ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

think my engines seizing, what's the signs - atc250r 82

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think my engines seizing, what's the signs - atc250r 82

AHHHH CRAP!

hi guys, sorry i had to make a new thread as its sort of a different subject now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Right lets tell the story, this is the depressing bit, because of the gear lever (please see my newbie thread) i have been riding in 2nd all the time, and yesterday (day before that now the 17th) when i was in my local woodland area, i started my 250r up and christ that took me a lifetime, but then i took it around slowy to warm up as you do, so i was then going along trying not to strain the engine to much otherwise the engine would have seized, so i was going along and all of a sudden it started blubbing, blub blub blub blub then cuts out, and the back wheels come to a skid, so i get up thinking crap my goggles must of fell and got caught in the axle or the chain has snapped, but nothing, so i went to kick it back over and the kick start was jammed, so i left it and finally it would kick, but nothing, it wouldnt kick over, it wanted to but nothing, so my mate towed me back to the van, i hope its because the oil is running low, so i bought some 10:40 sea teaxco oil, so when it stops raining ill fill it up, but my dad seems to think the engine has blown and the pistons and head are all mashed up,

please tell me its not, or what i can do, i cant get no bits in the uk as ATCS are banned from being sold and parts are not available not even from a honda supplier!

thinking now, day before yesterday the engine done it again, so maybe the engine is over heating and jamming the cogs from kicking over?

must be some sort of sign? ive only had it 5 days

help please friends!

ALSO PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NO MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE, SO I WILL NEED INSTRUCTIONS on HOW TO CHECK THE GASKET AND PISTONS OR WHAT SO...

Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1) when it cut out and died.. Did it just die while it was in gear? Where you trying to kick start it with it still in gear?? That would make sence if you were putting around and it died, They don't coast!

2) You said later you were able to kick start it again, but it won't start. Could you have fouled a plug? On a 2-stroke you can not "putt" around or you are going to foul out plugs all the time.

3) if you want to test your engine. Get a compression gage from an auto store and remove the spark plug and test the compression. While you have the spark plug out look into the cylinder and check out what it looks like.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

hey there buddy!

thanks for replying!

1) its always stuck in 2nd gear due to the lever, i havent got one on there, untill i get it fixed, but it always would start in 2nd, i would hold clutch in and kick over, it would be very hard to start and would need to be bumbed, i can get extremely fit from trying to kick it over! WHEWWW! ive also been riding around in 2nd for a few days and no problems, just lately and like i said it blubs out and the wheels come to a skid,

2) im not mechanical minded [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] so i havent checked the plug, i dont know where it is and i didnt even now it had one, thats how dumb i am, its all common sense but i see through that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] im going to do a total oil change, im gonna bleed it and put new in, then im going to clean the spark incase its oily and dirty etc, and see if it will kick then and start, please could you explain where i would find the spark, i take it im looking for a lead, leading to somewhere?

3) how would i do the compression check, is it just a prod you stick in and kick it and it reads the compression? also what should it be reading for compression? and to look in to the cylinder is this visable when i take the plug out, or do i have to strip the engine, and what am i looking for again? what signs of damage?

also can i ask, is my atc a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, its loud like a 4 stroke, and a few people have asked?
your knowlege is my gain! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

also is the oil 10:40 sea?

as i cant find out anywhere, the person i purchased it of said thats what oil it takes..... before i put the wrong oil in!

Old 11-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to tell you.....at this point you really, Really, REALLY need to buy a book for your 3 wheeler. You can buy them online for about 25 us dollars. I, and others, will help you out as much as we can but the book is a GREAT item to have when you own a 20+ year old machine. I have been working on engines for 15+ years and I own a book for both my cars and my 3 wheeler too; heck I even have one for my riding lawn mower.

There is a rubber wire going to the head(very top of the engine) . Pull it off the head, the spark plug is under that. Dont clean it, just buy a new one if you dont know what you are doing. They are pretty common you should be able to find one pretty easy.

You have a 2-stroke, that is why "putting" around is bad! They are built to run B@lls to the wall! ALSO have you been putting "2-stroke" oil in your fuel???? THIS is very important!

Use 10-40 Motorcycle oil

Old 11-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Trailblazer

ive got one last night on ebay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so will pay and wait for it.

and also i put 2stroke oil in with the petrol, i think ive not been mutting as much as i should have in.

ive only been putting in 100ml to 5 lts, and it should be 250ml to 5 lts, which i found out yesterday, so hopefully lack of oils in the atc is the problem and no real damage?

Old 11-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

the oil in a 2 stroke is the motor lubricant. to run with
a minimum mix may not lubricate and the bearing
surfaces may have been damaged. If you only put
an hour or so on it it may not have done bad things.
If you don't have a gear shifter you might be able to use
vice-grips to move it to neutral.
A compression gauge either screws into the spark plug
hole or has a rubber end that is held in to the hole.
A few good kicks and the gauge should hold the highest
reading.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY.. HE IS A SCAMMER AND IS WANTED BY THE COPS OVER IN THE UK.. HERE ARE SOME LINKS!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...8&page=1&pp=15

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthrea...hlight=ATCPHIL

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthrea...hlight=ATCPHIL

sorry for anyone that has gotten taken by this guy, this is just a warning for anyone else!

Jesse