ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

do 3 wheelers float?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do 3 wheelers float?

I have a 83 185s,85 250sx wondering if they float? Iheard years ago that they floated.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reminds me of a story my dad told me a couple years ago. Someone was wondering if their ATC 250R would float, one fellow sarcastically told him yeah, it will. Anywho, this assclown ramped a lake damn and his wheeler sank to the bottom.

In theory, if you air the tires up, way up, it should float. I'm thinking maybe 20-30 psi???
It probably won't float right side up though.

The following users liked this post:
James Prueher (01-23-2020)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

yea, my dad used to float his trike down the river and get out. down in the bottoms.....You would really have to have huge tires like he did, and run a vaccuum hose from the intake and exhaust. jake

Old 01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

Years ago I worked with a guy who had a honda 3 wheeler, don't remenber what size. Him and his brother broke thru the ice while fishing. He said it floated.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

abilty to float is based on simple principles of water displacement, i cant see that an atc would actualy float cos you need to displace a volume of water equal in weight to the wheeler, your wheels just arnt big enough to do that,

you could probably do a nice job of aquaplainig tho,

Old 01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

buy some giant balloon tires and stick em on that 185, i bet it will work. If not, you still have a 250sx[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

hey your 250sx will fload as long as u keep on the throttle and keep the tires moving ind as long as i dont have anythginunder 20 inches in the rear ujust keep it slow and easy and be care ful how u shift your weight. i have had many good atempts at forgign rivers and ponds with my sx so good luck and make sure u have ur airbox sealed up pretty goodand the littel check bootie on the bottom have fun and stay dry.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I had a Honda 110 and and I believe it was a 200 Yamaha 3 wheeler could of been a 185 though, still have nitemares from the time I tried to cross a river on it and guess what it floated, right out from under me and down the river and got snagged in a log jamb. Almost drowned in river while trying to get a rope attached to it and get back to shore. As for the 110 it would also float, I just did not take it across anything but beaver ponds as I was a little gun shy of rivers. After that bad incident and also rolling it down a mountain when the brake cable snapped I was able to talk my wife into letting me by a King Quad, of course she was picking large chunks of shale and dirt out of my face so it was not hard to do. But yes indeed they do float and I only had about 5 to 6 pounds in each tire, I do not think you could get 30 pounds into the tire without it blowing up. The rolling and almost drowning happened on the same trip. AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about that particular 3 wheeler. but i know the old "BIG RED" do. But there is only one way to find out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

From my experiance, an ATC110 floats pretty good without someone on it, the '84 250r just floats enought to get bad traction until the motor drowns and a Tri-Z 250 floats upside down with the tires just breaking the surface, don't try that one at home.

Quick Reply: do 3 wheelers float?