wires needed to add the solenoid and wire up my winch?

Thanks in advance.

BTW Doc, where do you ride?

Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Rocket,

I'd kind of be surprised if anything other than wires and the winch cable would be coming out of the winch body. I'm certain that I would not want to have to reach around down there to activate the darn thing (other than free-spool). I got the "kit" with my Cat and installed it myself. Besides the mounting plate and hardware, the kit provided a handlebar mounted switch on end of cable harness, the high-current cables from batter to solenoid to winch, and a solenoid that mounts to the rear of battery box.

Three things I don't like: 1) the winch is mounted very low, so you better have the hook end up high before you get stuck, or you might not be able to get to it (depending on what you're stuck in), 2) the handlebar mounted switch is "hot" whenever the key is on (and sometimes I push it by accident), and 3) the switch harness is connected to the Igntition circuit, without a separate fuse. Items 2 & 3 will be corrected in the near future.

I recommend calling Warn and let them know what you have. My guess is that they have someone who can give you application specific part numbers to complete your kit. I'm sure you can get a winch solenoid at a 4-wheel truck parts place, but it might be bigger than you need. When you get your parts, drop me a line on my e-mail address if you need help wiring it up.

Anyway, been to the National Forest (Rubicon in Eldorado, Stonyford in Mendocino, Coulterville in Stanislaus) and on BLM land (Clear Creek and Knoxville) and to Carnegie. I'm ready for the rain to stop.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Rocket,

Check this out: http://www.warn.com/warn.nsf/Images/importantnotice.pdf/$File/importantnotice.pdf

Maybe you have this kind of large rotary "control" switch? If so, here is your wiring diagram.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

Doc,

Thanks again for all the good advice.

I will be sure to clip my hook on front rack to address the low mount issue (#1).

I have the large "twist switch" which is supposed to be mounted to front rack, so I will not have your #2 problem.

Once I get a diagram on the wiring I will take your advice and modify it by adding a fuse to it also.

I just saw the pics of your AC, NICE! I love what you did with the racks, did you modify them yourself? It looks like you can take the water/fuel cells out independant of what is on your racks.

Where do you buy parts/upgrades for your AC. There are no dealerships around here.

Next time you go on one of your "fun" runs give me a call, I would love to ride with you guys.

How far (miles) are those places you mentioned from the East Bay? Do you ride for the day and come back, or do you camp out there for the night?

Anyway, sounds like you have a blast with your AC.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DirtDoc
Rocket,

Check this out: http://www.warn.com/warn.nsf/Images/importantnotice.pdf/$File/importantnotice.pdf

Maybe you have this kind of large rotary "control" switch? If so, here is your wiring diagram.
Doc you ROCK, this is exactly what I needed.... you DA MAN.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, thanks. I chopped and welded the racks myself. Needed something to do with all this rain. Didn't want to mess with the gear on the racks all the time, so now the tanks just slip in and out.

Seems like everything is at least 2.5 hours away from me, except Carnegie (ESE of Livermore) and Frank Raines OHV Park (even more South), both day-use only. Since the hunting areas are far away, my hunting buddy and I usually spend the night out. Had the Cat on the snow up near Lake Tahoe - what a blast! I'll let you know next time I go out.

D

Old 01-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Have you ever though of selling your custom designs racks?

Where did you buy your water and fuel tank?

Quick Reply: Warn 2500 installation question