ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

250R Hopups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R Hopups?

Hi guys I'm new!

Just a bit of my history: I started riding on a 1984 200M ATC that my dad bought me. I then got into dirt bikes for a while and rode a 1986 CR80. I sold that and got back into a 1983 250R ATC that I still own to this day (but it needs some work). Somewhere in there I owned a Kawasaki Mojave quad for a bit but sold it to buy my first car when I turned 16.

Fast forward 10 years later to today. I just traded client a computer for a 1986 250R ATC. Looking very forward to getting back behind the handle bars and looking to what accessories I may get for it. Do companies still make pipes for them? What are some other power mods a guy can do? I noticed most of the parts are available on eBay which rocks, we had a hard time getting parts back in the day. Once I get riding again I may look at bringing my old 83 back and getting it going again.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Hopups?

congrats on the new toy bro![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] yes you can still get ALOT of parts for the 85-86's. If you want cheap hop ups that will make a diffrence you can notice some things you could consider would be....

1- new pipe. You could consider FMF. They have diffrene types of pipes for diffrent type of riding available for the trikes unlike some other CO.

2- you could get a 1989 CR250 head gasket for it which will raise compression a good amount, or you can take the stock head gasket and take it apart so you have 3 pieces. 2 small ones and 1 big one. you could then use one of the thin pieces and the compression will go up even more from the CR gasket. I have never had trouble with either.

3- two words- UNI FILTER

4- new set of reeds and mabey even a new reed cage. If you are only going to get replacement reeds I recomend the carbon fiber reeds. they last long, work good, and dont break. If your going to get a whole new cage with the reeds included, get either the boyseen rad vavle or the V-foce reed cage. The rad valve will improve power in the bottom-mid better than mid-top. The v-forse reed cage will improve power mid-top the most. It all depends on what type of riding you do.

5- you might as well get a new carb so you wont have to deal will leaking, or smoothness. I recomend the kiehen 36MM A/S for all around power. This will be a great improvement over the stock PJ34mm JUNK carb! You should also get a jet kit.

6- You should get the NGK plug BR8ES and re gap it at 0.030 because the 250R's ignition system is a weak one.

7- Make sure you have a good oil to mix with your gas.

8- I dont know how the top end is on that bike but IF your going to rebuild it You should bore it some and put a new piston/rings in it. I would recomend wiesco or pro-X kits. they are lighter over stock pistons and will add a tad bit of compression.

After that you should have a sweet running bike

Old 04-06-2004, 05:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Hopups?

drag,
im having a hell of a time with my wireing, (everything) would it be better to convert it over to a trx system (i have an 85 250r atc) and i would but the whole system new if they still made an after market. if so what company. i tried to order from honda and the harness and switch assem. is dicontinued. i bought a new coil and now trying for the cdi box and the metal back box.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Hopups?

Whoa, thats a lot of info, thanks Dragracer789. A couple questions to your response:
1. FMF still sells pipes for 1986 ATCs?
2. Any diagrams or explanations of what a reed valve is? I never did understand what a reed valve does.
3. Any recommended oil? I picked up some Motomaster stuff last night, it was cheap enough, but I want to run good quality stuff in my trike.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:13 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 250R Hopups?

FMF, ESR and a couple other still make pipes for the watercooled R trikes.

www.boyesen.com - great reeds and info site.

www.esr250.com

the 85-86 are shares almost all internal engine parts as the TRX 250r which is still one of the most popular quad to date.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Hopups?

250rctracing310kit- yes i am pretty sure you can get an eletrical system from a trx. they are all a resistor type system so there shouldnt be to much diffrences. You could also call ESR and get the CR250 system. I heard its a good product and improves performance alot, but if you are doing any riding where alot of bottom end is required I would not go with it, because the flywheel is really small.

NinjaViper- yup alot of companys still sell pipes for the water cooled 250R's. I wasnt sure if ESR made pipes for them but if they really do as HA2 said then I would recomend going with one of there pipes instead of the FMF. They specialize in 250R's. HA2 also provided a link to boyesen products which im sure they will have a diagram of one for you to look at. A couple good oils are: Redline, Klotz, Golden Spectro, Amsoil. You can pick up Amsoil at V.I.P stores. You will probably have to order any other of those oils. Anyways, if the oil is synthetic mix it at 40:1. Its clean and safe. If you have any other questions just ask. Im more than happy to answer any of them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Hopups?

PVL also makes a complete replacement system for 250r electrics. They don't have a lighting coil tho. Their system works well. I have one and no complaints.

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 250R Hopups?

i have a FMF pipe, its nice, looks great, but im considering a ESR atc pipe. if its anything like there ESR5 for the trx quality is, its got to be better.