Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

wiLL THE 500I MANUAL OUT MUD THE...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiLL THE 500I MANUAL OUT MUD THE...

Will the 500i 5 speed out mud and out pull the rubicon,foreman and kodiak

Will the 400i 5 speed out mud out pull the rubicon kodiak and foreman

HONESTLY!!!

Old 02-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the 500I can take all of them

doubt the 400 will outpull them, but it should outmud them. All stock or all with equal tires that is. Tires and ground clearance are the key. Of course a little added power doesn't hurt

Old 02-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the 500 will out do all of the above with the closest being the 450 Kodiak with the diff lock. The 400 will out pull all of the others as well but just a little closer on the 450 Kodiak. I have had a 500 and a 450 Kodiak they both are great pullers and mudders but the ground clearence makes the difference. The Cats are great in the pulls hooked to a sled and weighted down to 1050 lbs, the 450 Kodiak does very well too since you are able to move the weight around more to get it where you want it. The Hondas just power out in the pulls when wheighted down they are geared a little high for that.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yes. In your comparison it would be because of the GC advantage of the Cat.

SilverBear

Old 02-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

When you talk about Ground clearance, With a 400i auto and a 400 ACT manual, which would outmud the other?They are both stock. Would the limited slip affect anything. Its about 1 1/2 feet deep of mud.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Mountainclimber~

I would say the 400I would outmud the 400ACT due to ground clearance. Both are limited slip front ends, so no advantage there for one or the other.

SilverBear

Old 02-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

How much advantage is there?

Old 02-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Mountainclimber~

<g> Well...I suppose that could be a subject for great debate depending on the type of mud/consistancy/depth/etc. Personally, though, I would always take any machine with a fully independent suspension over one with a semi. For me...the difference is substantial.

SilverBear

Old 02-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would say that the clearance factor has more to do with it than anything. Even with the Kodiak's locking differential thrown in, if it high centers good, the traction isn't going to help at all. Its just going to dig ruts.

On the pulling debate, I don't know if I would go as far to put the 376 engine up against a Rubicon or a 450 Kodiak for that matter. In all reality, its a good engine, but still closer to a 350 than a 450 or 500. The 500 AC wins all here, but I can't go with the AC 400 in a pulling contest. The Cat has some weight advantage also, but I don't know if it will make up for the cc's plus the locker on the Yamaha.

For mudding purposes, the Independant models have the distinct advantage. Ground clearance, then traction, then power. It was amazing how much better my old AC 500 did in the mud after being lifted. Just a couple inches, but a couple inches does go a long ways in some situations. The rear of an ACT arctic cat is about 8" off the ground at best at the rear differential. I've measured my brother in law's 500i and its about a good 12" all the way down.

Throw some good mud tires on any of these bikes and leave the others stock and the tires would be enough to make the difference also. I'll take the Kodiak with 27" Claws over the stock AC or any other combination as well.

Old 02-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I witnessed the rubicon with 27s laws and 2 inch highlifter the Arctic cat 2002 500i with 27 inch vamps, a grizzly 600 with lift and laws and a foreman with lift and laws go at it the other day. I must say they went at it. The Cat "not being bias" stomped them into the ground. The grizzly and formen was the closet match to it, the others not even close to say it was any comp! The rubicon sank as quick as it entered. The cat never stopped clawing. It also had the honors of oulling the grizz and foreman out. But everytime one got stuck we would analze the reason. The biggest factor in the grizz was the ground clearance the foreman just lacking momentum, the rubicon was the weight problem. next we went to climbing part. The cat and the grizz won this with the grizz having slightly a bit more speed and tearing its way up the hill. the cat had to down shift to keep its momentum going and when it did it slang all fours straight up finishing in a slight airborne finish. The foreman bogged and managed to make it along with the rubicon. If i were a betting man I would plave my money on the CAT any day.
Also the foreman did when the water part of the test. It was able to take on a little more water than the cat and the grizz and the rubicon. But all the rest went snd 3rd and 4th meaning the foreman went first digging the rut in the water and by the time the others got in it,it was 6 inches deeper. The grizz got wet!! It took a little while for it to dry up,belt slipped. But all the bikes are proven them to be great. Honda for its durability is a true winner in my heart. ihave always been a Honda man but wanted to go different. I will be picking my new 500i manual up monday the 24th! Its just to bad not to own one.

Quick Reply: wiLL THE 500I MANUAL OUT MUD THE...