Yamaha breeze

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha breeze

I can't keep my Yamaha breeze idling. Anyone have ideas?

Old 06-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your Question Has Been Answered By Our Editors

We've got the answer to your question on the ATV Connection homepage, which can be accessed directly by clicking here:

Ask the Editors: Idling a Breeze - ATVConnection.com

Old 06-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVC Correspondent

We've got the answer to your question on the ATV Connection homepage, which can be accessed directly by clicking here:

Ask the Editors: Idling a Breeze - ATVConnection.com
I disagree with most of this contained here.....it is incorrect, sorry.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Quad Patrol

Please do feel free to contribute any personal info that could potentially help the original poster- we do our best to answer questions by calling dealerships, mechanics, reviewing microfiche and OEM parts catalogs but are not the end-all authority by any means.

In this particular instance the starting point of adjusting the throttle stop (as well as the recommended RPM at idle) came directly from the Yamaha Breeze's owner's manual. You can view a scan of the actual page here:
Idle Speed Adjustment - Yamaha BREEZE YFA1P Owner's Manual [Page 112]

The carb from model years 1989-2004 (OEM part # 5VJ-14101-20-00) appears to have only a pair of external adjustment screws:

Our answer is to serve as a starting point to diagnose a rough idle not just on the Breeze but in general. Issues like valve adjustments are always a potential culprit but we generally start by diagnosing the simple explanations before digging into the more complex ones.

If you are aware of additional tips that could help in this instance, please do feel free to add any expertise. ATV Connection is a community first and foremost after all.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Please do feel free to contribute any personal info that could potentially help the original poster- we do our best to answer questions by calling dealerships, mechanics, reviewing microfiche and OEM parts catalogs but are not the end-all authority by any means.

In this particular instance the starting point of adjusting the throttle stop (as well as the recommended RPM at idle) came directly from the Yamaha Breeze's owner's manual. You can view a scan of the actual page here:
Idle Speed Adjustment - Yamaha BREEZE YFA1P Owner's Manual [Page 112]

The carb from model years 1989-2004 (OEM part # 5VJ-14101-20-00) appears to have only a pair of external adjustment screws:

Our answer is to serve as a starting point to diagnose a rough idle not just on the Breeze but in general. Issues like valve adjustments are always a potential culprit but we generally start by diagnosing the simple explanations before digging into the more complex ones.

If you are aware of additional tips that could help in this instance, please do feel free to add any expertise. ATV Connection is a community first and foremost after all.
When I have time, I do try to help others in resolving their ATV issues. In this particular post, the picture ( handlebar throttle limiter screw ) in which was shown has nothing to do with idle speed, the screw displayed in the picture simply limits the amount throttle in which can be applied, therefore limiting "top speed" for a beginner rider.
The next issue. The idle mixture screw controls the mixture at idle, not the idle screw....a word was left out there ( mixture ) and could be very confusing for the Original Poster.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Quad Patrol

Good call- we'll add the missing word to the original response. The image in question was also taken from the manual but we'll see if we can't hunt down an image that accurately displays the throttle stop screw.

Check back in a little bit for an amended version of the response.

Edit: As expected, we weren't able to locate a pic of the actual throttle stop adjustment- but you are right in that the original image shown was of the speed limiter screw. We've since taken that one down but if you or anyone reading this can upload the correct image, that would be great. We don't have access to this particular model on hand to provide one of our own, unfortunately.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good call- we'll add the missing word to the original response. The image in question was also taken from the manual but we'll see if we can't hunt down an image that accurately displays the throttle stop screw.

Check back in a little bit for an amended version of the response.

Edit: As expected, we weren't able to locate a pic of the actual throttle stop adjustment- but you are right in that the original image shown was of the speed limiter screw. We've since taken that one down but if you or anyone reading this can upload the correct image, that would be great. We don't have access to this particular model on hand to provide one of our own, unfortunately.
I appreciate your quick action and response and if the OP is still here, I'm sure that person does as well. I don't have a pic or I would be glad to post it here, sorry.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to ensure the carb slide and needle jet are installed correctly...the idle adjuster simply moves the slide up to increase idle.

There could be an idle (pilot) jet as well...these tend to have tiny holes that can clog easily...