Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Broken CV 500i

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken CV 500i

Originally posted by: Cat500i
28X12.50 Outlaws on the rear and 28X10.50 Vamp EDL's on the front. Lift kit. I noticed yesterday that I didn't break the CV. It was the half shaft. The inner CV is still intact, except for the boot. I rode all day at Longview (Fun wheeler) rack deep mud and everything. My buddy broke the belt on his Grizz660 and I was pulling him out of the swamp. Got sideways on a stump and bam!! Broke the shaft in half. I still don't know how to pull apart the inside piece. It's eight pressed in or I will have to take apart the rear diff. Anybody know?
HEY I RODE WITH YOU GUYS SAT. EVENING I WAS ON THE GREEN CAT WITH THE BIG SWAMPERS I BROKE MY AXLE LIKE THAT TOO YOU GOT TO TAKE THE LIFT OFF OR ITS GONA KEEP BRAKING ANYWAY ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PULL YOUR CV OUT THERE IS A LITTLE CIRCLE CLIP ON THE INSIDE OF THE CV GET A CROW BAR 0R SOMETHING TO PRIY IT OUT THE ENITRE CV ASSYLEMBY DONT WORRY ABOUT DENTING THE DUST GUARD THAT IS NEXT TO THE DIFF.
ANY ? OR JUST WANT TO CONVERSATE AGAIN CALL ME 903-660-3960

SHANNON FERGUSON
LONGVIEW TX

PS DID YOU GET THE DRAIN **** PLUGED OFF ON YOUR CARB.
DID IT WORK?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

hey like the name. so how long have you rode yours without the lift. so the problem goes away without a lift, that is what i am thinking. i have another question. i talked to the dealer today and he told me what they have to do is first take the broken axal off and replace it with the new one. then they have to file it on the warranty. should find out in about 3 days if warranty will cover it. if so no bill if not then they will send me a bill. now they also told me i could pick up the bike while i weight to see if the warranty will cover it our not. i use to work at a dealership and i have never hurd of such. i would think you could find out before they did anything to it if the warranty would cover it or not. i know i have to fix it put if i was going to have to pay for it i was going to get gorrilla joints put in

Old 03-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

I just paid the $210 for the new axle at the dealer. Looks like it will go in pretty easy. I'm going to try another ride with the lift on and see what happens. Shannon-you were right about the carb drain. I took the carb off to clean it, it was full of mud again. The drain plug screw does not affect that part of the carb. I used a vaccum cap (from Autozone) to block it off. I also got a set of wheel spacers in today from High Lifter. I'm going to put them on the front. We'll be at FWheeler next weekend for the St Pat ride. Bringing the wife and kids this time. Maybe we'll see ya out there.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

hey thats the same thing i use on my carb drain. so all in all how would you rate yalls cats comparied to other bikes out there as far as mud riding ability. has not haveing a locker been a problem yet. i am a serious mud rider and have not got enough rides under the belt with the new cat. i am comming off a polaris.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Broken CV 500i

Originally posted by: maximus
hey thats the same thing i use on my carb drain. so all in all how would you rate yalls cats comparied to other bikes out there as far as mud riding ability. has not haveing a locker been a problem yet. i am a serious mud rider and have not got enough rides under the belt with the new cat. i am comming off a polaris.
I HAVE HAD A LOT OF DIFFERENT ATVS,FOR PURE MUD RIDDING AND DEEP WATER RIDING THE ARCTIC CAT IS FAR MORE GRANDER THEN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN INCLUDING THE POLARIS 700. AS FAR AS THE LIMITED SLIP FRONT DIFF. I LIKE IT, OH DONT GET ME WRONG TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE IS NICE WHEN YOU DONT BRAKE IT BUT ANYWAY WHEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SET UP YOU CAN DARE A POLARIS TO FOLLOW NO MATTER WHAT THEY HAVE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

reply to maximus--can't beat a polaris with 4wheel drive and tons of ground clearance. I ride with a Grizz660 with the same tires and they are about the same. I have the ground clearance advantage, but he has the locker advantage. If I wanted the biggest, baddest thing out there, it would be a 700 twin with 28X12.50 Outlaws all the way around. They make some CV axles for the front of a Polaris now that are guaranty'd for life. I would not try to follow a 700 through some of the deepest holes. That is only because my last ride was a 500HO. I've had 2 450ES's, a Grizz600, Big bear 350, 500 HO, and now a Cat500i.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

Catt 500i

What are you saying. Others cant hang with the cat 500i or they can.

How would you rate your bike against the 660 grizz. We do serious mud bogging when we go
I want to know which one takes the cake

Old 03-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

yea it sounds like he is saying it will not hang with the 700 that is lifted with 28 laws. i to am coming off a polaris. i had a sportsman 500 and a jacked up sportsman 400 2 stroke. i hope i made the right choice. i guess i will have to make due. one good thing i guess is i should not have to go back in forth to the shop as much.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Broken CV 500i

I'm saying the Cat will not hang with a big jacked up Polaris. I don't know of anything that will. As far as the Grizz660 goes, I wouldn't buy one. The reliability seems worse than Polaris so far. The grizz has alot more hp than the Cat, otherwise there about the same.