ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

82(or 83) Honda 200x revival

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006 | 09:48 PM
Range Rover
Default 82(or 83) Honda 200x revival

Good news, keep us updated. If you've got fuel and spark, it will start. Something else. Once you have the spark situation sorted, get some fresh gas. It had a full tank when I got it so who knows long it was in there. I know it's about empty now.

Old 08-25-2006 | 09:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it has a full tank of 87 octane. Since it now has spark, and always had and has been getting fuel, Im wondering how the timing is. I mean, the spinning generator on the cam shaft..with the motor off, you can turn it by hand with little resistance. Did I fark up by turning this piece? Is it even supposed to be able to be turned?
I will say, my next ATC will be a Big Red with electric start! These recoil units are for not made for scrawny 24 year olds. : /

Old 08-25-2006 | 10:10 PM
Range Rover

The pulser unit shouldn't move, even if a screw is loose. There is a notch in the upper right side of it and a small finger holds it in place. As far as spinning the unit on the camshaft, are you sure you aren't just turning the motor over by hand? Also if you spin it the opposit direction I think it will turn with little resistance. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works!

Old 08-25-2006 | 10:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Turning it over by hand? Um, Im pretty sure thats darn near impossible. Im pulling the recoil and have a sore shoulder, and two blisters on my fingers as evidence.
I will search on the operation of the spinning part on the camshaft..

Old 08-25-2006 | 10:37 PM
Range Rover

I just rebuilt the top end and reset the timing on the TRX and I could spin the motor by turning the camshaft. I've got some monster masher hands though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2006 | 09:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

OK, its definately trying to start. Not on every pull, but every five or so. Its still getting spark but Im wondering if the spark isnt strong enough to ignite the mixture. I poured a bit of gas directly on the plug and it did nothing. It should have ignited the fuel right? Ive played with the gap from .045 to .020 and still no difference. The spark went from blue to a sort of redish when I went to .045. I dont know if thats good or bad?
I did clean the wires to the CDI black box and found one corroded. Stripped it to good wire and reconnected in the clamp(which wasnt corroded), and tried starting the trike. No dice. If the spark is weak, the ignition stator would be the culprit, right? I am out of ideas here and am at your mercy. Suggestions? Tow it behind a car? Roll it down a hill? Take it to the crusher and think happy thoughts while its getting turned into a cube? Im all ears! Thanks!

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Dude you cant pore gas right on the plug you just fouled it out... You want a nice CLEAN DRY plug for good ignition. The timing should not be off it ran before you brought it home. I would just get a new stator and see how it runs after that. or find out what the ohms should be on the stator and get that volt meter you said you where going to get and find out. If you do get a new one and its not it then it would be the cdi box or pulse generator...

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, Im about to just start throwing parts at it. I have three chances so I guess its not that bad.
Jeez, I will have nearly $700 into this thing(inc. cost to go get it), and it still needs restoration! Lesson learned the hard way I guess. *sigh*

Old 08-26-2006 | 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah man I had to do the same thing I bought one off of ebay too and got screwed too/worse lol... I mean if it is the stator then its only another 25 bucks so thats not bad.

Old 08-27-2006 | 10:19 AM
Range Rover

Jason, was the blue spark constant? If so, set the gap where you had it, that's what you want.

Rox- Don't go insinutating that I screwed someone on this deal. Check the auction, I was up front and honest. And Jason even said it ran good here. Nowhere did I say it's a trailer queen, but just a fun little ride.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

The auction was only bid up to $200, Jason did a buy it now, came out to get it quick, paid cash, great guy.

Quick Reply: 82(or 83) Honda 200x revival