Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Question on tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on tires

Anything really thats 12inches will fit your rim... for ex, 25x10x12 25=tire height, 10=tire width, 12=rim size. Pretty much anything with a 12 as the last number will fit on your rim. Of course the other 2 numbers are a factor due to rubbing etc.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

While you guys are on the topic of tires for the ac 250/300, I have a question. I say in another post a guy claiming to have a locked diff, 4x4, ac300 with 26 inch tires "all around". I will past my reply to him, but I wanna here your guys opinions on this. Baasically I said with the difference in front and rear tires sizes the gear for the bike has been set up accordingle, and when one replaces their stock tires they must keep this in mind and buy proportional tires for those gearing rations. I have definetely been wrong before, so I wanna poll you guys and see what ya think.

Here is a copy of my reply (it is under the "300 4x4 tires")

Racnooc, I have a question. How can you run 26s front and rear with a locked differential? The bike is set up gearing wise with a difference in front and rear tire diameter. If you neglect this wouldnt your front be spinning faster? Since your diff is locked, I am thinking your front and rears wouldnt spin at the same time. With an unlocked diff you will overwork the diff and have lots of wasted power (so my logic is telling me). If you have accidentely represented that your 4x4 has the same size tires all around then thats one thing, by if you actually do I am curious as to weather it is working properly. Does anyone else follow my logic on this? I could be wrong.

Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Smoke
While you guys are on the topic of tires for the ac 250/300, I have a question. I say in another post a guy claiming to have a locked diff, 4x4, ac300 with 26 inch tires "all around". I will past my reply to him, but I wanna here your guys opinions on this. Baasically I said with the difference in front and rear tires sizes the gear for the bike has been set up accordingle, and when one replaces their stock tires they must keep this in mind and buy proportional tires for those gearing rations. I have definetely been wrong before, so I wanna poll you guys and see what ya think.
Thats a good question. Id like to know myself. Im going to changing from 25x10x12 on all 4s. To 27x10(or 9 i cant remember)x12 front and 27x12x12 rear. What in general will this affect? Thanks for looking as always.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Vewdew, your machine comes factory with the same size rubber all around (In other words the gearing ration for the front and rear is the same). What I was speaking to aplies explicitly to the ac 250/300 models and actually only the 4wd models. I am not an arctic cat atv historian but if I do recall the only machines with different sizes are the 25/300s all other machines have the same size rubber all around, but different rims with "dishes". So you cannot rotate tires without taking them off the rim. Do you follow my logic though? If the machine comes factory with different tires sizes front and back why would you put the same size "all around".

Check out the other post under 300 4x4 Tire options and read what guys are replying with. They are saying they knew that the machine SHOULD have proportionally different tires front and back but for waht ever reason (I see no benefit to neglect this) they run the same size all around and change the air pressure in the back. No offense but I dont think that is good logic. My point is not to make fun of someone elses ride, but my point is when someone replies to a post they shoudl be knowledgable and not be giving fictious information. Unless someone can prove me wrong I see no advantage to switching to the same size tire all around. The bike is set up for somehting different and unless you wanna get in there and change gearing I truely belive you need to keep those tires proportionally different.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

This is a good question. I would like to know if changing to the same size tire on AC250/300 bikes would cause any problems. To me the best thing to do on these bikes is go 1" bigger all around. For me, that would mean going to a 26*12*12 on the back and 25*10*12 on the front. Any bigger and it seems that there would be too much power loss.
The other solution is to go with the same size tires, but more agressive. That is a problem because the Titan 589's and other mud tires are not made in 24*9*12, the size of the front tires on an AC300. Does anyone know of any good tires other than Titan 489's in this size?
I am also going to do the front diff mod. to lock it in the spring, once the snow is gone. My friend has a Suzuki 250 4wd with the locking diff, he can make it through mud holes I have to winch out of. His bike has real wide rear tires, which seem to make it float, similar to what Range Rover is saying.

Old 03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

Is the diff locking linkage you guys are using sold on aftermarket or do you have to make one yourself?I want one for my 250,Where can I buy one.If you are looking for a cheap not so fancy one I used a brake linkage part of from an old motorcycle and bolted it to the diff selector shaft,it was cheap(free)and works good but you have to stop and get off to select a different setting.Hoping to upgrade a little.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen several people run the same size tire front and rear on quads that are setup with different factory sizes. (Honda 300, AC300).

They simply run more air in the rear tires to make up the difference. 1" difference is not much to start with. Run 5psi front and 15 psi rear. Or you can just simply take a tape measure and adjust psi until they are the same height. It takes all the worry out of trying to find different size tires with the same tread pattern, etc.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Smoke what is the fictious information that i gave?

Old 03-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

If your not ridin on pavement it seems like the small diff in overall circumference of the tire wouldn't really matter. Most wheelers spin tires constantly while ridin down the trail.

Makes you wonder if the manufacturers just do it to irritate us?

Old 03-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

The fact remains the gears are set up for differnt sized tires. Why would you mess with that? Yes, Cat500i there is a certain amount of wheel spin while trail riding, but with the situation I have outlined in prevous posts your bike will be constantly fighting itself, and all 4 tires will not be working together. That is the point of four-wheel drive. Your tires breaking loose and "spinning" is not a desired effect in most all cases (maybe soem mud runnin). My question remains, What are the advantages to switching the ac 250/300 over to tire ratios other than those designed for the machine? I given you reasons why it is silly to run the same tire "all around", and you have not come back at me with anything but excuses.

Not picking a fight here just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Question on tires