ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Tri z dies after a few mins!! plz help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri z dies after a few mins!! plz help?

hi i have an 86 tri z and after a few minites of bombing it around it will suddenly lose power and die on me!! n after a few minets of being left it will start up again and run for a few more mins!! i have cleaned all the cooling system and i don't think this is the problem as the temp light dosen't come on (temp light does work)!! HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM? DO I NEED TO AJUST THE TIMING OR ANYTHING?
thx
nipps

Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

check ur fuel pump un like other atc's an atv's ur tri-Z has a pump witch pumps fuel up to the carb i'm bettting this is ur prob. runnning outa fuel

Old 01-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

if it is the fuel pump then why would it run fine when its cool and start dieing when its been going for a few minets!!
i have taken the fuel pipe off that goes into the carb and when i kick it over it will gush out fuel!!
thx

Old 01-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

no fuel/slow fuel

Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

plugged tank vent tube? I know this can cause problems with slow fuel etc on other wheelers---

Old 01-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

if it is the fuel pump then why would it run fine when its cool and start dieing when its been going for a few minets!!
i have taken the fuel pipe off that goes into the carb and when i kick it over it will gush out fuel!!
thx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for replying just trying to help

hope U figure it out

Old 02-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

hiya
i set to work on my tri z this weekend and i clened the carb, spark plug, air intake and fule pump ect
anyways its all fine and the trikes working for a longer amount of time now but after a wile it still dies on me but when it starts to die if i pull the chock up for a few seconds and then put it down again it will be fine for another 10 seconds of the power band (its fine all the time when i don't rev it into the powerband!!) the fule pump works fine! although i carn't help but feel that the carbs float valve is too small!!
any ideas as to what the problem is?
nipps

Old 02-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like carb problems to me...next time it quits running, take out the plug and check for spark. You could have a weak coil, and checking for spark will rule it out if you have spark.
Pulling the "choke" which is really an enrichener, richens the idle circuit, which means youre probably too lean. Does it only die if you try to let it idle? do you have any other symtoms?could the muffler be restricted?
Could be the mixture/air screw is out of adjustment, or float level is too low. Could be a plugged vent tube or gas cap.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

it won't die if i run it around without going into the power band and so its fine ideling!! there is a big gap between the exaust pipe and the engine (alot of smoke comes out around the front of the engine)!! could this cause the problem?
thx
nipps

Old 02-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well you certianly want to get the exhaust leak taken care of, sounds like the exhaust rings are in need of replacement. As for your fuel issue, I am not well versed in Tri-Z design, but may I ask, does any of your fuel system delivery (fuel lines) run near any part of the engine or exhaust before it reaches the carb? If not then it most definately sounds like a carb prob, but if a fuel line runs too close to the exhaust, you may be experiancing what's called vapor lock. It is more common in older cars, I found out the hard way when my motorhome did it in the hot desert. Essentially the fuel is evaproated before it reaches the carb because it gets too hot. It's a long shot, but one to check anyway.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Tri z dies after a few mins!! plz help?