Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

is the 90 to big for a 5 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the 90 to big for a 5 year old?

I missed the part about the boy not being able to reach the floorboards. I fully agree that the rider (of any size) MUST be able to reach and operate all the controls AND reach the floorboards with room to spare (as in the 3" mentioned). My youngest boy had to wait a year before I'd allow him on our sportsman 90 because his hands didn't quite have the reach to use the brakes. I should add that the only child allowed to ride the 90 full speed is my 13 year old. All other's keep it at half or less.

WhoDat, kewl that you're an instructor. I thought about doing this myself but don't think I'd have the time. I do take safety seriously, however and do take the time to drill it into my kids (and anyone I let ride, for that matter). Just last weekend my wife and I were "practicing" the safety exercises she received with her new 300ex down at Tri County. Though I've ridden for a while it was still instructive for me to repeat them (new quad, ya know). Any info on where the classes will be held? I have two 13 year olds waiting to sign up!

Old 05-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Pechmial - watch the DNR web site. There will be a link to the testing oppertunitites. I believe we are waiting for this to become law on July 1. There is no provision for the new CD computer based learning guide and tests or the demonstrated ability section in the current laws. Keep in mind that a 12-16 year old can take the demonstrated ability test on a 250 - and be limited to a 250 size machine. They can't take the test on a 250 and jump on Dads 700 sportsman. They need to demonstrate starting and stopping the machine and riding over minor obsticles both forward and in reverse. Some may not pass.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

What if the Quad doesn't have reverse? My son can ride my Predator 500 and I am certain he would pass on it. My step daughter would be riding a 300ex and would have to practice some, but would probably also pass. This is not to say I suspect the testing to be easy, just that I am confident in these children's skill levels. My 13 year old has had so much safety and instruction crammed into him that he takes the time to train and instruct his younger siblings.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

When I was 6 - I had a honda ATC90. no problems.. Just the damn bike kept going up my leg when I put my foot down. That's what boots, pants and gear is for. I then moved to an ATC110 when I was 9. Same problem - but the bigger balloon tires were much more painful.. It was on this bike that I learned not to put my damn foot down. When I was 12, I got a CR250.. Holy crap - had tons of power.. I learned I had to put my foot down just to keep the damn thing from killing me. However, the whole time my father ALWAYS rode with me, no matter what. I ALWAYS had the proper riding appareal, or I couldn't ride. Period. And I was taught how to maintain (oil, gas, air cleaner,etc) and respect the machines.

I think without this - I would have ended up hurt or worse, but because of it - my son (9) rides a CR80 very well.

Hats off to those dads who teach their children to respect not only the bike and their body, but the land they ride on too.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Pechmial - The first rule is that the rules are not flexible in the testing. If the ATV doesn't have reverse, then don't bring that ATV for the test. Also - the DNR has ONE ATV that they are willing to loan out for testing. But that’s one unit for the entire State and I'm sure your familiar with how long that one will be running and available. I Figure zero chance to use it.
When I was nine, my father began teaching me to fly airplanes. By eleven I was ready to solo. The lessons learned then are used today in everything I do. Checking my equipment, making a plan, following the plan, having known alternatives in mind and having planned alternates on paper. Emergency procedures, passenger briefings, cockpit management. Being fit, prepared and thorough.
When I turned 40 I took up skydiving. Those lessons learned in flying 30 years earlier were with me when I prepared to exit the Boeing 727 at 14,000 feet and 180 mph.
ATV riding can have a long lasting positive impact on youngsters when they come from a positive example. Unfortunetly the opposite is also true.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Well that seems uneceesarily restrictive. Is the DNR unaware that many of the ATV's that kids will be riding do not have reverse? Quads such as the Blaster and 400ex? Other quads, such as our 300ex have such a complicated reverse proceedure that they might as well NOT have reverse! My fear with their restrictions is that many parents will do what I am now tempted to do, go find someone with a big machine (like a Polaris 700) and loan that for the test. While I would take the time to train my kids on the loaner first, many would not.

And here I was starting to get enthusiastic about this.

Is the only criteria the CC size? Can you take a child in on a Prairie 650, for instance, and providing he fits and passes he is now "legal" to ride a Cannondale? Doesn't the DNR realize the vaste differences in these machines? I just bought the sport machines in our "stable" and have been spending the last few rides "getting to know" them. Basically, I don't assume riding the utility machines taught me much at all (if anything) about riding a sport machine.

Sorry, WhoDat, these aren't really your problems, I just needed to vent a little.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

My 5 year old daughter rides a Polaris Sportsman 90. She weighs 40 and we had to screw a 2X4 to the bottom of it so her feet would touch. She has no problems and we use the restrictor so she can only go 10mph.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

This site has information on the Minnesota DNR safety program.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/atv/index.html

Old 05-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, WhoDat. Unfortunately, that site doesn't mention the "must have reverse" and cc restrictions you brought up earlier. Neither does the cooresponding link to MN State Law. All this site and the other seem to specify is that the rider "fit the machine."

Oh well, I guess I'll find out in July.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

whodat...

.....the pounds per square inch reference of "a grown man of that size standing on your child", as compared to a 240 lb quad resting on your child who should be protected from head to toe with helmet/eyes, rib, boots, gloves, chest/back protection" seems exaggerated for dramatic effect. HOWEVER, a quad that flips and forcefully lands on a 60 lb child could have the same or worse effects. To this degree, I am agreeing with you. MY POint is, as an ATV safety instructor, what I want to hear from you is how I can RIDE safely, because with or without your permission, with or without laws meant to protect, kids are going to ride. And if you tell them not too, they are going to tune you out completely. Please follow your graphic descriptions up with ways for kids to better protect themselves. That I think, kids and adults alike, will listen to. My 2 cents.

on a separate note, very sorry to hear about your injuries. I also endured some bone crushing injuries a little further back and I literally "feel your pain"

Quick Reply: is the 90 to big for a 5 year old?