Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

should cat make their own engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should cat make their own engines?

I THINK that cat should start making their own engines now and use the suzuki's for a couple more years and after they perfected it they can put their own engines out, i just think that they would be better off and be on top, they already make an amazing quad but the engines are nothing compared to the competition, like the Polaris 500 HO and so on

Old 03-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I think that cat is making a bulletproof utility quad that works and plays hard with no problems.Although my old man bought a 2002 500 and that is a powerfull quad unlick any utility 500 I ever rode.Not the fastest,53mph,but will hill climb,mud,or pull anything in any gear you want to.Anyone else feal this way about cats?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2003, 12:42 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I just can't see that happening.

The investment required?

Chet

Old 03-04-2003, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

It would be nice if AC could be free of Suzuki, but they have way too much interest in AC.

Chet's right, too much investment.

Besides, it frees up time to work on other aspects of the quad/snowmobile designs in house...i.e. suspension, ergonomics, drivetrain, etc...

I would like to see AC have a little more freedom to do a bit of tweaking to the Suzuki motors...to set them apart...know what I mean???!!!!

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the Suzuki motor...

Old 03-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

Suzuki is making the engines to Cat specs now. In the snowmobile side Cat designs them and Suzuki builds them. I'm not sure if all the design for the quads is done by Cat or not, but I suspect it is the same as the snowmobile side of the house.

-jeff b.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

now there will be 3 quads running around with the same motor...........

next thing you know suzuki will give the motor to a
golfcart dealer so they can use it too...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

REVer,

I agree and I really think any company that makes an engine powered vehicle without making the engine is well, sort of a marketing company rather than a real manufacturer.

Bob

Old 03-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

YOU SAID IT BARTO200

You cannot take a suzuki motor and place it in the AC. It just will not happen
suzuki gives the specs and ac builds them. vice versa with the sonwmobiles. AC can only tweak so much. If they did more it would not be suzuki specs therfor not a suzuki engine.
In a nutt shell its just a name stamped on metal
Kinda like international in ford
cummins in dodge

Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

You guys had better get over it! All the companies are looking at cost. We seem to be the atv nation. They're all going to be selling equipment to us and we're prime to buy. Did you see in the paper, all the auto companies are poised to build assembly plants in China? And we thought they couldn't afford them. All this means, you're gonna get a mix of parts from every dealer that can make it for less cost. No more "ONE MANUFACTURER". The banks own us now... Sorry, that's the way it is! AC and Suzuki, have a good working relationship. Why should they give up now? You may be working for Suzuki in the near future. Better get your stuff together...
Chuck
PS. Don't get mad at me...

Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Suzuki owns over 30% of AC, and have the rights to anything Cat developes. AC designed the 454 engine then increased it to a 500 in 98 when Suzuki started using it in the Quadrunner. It is a good working relationship that works.

Quick Reply: should cat make their own engines?