Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ordered redline oil for the front diff today

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordered redline oil for the front diff today

well going to give this oil a try in the front diff to maybe help it where it will not slip as much. i think it is worth a try its only like 8 bucks.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

Maximus, please keep us posted as to the differance. I am planning on trying it as well. I did a test the other day by putting three wheels on axel stands and then as the bike is in gear and spinning the 3 air borne tires I took my boot and put a little pressure on the side wall of the free spinning front tire to slow it down, it does not take much pressure to get the other wheel to start to turn. The other thing I did was to have all four spinning on stands and then try to stop or slow down one of the front wheels, I was told that the pressure to do this is the amount of pressure it takes to make one of the clutches spin. You could do the same test before and after the fluid change. If the fluid is working better it will be harder to get one front wheel to stop spinnning as the clutch won't slip as easy.

Cheers Jim

Old 04-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

How much pressure did it take to stop the wheel? Did it seem like alot or fairly easy?

Old 04-03-2003, 09:16 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

You can stop it easily. Last night I liftedthefront end and started spinning one tire andofcoursethey both spin, but if you put your hand on one tire and with your other hand spin the other whell there is alittleeffort required but I do mean a little only. The only thing I found of interest is that while holding one tire from moving and spinning the other tire, just as itwould stop it wouldgive a little shudder to the non rotating tire almost as if there might have been a clutch slipping. This shudder would notbe present if this was truly an open diff as the only rolling resistance would be spinning the spider gears.

Jim