Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Another locker option for the 500i

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another locker option for the 500i

I pulled out my front diff. yesterday and this is just a basic diff with spider gears and a clutch pack at each end. The rear diff. (spool) can be purchased from brownsleisureworld and placed in the front diff for less than $110.00 US funds. You can keep your factory 1 wheel turning front diff and put it back in during the dry or non mudding season.

The hardest thing in pulling the front end out is popping out the CV shafts unless you have a slide hammer puller. I had my front diff out and on the bench in about 15 minutes. The spool is no different than a Howie locker to steer and about $300.00 cheaper, not to mention easier to put back to stock by dropping back in your factory diff .

OR -You can easily get to the spider gears with a welder if you want to lock it for about $1.00 worth of mig wire.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Good info, ODB. Is this a verified mod? Or are we just wingin' the idea that it will work? I like the price.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

Dave- They both are 34 tooth ring gears and the housings are identical. I will pull the back down tomorrow to confirm this if no one can help.

Old 03-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got lots of time on your hands ODB! Thanks for the research! This is definately a mod I will try!

Old 03-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

Not a lot of time Dave, just can't stand riding a handicapped bike (3wd). We are so close to having the complete package. Clearance, power, but no locker.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

ODB--Let me know when you get this rolling I want to know how it works out. It sounds great.

The easiest way I found to get the CV's to pop out of the diff is to use a large crescent wrench. Put the Main nut back on the end of the shaft (the one with the carter pin) and close the crescent wrench down behind it on the shaft. Use a hammer and just tap on the wrench. It worked great on the 2 REAR CV'S I HAD TO REPLACE BECAUSE OF THE DAM LIFT KIT!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

So you are saying you can take the rear diff and put it on the front?

If you are talking about splitting open the front diff "Inner Housing" I was told you cant

This was done for the 02 and 03s so it would keep cost down.

i.e Old models you break a spider, take it to the shop they bill AC for 400 dollars

Now when you break something up front you get a new diff, saves money!!!

So what im saying is you cannot split open the inner housing"its welded and its aluminum

But is you can place a rear diff in the front on 03 models I am there.. Please let me know

Old 03-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

My Father in Law locked his honda up, with 6 pennies

It is no longer a spider up front its a cluth with a spring waser and every other notch is different size which allows the clutch to slide out of the deep notches and into the little notches to slipp, so he took 6 pennies and wedged them into the spring behind the washer, to keep tension on it and the clutch is stuck in the deep notches and it is now locked up front!!! 6 PENNIES IS ALL IT TOOK

Old 03-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Ck- Is this the Honda that kept tearing you up in the holes?? We can't stand for that. Lock that baby up!!

Weld it if you have to.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes this is the one, but Afte I outdone him last SAt he had to do it he said. But dont worry I have the break locker deal working just fine.

You should really try it you would be amazed

If the right tire spinns and you need the left to spin,all you have to do is grabb you right brake and out you come. And you get to enjoy the luxury of you limited slip steering
Best of Both worlds

Cost you about 80.00 dollars, takes you about 15 minutes to install

Quick Reply: Another locker option for the 500i