ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Honda 200X restoration....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 200X restoration....

I have clarity on my new toy/project, it is a 200X for sure, I saw another piece of ripped sticker that had the tire pressure info on it and it said model 200X. "sweet!!!"

In regards to my previous post with the shock clunking...I think I know what the clunking was...and it seemed to sway a little too... The shock is probably shot as another person pointed out, and when I looked close I saw the swing arm bolt on each side was loose!! I picked it up and threw it on a crate and totally stripped it down to the frame tonight. "sans the rubber pieces and some misc. wires"

I am gonna build it from the ground up. I will post pics when I am done. I am gonna powdercoat the frame and the swingarm. Maybe the forks and triple clamps as well. I am debating what color to do it in.... I am thinking red or blue for the frame. I am gonna either paint the gas tank or get a plastic one instead. Maybe white or something???

What all can ya do to these things mod wise? I think the wireing is gonna be a real bear trying to put it back together.....:ermm: I never did this dort of thing befoe and dont have much mechanical knowledge yet. But this 24yr old MAN cough....cough... grunt, grunt, grunt....don't need directions!! "kidding, I will cry for help here throughout the whole process. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hahaha
I hope the frame is straight... is there any way to tell??? it looks good to me but I am not the authority on frames. No extra welds or cracks as far as I can see either which is good. Should I have gussets placed on it before it gets blasted and powdercoated, it IS old....

Any other tips for a restoration? I am open to suggestions. I am in PA like I said so if anyone has parts that is sorta close, hit me up witha PM or an e-mail koblow79@hotmail.com

Thanks!! Tom...<><

Old 07-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/...m=R2&catref=C3

this long freekin retarded-looking link is from ebay about 1 minute ago. alot of good parts for a 200x.
but if the link dont work, just go to ebay>ebaymotors>atv parts> type 200x in the search field and it will return a bunch of stuff. also, its prob not on their website but try www.servicehonda.com. they have NEW OEM honda parts for WAY off the retail price.

for the wiring, just buy all that new too! it prob wont be too expensive form service honda or ebay considering you only paid $5 for the bike!

on the frame, you can gusset it, but havent heard of these frames really needing it. but its been a while so i may not recall. If you do gusset, yes, you want to do that before powdercoating it.
i would suggest you leave the frame red or whatever was original. helps resale value. If I were you, i try to make it look like the 86 200X. It looked the best but that takes away from original if it wasnt an 86... on the other hand if you do a good job you will have a gem.

i rode an 86 200x before and it would haul pretty good and keep up with the warrior I had then. Top speed - they are respectably fast bikes- they just dont feel like it. they handle pretty good for a 3wheeler too....Obvioulsy, speed-wise, they are nothing compared to an atc250r though... thats another story.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Twenty,
Yeah, I am looking on ebay now, decent stuff hopefully something shows up that I need.

You are spot on my freind with your idea about Service Honda! I will definitly buy new wireing, I hade not even thought of that yet! Will the VIN number on the frame show me the year? How can I get the factory frame color? I had considered doing it either Red,White and Blue "the whole Trike" I really was blessed to get that for five beans though! I am gonna go see if i can find a site that sells new parts, all I really need is the engine and wireing. Plastic is good, but I still want new. I just want a cool trike to play on, not really beat it on trails or anything. Just wheelie from time to time and stuff. I am 24yrs old man, I never had one before and its just a cool thing for me now.

Do you know how to go about with restoring an engine thats complete? I was thinking high gloss, high temp black spray paint???? And last but not least have you any ballpark figures of whata complete rebuild for forks and a shock as well as an engine would run? I was thinking maybe $300- with labor for the motor, and maybe $250- for the suspension??? My dad was like sell the thing when your done, I was like NO WAY! I want to play with it!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I want a 350X also. I Did ride a 250R....I was in like 8th grade, it FLEW!!!!! The cops thought so too, they had a drunk driver camera on me and some friends when I was doing donuts in the baseball diamond's sand at a local school.... hehehe

Other then like one other time I only rode maybe 2-3 different trikes for one time each. They handle funky but I still think there neat.

I appreciate your help and time, I will most definitly show ya pics when I get them. I took polaroids tonight before I stripped it down so I can try to scan them or something on a friends scanner. "mine is broke."

