ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

new atc, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new atc, need help please

hey guys, im a newbie here...i just purchased a 1982 honda 200 last weekend....well heres my problem...when i bought it, it was running great...i brought it home, went to my hunting lease with it, ran it all day without a problem...got it back to my truck and let it idle, then it just died...it was really hard to get it started again, when it would start, it would die out....i brought it home, took it apart and i really dont know what i did, but we got it running good again....then i changed the spark plug, wire, gas, and fuel filter....ran it for a couple days for about 5-10 minutes each day...well, yesterday, i took it out and rode it for around an hour or so, put it back in the backyard and let it idle, and again it died out like the first time....now, i cant get it started at all...i checked my new spark plug, and it is BLACK after only a day or so...i believe its getting a spark, but i dont know what to do next....i was thinking about buying a carb rebuild kit and another cdi box, maybe that would be it? i was hoping it would be an easy fix, i only need it to get to and from my deer stand for hunting season, but being able to ride it over the summer is a big plus....if anyone has any information that might help me out, please let me know...i would really appreciate it....thanks

Old 06-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

You can probably replace the plug and get it running. You really shouldn't let that thing idle long anyway. It is an aircooled engine and with no air flowing accross the fines they tend to get kinda hot especially if there is mud caked on the fines. Sounds like you are dumping to much fuel at idle though causing the bike to foul the plug. It could be somthing as simple as a dirty air filter or it could be in the carb.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

I think HMFIC hit it on the head. Looks like you are getting too much fuel at idle and it's fouling out the plug. Clean your filter and while you have it off make sure your choke is opening all the way. Put in a new plug and you will be good to go I bet. It would be a good idea to keep a spare or two handy.