Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Abnormal Automatic Transmission Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal Automatic Transmission Noise?

Hi, I have a 2002 375 auto 2x4 and the trans makes one hell of a racket when I give it the gas.. Are the automatic transmission supposed to be noisey??? When I do some mild hill climbing it seems to loose some of it's pulling power and the trans sounds like it's gonna blow up. I took the trans cover off and the belt and pullies all looked good and clean. All the screws and bolts seemed good and tight. This might sound stupid but it sounds like it makes a barking type noise. Any advise would sure be appreciated! Thanks everyone.........

Old 04-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Hi Flat, i have a 2001 500 auto and it started making those same sounds last year. i took the cover off mine and looked at all the bolts and cleaned it out and couldnt find anything obviously wrong. i had to take it back to the dealer because the noise kept getting louder and i kept loosing power. what happend was that on the back pully in behinde it there is a nut and it wasnt tourqued right from the factory and it was backing off. when it did that it pretty mch tore up all the slpines inside the rear cluth. needless to say it was an expensive fix. i would take it in and have your dealer look it over. the barking sound is the belt slipping on the pully, mine made that same sound.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

racnooc, many thanks for the reply! After reading your reply I called the dealer and explained to him what was happening with the bike and the sounds it was making. He said that there has been quite a few bikes comming in with that problem. The service dept was gonna get right on it and I should have the bike back by Wednesday. I think Arctic Cat should ckeck into their quality control dept and tell them to shorten their coffee breaks and start checking these machines. Lucky I have the extended warranty... Only cost to me will be $25.00.... racnooc , thank you , your reply got the machine the medical attention it needed quickly......
Thanks again , FlatTire

Old 04-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

That is cool you got the extended warrenty. i did not have the warrenty much to my financial pain [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] my bike was only the seconnd one the dealer had seen with that problem. i hope they can get it back to you soon and good luck to you.

Old 04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know if I'm suffering from the same problem as this. In neutral, everything seems fine, but when I put it in gear and take off, I've developed a knocking or pinging noise. I wouldn't describe it as a barking noise, but it definitely has lost power. Did either of yours make the noise in neutral? How about in low or reverse? I'm at my wits end and out of warranty.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Mine sounded ok in neutral but when i put it in gear high/low/reverse, is when the noise started. mine didnt bark so much as sound like it had a knocking sound. the guy at the dealer thought it was a bad crank and rod bearing when i first told him about it. but there was definitly a loss of power. i hate to say it but taking it to the dealer would be your best bet. this is begining to sound like a trend.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. The nut that you mentioned that was backing off. Is it right behind the back pulley or deeper into the transmission? According to the service manual, there isn't a nut right behind that pulley. Racnoc or FlatTire, is all they do to fix it is torque the nut to specifications?

Old 04-23-2003, 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

tater0519, That nut that needs tightening is inside the trans case and it will need to go into the shop unless you have the knowledge and tools to do the job. racnooc turned me onto the problem with my machine. After the nut was torqued properly the noise was gone and power returned. I think that Arctic Cat should look into this problem real soon and do something about it even if your 6 month warranty is over.. It sounds like the problem started from the factory! Get that nut torqued and let us know how it works for you...
FlatTire

Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

FlatTire or racnooc, with this problem, did your atv make the knocking or barking sound while in neutral? If mine does it in neutral, low, or reverse, it's not near as severe as when it's in high. Is there any sure way to test that this is the problem before I put it in the shop? Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be as sure as I can before I take it in for repair.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, take a look at this.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Pa...ONASSEMBLY.htm

Do you think the nut, listed as #15, the one we're talking about? FlatTire, please e-mail me at tater0519@hotmail.com the name and number of the service tech that worked on yours. I'm from Arkansas also and would like to talk with him. See if he thinks Arctic Cat would cover this, I'm less than 2 months out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Abnormal Automatic Transmission Noise?