ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Anyone want a side job/project?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone want a side job/project?

After looking into the knowledge and skill required to tear into and fix the transmission on my newly acquired 1981 250R, I'm not sure I have the guts to do it. Especially considering the person I got it from handed me a receipt for the engine rebuild to the tune of almost $700. I really would hate to screw anything else up in the process. I didn't realize it would be that much of a bigger undertaking than when I redid the tranny on my 125M.
So I'm offering anyone willing some CASH if they would be willing to do it for me? I'd take the motor off and ship it out to you, and then naturally pay for all parts and shipping back. I'm in no hurry on this project, I'd just like to have it done right. So if you are willing/able....let me know.
I'm located in central IOWA.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Ah I just think your makin the job out to be bigger then what it really is... I think if you redone the tranny on your 125 you should be able to do it on the 250... Just a thought...

Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

PM ThrashandCrashUntilItsTrash. He does side jobs. He does really good work. There are a few people here can vouch for him other than me.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

First I should ask this...could it be something in the shift linkage? Or do ya think it goes deeper into the tranny? This is the first manual clutch trike I've owned, and to be honest I don't think I'm gonna like it. But since I bought it I may as well get her up to snuff.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think there are too much difference between manual clutch and auto clutch is how the clutch itself ingages... On a manual clutch it disingages when you pull the clutch in and it pushes on the clutch and separates the clutch plates. and the auto clutch engages with centripital clutches...

Old 09-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Trailblazer

I just did my 81 last year, So I might be able to help you out.
What is wrong with it that it needs a rebuild?
I will post pix of my trike tomorrow when I get to my shop computer.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

Engine itself is fine, however it won't shift beyond second gear. Supposedly the person I bought it from had the motor rebuilt (I have the receipt for that) and in the process of putting it back together they did some work on the tranny parts...put some new parts in. But they must have installed them incorrectly because it doesn't shift past 2nd gear..and sometimes not even past 1st.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

So what your sayin is this guy took his motor somewhere and the rebuilt the top end. Then fixed something in the bottom end and messed everything up and never fixed it!?!?!?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

Essentially that is what I'm saying. As I see it he put $700 into the top end rebuild thought he could put the lower together himself and then got frustrated and sold the whole bike for $300 to me. So I'm sitting here with a great top end and some new lower end parts that need to be put together right. Provided nothing is too screwed up. Are the shift forks etc. inside the case? Do I have to split it to get to them? What about the shift drum? Could it be in there?
It's all together right now, and starts and idles great. Just won't go beyond second gear...and sometimes won't shift out of 1st. I'm wondering if maybe he has the shift forks in the wrong places? If I remember right...they are marked aren't they?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you have too split the case to get to them... and yes everything is down there... but I dont know if they are marked or not...

Quick Reply: Anyone want a side job/project?