Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500 cat vs. 660 grizz

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 cat vs. 660 grizz

can a 2003 arcticcat 500 pull a grizzly 660

Old 04-19-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

i was out on wed with my freind and he has a 660 griz 2002 with 27" bear claws 10s on the front and 12s out back with k&nair filterkit and t4 muffler and that thing has more power than mine and is lighter but in the mud i did everything he did and on the trails also. he was doing cat walks and jumps like nothing were as i cant get my front end to come up as easy as him that thing pulls the wheels like nothing. my opinion is the griz is faster lighter more expensive by $2000 canadian and also has a locking front diff and is easyer to handle but no beter at mud bogging trail rideing or hill climbing but if you can afford one there nice. but so is my cat and it still has more ground cleerance than the grizz and the paint dont scratch off my cat like the silver grizzlys do.

Old 04-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with a grizz too,and its a tough quad. i have found that the power it has puts him to the bottom a whole lot quicker than mine. meaning we he gasses on it it slings the sh#t out of the tires setting him down on his skid plates. he has to get off and give it a little push to get it back on top and going. As far a hills and such he gets there quicker but no more better than me. But I have a locker on mine too. The bigg question should be can you keep the 660 grizz out of the shop?

Old 04-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've managed to.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Andy

yes i know of some that has managed aswell,but conditions are different and never the same. The matching middle drive gear in the grizz has been the problem for a few. it seems that the factory set position of the to two gears have not been set deep enough and causes them to wear rather quickly. This is the part im talking about copy and paste this it part number 5 on the diagrahm http://216.37.204.202/yamaha_oem/Yam...=13&A=213&B=20

Old 04-19-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'd agree with mudblaster - the Grizz is quicker, but not more capable. I looked long and hard at a Grizzly last summer before getting the 500i. Grizz is definitely more sporty - front end is lighter, whole quad is lighter. Accelerates better, turns in quicker, though some of that could have been tires - my Cat still has stockers which are a bit mushy.

What put me off the grizz was the prices I was given - best Grizz price was still $1200 more than the 500i. It was nicer, but not $1200 nicer. At least, it wasn't for me. I understand the Yamaha dealers are being a little less hardline on price than they were last summer, so you may be able to do better.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Funny, I paid $200 more for my Grizz 4 weeks into production than my Brother in Law paid for his 500i last fall. $6400 compared to $6200. Not much of difference in the long run. Your yamaha dealers there must suck. (most do)

More capable can be determined by a lot of factors. For every time you factor in one thing, you factor out another. I noticed that the 500i even with the preloads set up tight squats down a LOT on the trail. More so than the 660 does. Granted, I love the 500i, but would not trade for one until they add some features. The sheer acceleration of the 660 is enough, but the differential lock is the main one-up the Yamaha has. CatKrazy has that solved, but of course he can't unlock at the push of a button either.

The only thing I don't like about the Grizzly is the damn belt drive, and I don't like that on any quad. Why everyone else had to try and make a better Polaris is beyond me. Only Honda figured it out.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Andy

Maybe its because mine is new with only 89 miles on it,but i actually had to loosen the tension on the shocks because it didnt give an inch. makes for extremly rough ridding. This one one feature that the honda owners liked because it didnt squat. but like i said it may be cause its new. I do know that with the preload at factory setting is very loose and make for dangerous ridding conditions,so I set mine at the 3 notch out of 5.

ALso I bought my cat last month and piad 5700 w tax and all. but this is my 2nd cat to buy from them.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I do have to give the Grizz a thumbs up for the electronic unlocker and locker. hats is the best feature known to off roaders. i cant unlock mine with just a push of the button, but give me about 30 minutes and i cna unlock her. I know it still does not compare to the grizz but i cna enjoy a good trail ride.

Old 04-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You live in Marion right? Where did you get it at? I live over near Ft. Smith and drove to Jonesboro to get my Grizzly. Everyone on this side of the state wanted MSRP or more for the Grizz (of course this was the first of July 2001 right after it came out too).

We bought my Brother in Law's 500i in Conway. My cousin is going to get one eventually, and I need to find the best price. Doesn't matter if I have to drive a ways either. Marion is over near Memphis correct? Thats not much farther than a drive to Jonesboro anyway. When we got the one for my Brother in Law, we had a place in Harrison quote $5750, but that guy was just jerking us around. Waited for 2 months for them to get in a manual shift, and then I think that dude quit, and we never got the deal.

On his suspension squat, it wasn't like it squats just on flat ground. When I noticed it, I was following him up out of this rocky place where all the weight was directed to the rear. I would imagine any IRS quad is going to squat in that type of place. Mine probably did too, but I would have had to have been behind it to see. Mine squats more if I have the anti-sway bar off though I'm sure, and I have it off 90% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 500i is the best chassis design out there. Wish I could put my engine and differential in it and keep its transmission.

Quick Reply: 500 cat vs. 660 grizz