ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

electronic (CDI) ignition mod - help, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic (CDI) ignition mod - help, please

My pair of ratty old 200m's are chugging along fine - I'm looking for help with a different project, and hoping I can find some knowledge.
I'm working on an old Yami RD350, with points ignition. Since 3 whlr parts are plentiful and cheap, I'm
considering trying to switch the RD over to an electronic ignition off , say, an 80's Honda. Obviously,
I need a pair of pickups, and I believe a pair of CDI boxes, and mount them in place of the points/condensor setup. I looked at my 200 Honda's CDI unti, and it looks doable. I don't have a
250R, so I don't know how those are setup . . . .

Here's my questions: Has anyone modified a 3 whlr heavily enough to know if the Honda CDI systems
can handle 10,000 rpm ? or at least 9 ? Also, would the more common 200m, big red, 200S systems
work ok as far as coil/spark power ? Are 250 or 350 systems significantly stronger ? Any obvious reasons
why this has no chance of working ?

Any other insights would be welcome - thanks in advance for any replies at all - I know it's a bit off
topic for an ATC forum . . . . Newtronics actually makes a kit to convert the Yami 350 over, but they
get almost $200 for it, and I have more time than money.

Oh, by the way, it turns out that missing 3 teeth in a row on the front sprocket of an ATC WILL
eventually throw the chain, especially if you're doing those cool full-throttle sliding S-turns on, say,
a gravel road . . . ask me how I know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . . . . yes, I put on a new sprocket.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

why not use the electronics from a banshee, the banshee motor is nearly identical. the banshee motor is diverived from the rz350 which is very close to the rd350.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 AM
The Facility

An RD and RZ are two COMPLETELY different engine designs entirely. About the only thing in common is that both are two stroke parallel twins.

There is a forum member here that goes by kiwicraig. I haven't seen him on here much in recent years, but does drop by from time to time. You may want to PM him with what you are trying to do. This guy is a genius with old Yamaha twins.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks deathman and knows - The RZ motor is derived from the D, but the crank end and stator
design are significantly different, which is why you can't just graft one on - good thought, but I
checked on that and it doesn't work.

I'll see if Kiwicraig is reachable - thanks again