ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

complete trike rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete trike rebuild

Ok i'm in the process of rebuilding my whole trike right now i'm doing the chasis first then i'm gonna do the engine, i have a good amount of basic tools plus i'm always buying more every chance i get but what i'm wondering is what special tools am i gonna need to rebuild the engine on my bike,i never rebuilt a trike engine before but i've done lawnmowers back in high school,the reason i wanna do this myself along with the help of the clymer manual is cause i wanna learn and i figure what better way then building my own trike,i know i'm gonna need a ring compressor and a piston ring installer andvalve spring compressor,now what i want to know is what other tools do i need is there a special tool to lap the valves etc,any info will be appreciated,also any tips or tricks to make this job easier would be great to know too,feel free too post anything that may help me through out this process.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Range Rover

I forgot to mention what i'll be doing to the engine is putting a whole new topend rebuild kit, new fork and shaft in the transmission and all new gaskets,i'm also gonna change the timing chain and tensioner while i'm in there also the bike is a 1985 Yamaha YTM 225 Dr definatly worth the money and work in my opinion.Thanks in advance,Rob[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1) may I strongly suggest....get the "C" clamp style valve spring compressor
2) to lap the valves in all you need is valve lapping compound, and the tool looks like a stick with two suction cups on the ends, you should be able to pick the stuff up at any parts store(@$8)
A) word of advice.....put a small amount of lapping compound on the valve on the seat angle, seat the valve, with the suction cup stuck to the valve, spin it between your two hands(like you are making a boyscout fire with sticks) then lift the valve turn 90 deg, and do it again, and again, until you have a nice clean scuff on the valve seat and valve angle. (the lapping compound I use is from NAPA and is in a jell form)(lapping compound is a abrassive, remove ALL of it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
3)Timing chain and GUIDES, are a great idea!
4)All of the gasket kits I have purchased never include seals, so ckeck into it when you buy your stuff.
5) let the manual be your friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Have fun...it is only a lawnmower on roids........with a tranny stuck to it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

Thanks very much for the advice.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

anyone else have any suggesstions?

Old 04-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rob,

You might want to check into a flywheel puller and have a good set of Metric tools (sockets and allen wrenches). Possibly some circlip removers. Thats some of the tools that come to mind but there are probably a few more. Most importantly have fun.

Later
Rick

Old 04-16-2004, 02:22 AM
Range Rover

i'm just gonna pay someone to rebuild it cause i was told unless i done this job before i'll ruin my engine for sure no matter what if i attemt to do it myself..

Old 04-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Who told you that? 90% of the people in here learned by looking at a book and digging in. If you did not live so far away, I would rebuild it for you for free and show you everthing! If you rebuild it yourself you will have a better idea on how everthing works .....and respect it. my 5 cents worth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Range Rover

i still may try it myself i'm just worried about ruining my engine,plus i have over $700 in parts for the engine and transmission i don't wanna ruin any,i also need the replace the forks in my tranny is this a big job and am i gonna get stuck on since it will be my first time doing this?

Old 04-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The forks in the tranny are easy......Here are some pointers...
1) work on a clean large workbench.
2) Get a good book for your exact engine. I like my 'Clymer'
3) Keep track of your spacers.....The trans has quite a few but they are easy to keep track of
4) don't tear anything apart you do not need to...you will know what I mean when you read the book
5) replace the worn parts!!!!! alot of people just say itll be ok for now.....While you have it apart...fix it so you will not have to do it for another 20 years!
6)Lay your parts out in order you take them off
7) put it back together CLEAN!!!!!!!
8) Play loud music (ooops that is just me!)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: complete trike rebuild