ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

complete trike rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete trike rebuild

yeah thats the manual i'm gonna buy(the clymer) i priced it,it is $40 but from what i been hearing it's worth it,now i'm gonna need a torque wrench so i will be buying one am i gonna need a torque wrench that is inch pounds or foot pounds?Also setting the timing i have no idea how to do this,also just to help me get in the right direction can you list me some tools i'm gonna need,I know i'll need a valvle spring compressor and a piston ring compressor i have a set of metric sockets,deep sockets and hex keys and alot od other tool wrenches etc(i been buyin all my tools metric cause i noticed most atv's are metric)if theres anything i missed please let me know,i just want to get everything i need before i tear into the engine the engine is sitting on my workbench now cause i don't wanna open it till i get my parts in,right now i'm concentrating on the chasis,that parts is comming along very well,so anymore info on the questions i posted would be sweet....thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 03:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got my manual off e-bay for $12us brand new. My book is set up all in Ft.lbs.
You will need a set of feeler gages ( to set the valves)
Other than that you sound as though you have it under control!

If you have any questions you can PM me or I will give you my e-mail if you want it.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:09 AM
Range Rover

what about setting the timing?Also how do you send a pm i don't see an option.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The book will lay out the timing very easy!!!!! and to send a PM just click on the littlepad-lock on my post...

Old 04-16-2004, 04:20 AM
Range Rover

Ok thanks..

Old 04-16-2004, 04:51 AM
Range Rover

Well i think i am going to buy all the tools i'm missing for this job and take my time and learn and do it myself,the way i figure you gotta learn somehow and somewhere,plus thrashandcrashuntilitstrash also motivated me a bit more most people i asked about me doing this myself said ohhh your gonna open it up and open the tranny and gears and all these little peices are gonna go flying and your gonna ruin your engine ,i so i'm just not gonna tell anyone i know and do it in my shed then they'll find out when i go out riding and my yamaha has a fresh rebuild.

Old 04-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

Well i bought the clymers manual today so i hope that helps me out ,seems to have a lot of info in it,i'm gonna have to sit down and read it from front to back..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok rob..just a few words of wisdom..never..never...tell yourself..your going to ruin yer engine..lol..look at it this way..if it wasn't bad off now..then why are you tearing into to it huh ?..lol..second..so far..i've rebuilt 3 3-wheelers..and one 4 wheeler..and best part I'VE NEVER READ ONE DAMN CLYMER BOOK !..LOL.you can always learn ..by DOING !..not doing..wont teach you one thing.check this out..i've restored 2 '82 honda 200e, 1 '83 honda 200e..and i'm working on my honda '84 200es..i can't tell you what i've learned by openning a tool box..and digging in..but..what i can tell you is..what ever you do..always..AND I MEAN ALWAYS..TAKE YOUR TIME..DONT RUSH IT...FIX IT SLOW AND RIGHT..BEATS THE CRAP OUT OUT FAST..AND WRONG..SO..go slow..and study each and every part you get to unbolt..cause..the next time you take one down to the frame..you will know what to do..AND WHAT NOT TO DO !..know matter what you decide to do..i've always considered it a great pride..and pleasure..fixing something..that once was dead..lol..thats the onething you must do..have fun..enjoy yourself..when yer done..pat yerself on the back..AND SAY..HEY..WHAT A DAMN GREAT JOB I'VE DONE ..BEST PART IS..IT RUNS !!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh..in case you haven't done it yet..you set the timming by the marking's on the crank..unscrew the vew cap on the left top side of your engine..you will see an arrow pointing to the middle of your crank...pull the starter rope VERYYYYYYYY SLOWLY until you will see to letters roll around..one will be a ( F )...and the other will be a ( T )..line up the ( T )..on the arrow..make sure your piston is at top dead center..stick a straw down the spark plug hole..becare not to drop a short one down in it..lol..if it's at top dead center..you should be able to tell as soon as you ease it down in it..now..over on the left hand side of your motor..you should see a round looking with 2 screws in it..it should have C.D.I on it ?..thats your pickup coil and timming, take the cover off..you will see a thing with wires attached to it..thats you pick up ..the thing in the middle that goes around..must be facing a bolt that has an circle on it..with a bolt by it ?..that needs to be lined up with a notch at the top of the head..now..once you get everything lined up..fasten everything down..be careful not to turn the crankshaft..otherwise..yu'll need to start all over..if you get all this down..turn the key..hit the start button..if all was done right..she should purr like a brandnew kitten !..

Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info,another update on my axles,i found out tonight there left handed threads that would be why i broke 3 wrenches trying to loosen the ring nut,i was trying to tighten them not knowing it.lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: complete trike rebuild