All the best! Tom...<><

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

there should be a number on the frame or forks. it is like the vin number, so if you take the number to a honda dealer or somewhere that knows, they could tell you what year it is. If the plastic peices on the side of the tank are NOT white then it is NOT an 86. 82??(i dont think they actually made a 1982 model) 83-85 had red plastic shrouds there, 86 had sleeker, white ones and they looked better. i dont know if honda sells paint. seems like i fumbled around on one of there sites one time and saw some touchup paint. a honda shop, if they are not buttholes, should be able to help you out with this. i would go original honda red on the frame or powder coat it red or like a silver or something. blue would clash with the red fenders (they are red huh?) But if you bought 86 fenders, they are white, so blue would look ok, but not as good as red.
im not an engine builder, so i cant really tell you what it would cost for that but there are a lot of places on the internet that salvage parts and sell these engines. If I were doing it, i would try to get a new engine so that way you just bolt it in pretty much. But if that is too steep, then get a GOOD salvage yard or ebay engine and send it off to get TOTALLY rebuilt to where all you have to do when you got it back is to bolt it in, put in your new wiring, linkage, pipe and crap and youre basically done with that phase.
your dad has a point with selling it. if you do this right, you could make a profit. BUt lifes too short, live it while you can...if theres something you want to do, then do it! Im only a few years older than you, and hopefully i will be riding until i am 100!

Old 07-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

I found a post by KNOWSALOT and checked the VIN, she is a 1984, cool!
It was the TENTH letter in the VIN that determined that, KNOWSALOT posted it was the 9th....the 9th was a number and his scale showed the letter so I went to the next one and it matched.

I am thinking about just doing a custom job, I was gonna keep it factory, but I always wanted to do a custom something from the ground up....any ideas? I am thinking a candy color for the frame,swing arm,hubs,lower fork tubes, tank, and triple clamps as well as the rotors. I talked to a local guy today who will powdercoat the frame and swingarm for $120- including hand sanding after sandblasting,prep, etc!!!!! That sounds cheap to me and his work looks GOOD.

I just need a complete engine thats in PA hopefully thats in clean shape. I am trying to keep costs down but have some some grenades on auctionarms that I am trying to sell and would trade, they are USGI sealed in container and collectable as they are consecutive lot numbers!! My seller name is Bullet Hose there. check it out if your interested. it is a .com site for the record.

Anyone know of links that have custom or aftermarket 200X parts?? I am gonna check Service Honda for the wireing and maybe all new bolts, as well as something else I am forgetting at the moment.

Any PA guys wanna sell/trade????? koblow79@hotmail.com [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

Clarification.....the said grenades are SMOKE grenades, perfectly legal "obviously" I just read the post and I neglected to mention that the first time...lol, I just didn't want any tree hugger to freak out.

Not into the following anymore but it IS 100% legal for ANYONE that is allowded to own firearms and is over 21 to have registered machine guns, suppressors, and destructive devices. So Pbttttt!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I sold all mine though. Uncle Sugar still has all of my $200- a piece tax stamp money though.....grrrr [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

You should be able to get the shock rebuilt for about $100, as long as the shaft is straight and not pitted. I just had my '83 200x shock (as well as a quadracer a few years ago) rebuilt at Shock Therapy Racing in Durand, Michigan. They did a good job and they will set it up for your weight and riding style. If you get one on Ebay, you will most likely have to get it rebuilt anyway, so you are better off rebuilding yours if it is in good shape. Their website is www.shocktherapyracing.com and it tells you their phone number and shipping info right there. As for the forks, get yourself a shop manual (you will probably need one anyway) and do it yourself. The parts cost me about $45 at the dealer for all the seals and fork oil. It's a pain in the ***, but you will learn a lot doing it yourself, plus it will help you build your confidence to tackle other stuff on the trike. Good luck, we have to keep these things alive.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the link! I was talking to my local Honda dealer "one of the many" and they said they will rebuild my shock AND forks for $55.00 "an hours labor" plus $20-30- for parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." ...I couldn't have put it better myself.

We will definitly keep these things around! When I have kids, I plan on having one for them to play on thats MINT!

Would you ever sell your Tri-Z's? I would bite in the near future if they are in great shape....PM me if you would consider selling one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])