ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Reeds and Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reeds and Valves

Hey guys-

I was looking at replacing my stock reeds (read: original from 1986!) for my 86 250R with something a little fresher, or going with a rad valve kit... Anyone had any experience with the rad valve setup or going to a carbon fiber reed? What kind of gains will I see with a rad valve? or with new reeds?

Also:
-Anyone with aftermarket exhaust systems on the 250R or other 2 stroke: what do you use to hold your silencer to the pipe(without welding preferrably, and do you get oil leakage in the pipe/silencer joint with your system?)

-I was looking at the rocky mountain atv fall catalog the other day, does the "Dial a Jet" really work? It sounds good in theory...

Any ideas or comments welcomed- Thanks-
Bulldog

Old 12-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reeds and Valves

When I asked my shop about reeds, they said that unless they're cracked, they're still good. The way I see it, it isn't going to hurt a thing if you replace them. I would say that any reed would be good, but we put Boyeson in the Banshee, can't tell any difference.
The exhaust, go to an automotive store and get a really tight spring no bigger than 3/4 of an inch in diameter and cut it down so that you have to really stretch it to get it on. Mine leaks oil out the front too, so...
As for the Dial-A-Jet, I can't say I've heard any thing about it.

Andy

Old 12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Reeds and Valves

I too run Boyseen Reeds. Haven't had much personal experience with dial a jet other than my friends sno X race sled that he blew up when he went one "click" too lean. He hasn't had any probs since fixing it and being a little conservative.

I too use a spring that I found at the local hardware store for the pipe to silencer joint. Seems to work well. Also replaced BOTH gaskets at the exh port to pipe connection because I had the same problem with oil coming out the front. I wrote that in caps because alot of people will only replace one of the gaskets because the second is usually gone all together. One gasket is like a big wrist pin c-clip and the other is a crushable gasket. If you take the pipe on and off enough, you will certainly either destroy or lose the crushable gasket. Both available at the local Honda Dealer.

Sorry I don't have any info on the RAD valve system. Hope someone replies who has experience with it.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Reeds and Valves

Thanks for the good replies- I replaced both gaskets on the front exhaust flange when I replaced my stock pipe with the FMF I have now. It seemed to slow down if not stop the oil leakage around the front flange. I am getting a small amount of oil leakage between the pipe and silencer joint, in addition to exhaust gas leakage when sitting at idle. The amount of leakage is smaller since i changed ratios and went with a better oil, but there is still a small amount. My aftermarket pipe and silencer do not have hooks for a spring. Would collars be the way to go?

Did you notice any difference in low end performance with new reeds?

Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Reeds and Valves

yes reeds certainly make a diffrence. if you want bottom end go with the rad valve. if you want top end go with v-forse reeds. if you want a great replacment reeds that wont crack or wear that fast get carbon tech reeds.